Is 13-14 Big East a continuation of 12-13 Big East?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Is 13-14 Big East a continuation of 12-13 Big East?

Postby BillEsq » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:02 pm

facts Glorious precious few facts... when the rumors start repeating they are all we have....

Don't feel bad we are all in the same boat... if it makes you feel better... your team one last night and is already in the c7.... my team lost last night... and only makes the rumors about 50% of the time...
BillEsq

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby SixTwentySix » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:31 pm

BillEsq wrote:facts Glorious precious few facts... when the rumors start repeating they are all we have....

Don't feel bad we are all in the same boat... if it makes you feel better... your team one last night and is already in the c7.... my team lost last night... and only makes the rumors about 50% of the time...

I really hope SLU gets in for a number of reasons.

1. The Billiken is the most outrageous mascot on the planet.
2. It's really fun to say SLU as a word. "Nova is playing Slew tonight, should be a great game"
3. You guys have that weird arch thing they always show in the background when they do the "This game is brought to you by..." part of a televised sporting event.
4. Oatmeal.
5. Although I'm sure they exist, I am yet to meet a SLU fan that was an asshat. You all seem very respectful thus far.

See? You guys are in... I should mail this list to Jay Wright...
Villanova
SixTwentySix

Postby BillEsq » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:15 pm

SixTwentySix wrote:
BillEsq wrote:facts Glorious precious few facts... when the rumors start repeating they are all we have....

2. It's really fun to say SLU as a word. "Nova is playing Slew tonight, should be a great game"
3. You guys have that weird arch thing they always show in the background when they do the "This game is brought to you by..." part of a televised sporting event.
4. Oatmeal.
5. Although I'm sure they exist, I am yet to meet a SLU fan that was an asshat. You all seem very respectful thus far.

See? You guys are in... I should mail this list to Jay Wright...

Really i have never met a bad mannered SLU fan and that is after going to hundreds of games. I don't post on the boards but after a few years of lurking there most them pretty good outside of a few more excitable ones. I'm sure if you give one a few beers you might be able to start a ruckus, and before a game smack is definitely talked but i have never heard or seen anything out of the ordinary and i admit that this season SLU fans have been a bit excitable (understandingly so) but for the most part we don't gloat and rub things in.

I think this has to do with the SLU mindset we want to play competitive basketball and respect teams that do the same. While we want to compete with similar minded schools we don't bear them any ill will. While our teams are usually physical on the court, i can not remember any ugly incidents involving the players and the fans likewise might get exited on game day but usually wish the best for our opponents. Bills games are really quite fun our pep band is second to none and its usually a great atmosphere. I think you guys would enjoy having us as regular opponents
BillEsq

Postby classof29 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:48 pm

SixTwentySix wrote:

Would love to see St.L, but I have to take offense to the "most outrageous" mascot...unless most outrageous and creepiest are different. Please check out this from Providence.

previous mascot to start then current mascot head, also a dinosaur for good measure....enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgyRyWwYA34&sns=em
Providence College
classof29

Postby bostonfriar » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:32 am

The BB7 get an auto bid for the toruney champion because they have sufficent number of teams who played together for 5 or more years. NCAA is adding an auto bid so both conferences keep a bid. At large goes down 1 bid.

Not a problem.
bostonfriar

Postby SixTwentySix » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:24 pm

From everything I've read, there's two ways to look at this legally. The first is that this is considered a split and both the "America 12" and the Big East are continuations of the old conference. The second is that the new Big East is the sole continuation and the "America 12" is considered a brand new conference.

If the "America 12" is being considered a new conference, all of their record books start from scratch. So having the rights to the history of Big East football is meaningless.

If this is legally considered a split, I imagine the history and records could be split as well, football history going to the "America 12" and everything else going to the Big East.

I'm still reading up on this and haven't found anything definitive, but this is what I've gathered so far. Will be interesting to see how this all ends up.
Villanova
SixTwentySix

Postby James » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:17 am

picodulce wrote:The question about keeping the football records is a good one. Can a conference separate those? I have no idea. I'll ask around.

Big fan of your blog on sbnation. Keep up the good work!
We are New York's team. We are St. John's.
James

Postby BillEsq » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:16 pm

SixTwentySix wrote:From everything I've read, there's two ways to look at this legally. The first is that this is considered a split and both the "America 12" and the Big East are continuations of the old conference. The second is that the new Big East is the sole continuation and the "America 12" is considered a brand new conference.

If the "America 12" is being considered a new conference, all of their record books start from scratch. So having the rights to the history of Big East football is meaningless.

If this is legally considered a split, I imagine the history and records could be split as well, football history going to the "America 12" and everything else going to the Big East.

I'm still reading up on this and haven't found anything definitive, but this is what I've gathered so far. Will be interesting to see how this all ends up.

I'm familiar with two historical situations similar to this one. When the Big 8 left the MVC and when the SEC and SoCon split, although i don't know what happened. I think in the former the MVC got the stats and in the second the SoCon did but i'm not sure.
BillEsq

Postby QueRico » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:57 pm

bostonfriar wrote:The BB7 get an auto bid for the toruney champion because they have sufficent number of teams who played together for 5 or more years. NCAA is adding an auto bid so both conferences keep a bid. At large goes down 1 bid.

Not a problem.

The NCAA rules changed in 2011-12 to eliminate the "schools playing together for 5 years" provision. This provision has been speculated as the reason for bringing in Depaul & Marquette to the BE @ the time. Starting in 2011-12, a conference of 7 schools fielding 6 men's & 6 women's sports (including both M & W basketball) is eligible for an automatic bid. There is no longer a continuity requirement.
An example of the new rule is the WAC. W/ so many defections due to conference realignment, they had to add 3 members to retain their autobid. These members obviously wouldn't have been playing together for 5 years & the WAC would have lost their bid under the old rules. The football BE conference will meet the new rules, but wouldn't have met the old rules.
http://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/2011-01-1 ... -auto-bids
QueRico

Postby yorost » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:57 pm

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... t/2003477/

Providence president Fr. Brian Shanley said on a teleconference Wednesday. "The Big East will just keep going on, being the inheritor if you will, of the traditions and the records of the conference."

Answers this affirmatively for basketball, at least. It's not clear about football or other sports.
yorost

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board