Is 13-14 Big East a continuation of 12-13 Big East?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Is 13-14 Big East a continuation of 12-13 Big East?

Postby BillEsq » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:36 pm

dmac80 wrote:
QueRico wrote:On another thread the question of which is "the conference" came up. The most important aspect being the existing automatic NCAA Tournament bid.

A poster seemed certain that the football schools are entitled to the bid in the eyes of the NCAA. Therefore the New Big East would have to apply for an additional automatic bid, bringing the total to 32 if approved. Both factions will meet the 2011-revised NCAA requirements (7 schools offering @ least 6 men's & 6 women's sports, including both M & W basketball). Does anyone foresee an issue w/ the NCAA getting this taken care of w/in one season to insure both leagues getting auto-bids regardless of who is "the new conference"? Of course I'm biased & believe that the bid should go along w/ the league name, history & records.

This is actually really important and deserves its own thread. It is absolutely crucial that the new Big East (C7) gets an auto bid, and hopefully one next year. To be taken seriously they need an auto bid. How likely/unlikely is that to happen? The media hasn't really mentioned it at all.

Nah easily answered any 7 schools that have played each other for a set number of years can start a new conference with a autobid. (NCAA rules) The C7 will meet every qualification for a NCAA conference and since they have 7 schools with a period of history they are awarded an new automatic bid.
BillEsq

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby dmac80 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:38 pm

from a legal standpoint I'm not sure I fully understand the concept of owning, buying, selling, transfering "history", but I imagine it means if the schools of the C7 keep the history then they can market, talk about, sell products, show media content etc based on that history, whereas the other schools cannot? Am I even headed in the right direction?

Anyway I would assume the FB schools keep their football specific history as what good does UCONN's football history do for the C7?

Also, what impact does the basketball history going with the C7 have on UCONN exactly?
Let's Go FRIARS!
dmac80

Postby Jet915 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:06 pm

dmac80 wrote:from a legal standpoint I'm not sure I fully understand the concept of owning, buying, selling, transfering "history", but I imagine it means if the schools of the C7 keep the history then they can market, talk about, sell products, show media content etc based on that history, whereas the other schools cannot? Am I even headed in the right direction?

Anyway I would assume the FB schools keep their football specific history as what good does UCONN's football history do for the C7?

Also, what impact does the basketball history going with the C7 have on UCONN exactly?

They do use it for marketing. I've seen Big Ten commercials showing Nebraska clips of them winning championships and what not and they weren't in the Big Ten when that happened....
Jet915

Postby SixTwentySix » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:13 pm

The history of "Big East Football" is just that... history. It's over, it's no more, it doesn't exist. It stays with the name the Big East and will always be a part of the Big East. Why would the Football schools take the Big East Football history with them into a brand new named conference, that makes no sense. UConn football will have it's history viewed the same exact way that Cuse's football will have theirs viewed when they're in the ACC.

Schools and conferences don't 'own' history, it's not a matter of who gets it, it can't be possessed as if it was something tangible. What the name brings is the right to continue the history and have it still be relevant to the programs involved.

The history of Big East Football stays with the Big East name... how could it possibly go anywhere else?
Villanova
SixTwentySix

Postby BillEsq » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:26 pm

SixTwentySix wrote:The history of "Big East Football" is just that... history. It's over, it's no more, it doesn't exist. It stays with the name the Big East and will always be a part of the Big East. Why would the Football schools take the Big East Football history with them into a brand new named conference, that makes no sense. UConn football will have it's history viewed the same exact way that Cuse's football will have theirs viewed when they're in the ACC.

Schools and conferences don't 'own' history, it's not a matter of who gets it, it can't be possessed as if it was something tangible. What the name brings is the right to continue the history and have it still be relevant to the programs involved.

The history of Big East Football stays with the Big East name... how could it possibly go anywhere else?

history is tangible you can sell images and media rights. People buy and sell history all of the time. Classic example Cleveland Browns
BillEsq

Postby BillEsq » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:30 pm

dmac80 wrote:from a legal standpoint I'm not sure I fully understand the concept of owning, buying, selling, transfering "history", but I imagine it means if the schools of the C7 keep the history then they can market, talk about, sell products, show media content etc based on that history, whereas the other schools cannot? Am I even headed in the right direction?

Legally selling history and media rights is a pain in the butt. I'm not that kind of lawyer and will gladly differ to anyone with any expertise on that matter. I can tell you that it happens all of the time, especially in sports. Classic Example the Cleveland Browns.

As far as the UConn thing i don't know without seeing the contract i'd really just be guessing UConn may have their old media rights they may not. The C7 might just have bought the records and stats and not any of the media rights (those going to each school). There are so many different questions and factors that without the contract itself to look at it would be basically worthless to speculate on.
BillEsq

Postby SixTwentySix » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:36 pm

BillEsq wrote:
SixTwentySix wrote:The history of "Big East Football" is just that... history. It's over, it's no more, it doesn't exist. It stays with the name the Big East and will always be a part of the Big East. Why would the Football schools take the Big East Football history with them into a brand new named conference, that makes no sense. UConn football will have it's history viewed the same exact way that Cuse's football will have theirs viewed when they're in the ACC.

history is tangible you can sell images and media rights. People buy and sell history all of the time. Classic example Cleveland Browns

History of an organization or company is a different ballgame... This is a conference. If the football schools decide to call themselves the America 12, they can't say "America 12 football started in 1991". Their history starts from scratch, it's a new conference. I mean maybe they can but that doesn't make any sense to me.
Villanova
SixTwentySix

Postby BillEsq » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:42 pm

A conference is a business. This happens all the time in college sports with conference changing their names and keeping their history - See Summit and Horizon League as two examples off the top of my head.
BillEsq

Postby yorost » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:46 pm

The Pac 12 has had some drastic name changes over the years. It disbanded at one point, even, but still claims the history, I think. The B1G was originally the Intercollegiate Conference of Faculty Representatives and still claims that as their start. Big didn't come around for a decade or so after their start.

Claiming the history of a different named conference is not odd. This is certainly a more unusual case, but having the name American 12 does not preclude them from Big East history.
yorost

Postby SixTwentySix » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:57 pm

I really like all of you and respect all of you... but you're not good for my health. I haven't slept in a month because of C7 anxiety. I was supposed to be free today, there was supposed to be an announcement that allowed me to drift off happily in the warmth of my bed tonight, content with knowing the facts. But to no avail. Instead I have the minds at The Holy Land of Hoops throwing curve balls at me, laced with a history lesson. Thanks to all of you, I now have to research this all night and not sleep again... Ya jerks.
Villanova
SixTwentySix

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board