BIG EAST & Catholic Schools Officially Announce Separation

The home for Big East hoops

Re: BIG EAST & Catholic Schools Officially Announce Separati

Postby podcast411 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:54 pm

There was only one sport mentioned by GU's President

Here is the quote

"As for the essential criteria of the schools that will be added, DeGioia, a member of the reform-minded Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics, cites three: Schools that put the student-athletes’ interests first, both in the classroom and on the playing fields; school whose athletic departments are conducted with integrity; and schools that play exceptional basketball."

FYI. No one here is an AD
podcast411

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby yorost » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:00 pm

We know, why does it have to come up every time another sport is talked about?
yorost

Postby SixTwentySix » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:04 pm

podcast411 wrote:There was only one sport mentioned by GU's President

Here is the quote

"As for the essential criteria of the schools that will be added, DeGioia, a member of the reform-minded Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics, cites three: Schools that put the student-athletes’ interests first, both in the classroom and on the playing fields; school whose athletic departments are conducted with integrity; and schools that play exceptional basketball."

FYI. No one here is an AD

So... just to clarify. No other sport matters, no fans of other sports exist, and the AD's aren't even taking other sports into consideration. That's what you're saying right?
Villanova
SixTwentySix

Postby BillEsq » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:29 pm

its a lost cause... i'm not wasting my time arguing quotes... without context they are useless.

Podcast, everyone one knows that Basketball is the number 1 thing... We all know that if you cannot play basketball at a high level your not being considered we bring up the non revs for two reasons.... most of these schools are pretty similar when it comes to basketball so non-revs can be seen as a tie-breaker. Secondly, there are some of us here who are excited that this league might not only be a good league in basketball but will also be a great soccer league. It will also have a chance to develop into a good lacrosse league. Heck i can't swim a lick but there might be people out there excited that the Big East will still be sponsoring swimming.

We understand that you only care about basketball, we also understand that you don't think that non-revs are important in the discussion. unfortunately we don't agree with you, and we like to talk about the potential of non-revs as well. If you don't like it too bad. Personally i think Lacrosse is a great sport who's popularity is booming especially in the target highschool populations for all of these respective colleges. many colleges are starting to make decisions to add lacrosse and to support lacrosse based on this. I don't see any reason why the Big East couldn't have a competitive and profitable lacrosse league in my opinion it only adds to the value and appeal of the league and its schools. Plus with Fox lacrosse other sports will likely get some airtime. If you don't like it, too bad. Turn off the tv, fox don't care they already will have their fees taken out of your cable bill every month whether you watch it or not.
BillEsq

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board