Academics

The home for Big East hoops

Academics

Postby whiteandblue77 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:59 pm

I know it's not about basketball, but I also found it interesting to look academics.

Here are the rankings of the three new additions (if the rumors are correct) for Midwest Regional Institutions:

1. Creighton
2. Buler
4. Xavier
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandrevie ... es-midwest
The Big East is Dead! Long Live the Big East!
whiteandblue77

Academics

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Academics

Postby classof29 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:34 pm

I am pretty sure that academics is important to the current Big East 7 and they wanted to maintain that tradition when adding schools along with small and urban with basketball tradition.

The BE7 all have fine academic reputations, I know in the northeast Nova generally ranks #1 in their category and Providence was generally #2 (although they dropped to 4 on the list you posted).
Providence College
classof29

Postby The Partisan » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:46 pm

One of the reasons Richmond has traction
The Partisan - Villanova '89 - Go Cats!
The Partisan

Postby whiteandblue77 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:03 pm

The Partisan wrote:One of the reasons Richmond has traction

Yeah, richmond is top 20 national liberal arts, most others are top 120 national universities (Georgetown is tops, no surprise) or top 5 regionally. It's no surprise all are stellar academic institutions.

I guess I'm interested in how this conference might change the schools academically.... the Big 10 has turned their focus on national research dollars and is going to cash in.
The Big East is Dead! Long Live the Big East!
whiteandblue77

Postby rip833 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:07 pm

I love how people like to push their alma mater acadecimically.

Unfortunatey, you cannot compare regional universities to national universities. It's like apples and oranges. The players who are nationally are ND, Marquette. STL, Dayton, and GT.

The national schools are great hoops schools and now one challenges that. The rest are national universities. Who knows how they all would really rank but you are comparing U's offering PhD.s to many of those w/o a Masters program. Let's just be honest in our posts.
rip833

Postby podcast411 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:13 pm

Of course you will not find most C7 schools on that list - you need to look at the national list.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandrevie ... B50/page+3

Stl, lou (92), Dayton (#115) both are on there ahead of Seton Hall (#131), DePaul (134), St, Johns (147),

Others

GU (21)
Marq. (83)
VCU (170)
podcast411

Postby Bostonspider » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:17 pm

One thing I imagine it might do is increase the number of applications the schools get. I was a little surprised that those three Midwestern schools had relatively high admissions rates, at least compared to some of the eastern schools. I am guessing that Richmond, Nova and Georgetown just get much larger numbers of applicants. I know UR has over 10,000 applicants for 700 spots.
Richmond '99
Bostonspider

Postby ATLJay » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:14 am

That athlete admissions account for approximately 13% of Richmonds 700 incoming admissions is significant, and its a serious consideration when it come to the schools ability to support its athletic program. Every scholarship athlete has a noticeable impact on tuition revenue. This was pointed out as a factor when Richmond decided to discard mens track and soccer (for lacrosse)..
ATLJay

Postby classof29 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:36 am

rip833 wrote:I love how people like to push their alma mater acadecimically.

Unfortunatey, you cannot compare regional universities to national universities. It's like apples and oranges. The players who are nationally are ND, Marquette. STL, Dayton, and GT.

The national schools are great hoops schools and now one challenges that. The rest are national universities. Who knows how they all would really rank but you are comparing U's offering PhD.s to many of those w/o a Masters program. Let's just be honest in our posts.

I am not sure where you are coming from. Everyone above you discussed both national and regional rankings. We understand there is a difference between Liberal Arts, Masters, and Doctoral programs. It is no big deal, and all we are stating is that there is an academic element to the league, it is part of bringing in similar schools with similar interests (although the other factors are clearly more important).
Providence College
classof29

Postby Bluejay » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:08 am

Bostonspider wrote:I was a little surprised that those three Midwestern schools had relatively high admissions rates, at least compared to some of the eastern schools.

I believe that is called "east coast bias".

I'll share some other details with ya - we aren't all farmers; we don't all own tractors and cowboy hats; and the closest I've ever been to a cow is when I had a burger for lunch yesterday. Now, one thing that is true is that if you travel to Omaha for a game, you should hit a local steak house before or after as it is the best steak you may ever eat.
Bluejay

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board