How to keep teams in the C7/Big East -exit fees

The home for Big East hoops

Postby dmac80 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:53 am

The league isn't even official yet, no commissioner, no office, etc. So this is premature, but just for conversation, how do we keep teams IN the C7/Big East? Suppose ND makes a shock announcement they're not joining the ACC and joining the C7/Big East permanently, how do we lock them in or at least make it more difficult to leave. Astronomical exit fees and waiting periods? I think this is something the new league has to prioritize, even though they've got the right idea by keeping football out for the most part, you never can protect your league enough, as we've learned. Let's hope they make this league tight and stable for a long long time.
Let's Go FRIARS!
dmac80

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: How to keep teams in the C7/Big East -exit fees

Postby DeltaV » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:32 am

Excommunication.

On a serious note, maybe a nice round ten million?
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby BillEsq » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:34 am

dmac80 wrote:The league isn't even official yet, no commissioner, no office, etc. So this is premature, but just for conversation, how do we keep teams IN the C7/Big East? Suppose ND makes a shock announcement they're not joining the ACC and joining the C7/Big East permanently, how do we lock them in or at least make it more difficult to leave. Astronomical exit fees and waiting periods? I think this is something the new league has to prioritize, even though they've got the right idea by keeping football out for the most part, you never can protect your league enough, as we've learned. Let's hope they make this league tight and stable for a long long time.

Its easy you don't have football. At this point without football you don't have to worry. ND with its independent FBS program creates at most 1 spot out there for a Non football school in some major conference. The BCS conferences do not need C7 schools for their markets as they already likely have FBS schools there.

As far as poaching from other bball leagues you don't have to worry about the A-10 or any other. I read a comment somewhere that i liked about when the rumor was that the A-10 was going to absorb the C-7. "its a dog eat dog world, and chihuahuas don't eat pit bulls."

The fact is that the C7 will be top dog in the non football world and the other small conferences will fear them and any potential expansion. That said expect a exit fee around 5 million in both the C7 and A-10 next year.
BillEsq

Postby yorost » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:43 am

Yeah, it's not protection against basketball conferences, it's protection against a power conference trying a basketball hybrid, again. If the ACC cam calling most of our schools would consider jumping, I think. It seems unlikely, and it seems like our schools might not want to be back in that situation if this conference achieves the expected quality, but you never know. Once football expansion is done, basketball is the next most profitable sport, there could be some push for additional moves, there, who knows.

A grant of rights was hinted at in an article about Georgetown. That would be a serious commitment if the schools volunteer to that from the start and would make a heavy exit fee not as important.
yorost

Postby BostonFriar11 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:45 am

It's my understanding that there will be a Grant of Rights with Fox. As such, Fox would retain legal rights to all of the schools' games even if they left the conference.
Providence 2011 - Long Live Huxley 299!
BostonFriar11

Return to Big East basketball message board