WHY NOT 12 AND GET FOX DONE NOW?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: WHY NOT 12 AND GET FOX DONE NOW?

Postby Edrick » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:30 am

The simplest explanation?

They are comfortable with the 9/10 teams and there is still disagreement on who 11 and 12 are going to be.

Everybody seems to want to think that part is determined but the actions don't suggest it.
Edrick

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby xu95 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:40 am

Edrick wrote:The simplest explanation?

They are comfortable with the 9/10 teams and there is still disagreement on who 11 and 12 are going to be.

Everybody seems to want to think that part is determined but the actions don't suggest it.

Exactly. I love all the reports that all 12 teams are picked. That is absolutely not true. If it was, all 12 teams would be joining next year. Butler and Xavier are obvious choices as far as the seven are concerned. The rest have some marks against them. It will all eventually get worked out.
xu95

Postby BillEsq » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:48 am

xu95 wrote:

Exactly. I love all the reports that all 12 teams are picked. That is absolutely not true. If it was, all 12 teams would be joining next year. Butler and Xavier are obvious choices as far as the seven are concerned. The rest have some marks against them. It will all eventually get worked out.

Just what actions suggest that there is still any disagreement? I mean you don't leave the BE and get a deal from FOX without having likely picked all your teams. Most people don't start conferences TV deal first and Teams second.

That said just what actions do suggest disagreement? I've seen nothing outside of bloggers and ESPN talking heads speculations that their are disagreements. And they do have reason to speculate.... it is their job and most bloggers and talking heads are not known for their fine use of facts.
BillEsq

Postby dmac80 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:49 am

Why would the existing members want to keep it so small? voting power? money share?> Because I think in the long run more teams (provided they're GOOD quality programs) will mean more money. More trips to the NCAA, more shares of winnings, more exposure and notoriety.
Let's Go FRIARS!
dmac80

Postby Moliva » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:51 am

This is what makes ESPN and SI Reports that schools entering in 2014/15 are already know even more confusing.
Moliva

Postby Jet915 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:02 am

Fact of the matter is that SI, ESPN and New York Post have said the same exact thing, either they are all using the same exact source or it's probably pretty accurate.
Jet915

Postby Edrick » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:10 am

Whatever combination of SLU, Richmond,and Dayton are the final two schools, it isn't going to make a material difference to Fox or by the extension the contract.

The value proposition is is the 9/10 not 11 and 12.

You should probably even be skeptical of the date. There's absolutely nothing that guarantees expansion the year after or even the year after that. Simply, the "additions" are not in the conference until they are in the conference. Whenever the move to 12 happens, who knows, maybe some other program has emerged too.
Edrick

Postby BillEsq » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:15 am

dmac80 wrote:Why would the existing members want to keep it so small? voting power? money share?> Because I think in the long run more teams (provided they're GOOD quality programs) will mean more money. More trips to the NCAA, more shares of winnings, more exposure and notoriety.

There really isn't any financial reason to go to 10 teams over 12 in fact having 12 teams makes more money than 10. (none of the 5 teams being considered for the 3 spots would hurt the league in this aspect. Voting power doesn't really mean as much as the league will be the top BBall only league in the nation and all the potential members are similar in outlook except VCU. Heck after you remove Butler and Richmond they are virtually identical so there should be no real voting concerns.

Really there are a few fans that want smaller for some odd reason and the media keeps fanning the flames to stir up interest in their sites but at this point i'd be more shocked if they went with 10 over 12. The real question is when to start the league and all things look like 2013.
BillEsq

Postby xu95 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:43 pm

BillEsq wrote:
xu95 wrote:

Just what actions suggest that there is still any disagreement? I mean you don't leave the BE and get a deal from FOX without having likely picked all your teams. Most people don't start conferences TV deal first and Teams second.

That said just what actions do suggest disagreement? I've seen nothing outside of bloggers and ESPN talking heads speculations that their are disagreements. And they do have reason to speculate.... it is their job and most bloggers and talking heads are not known for their fine use of facts.

Easy, the announcement that Xavier, Butler, and Creigton (maybe) are joining in 2013 and maybe Dayton and St. Louis in 2014. If they already had a firm decision on Dayton and St. Louis, why wouldn't they be joining in 2013 as well? The extra 1 million dollars they would have to pay the A-10 would definitely not hold them up.
xu95

Postby xu95 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:44 pm

Jet915 wrote:Fact of the matter is that SI, ESPN and New York Post have said the same exact thing, either they are all using the same exact source or it's probably pretty accurate.

I haven't read every single news article out there on this, but most of them say "According to ESPN". Meaning ESPN made the announcement and everyone else if piggybacking off of them.
xu95

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board