Academics

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Academics

Postby Jet915 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:23 am

Bluejay wrote:
Bostonspider wrote:I was a little surprised that those three Midwestern schools had relatively high admissions rates, at least compared to some of the eastern schools.

I believe that is called "east coast bias".

I'll share some other details with ya - we aren't all farmers; we don't all own tractors and cowboy hats; and the closest I've ever been to a cow is when I had a burger for lunch yesterday. Now, one thing that is true is that if you travel to Omaha for a game, you should hit a local steak house before or after as it is the best steak you may ever eat.

I think people would be surprised about Creighton academically. We are ranked in the "masters" program because of our small undergraduate enrollment which I would bet goes up after joining the Big East. What some might not know is that Creighton almost has as many graduate students as undergraduate and boasts doctoral programs in medicine, dentistry, law, pharmacy, PT/OT along with Ph.D and MBA program. This is probably only second to Georgetown when it comes to the amount of different specialty doctoral programs offered by any of the BE7 (although I haven't actually looked).
Jet915

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby yorost » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:15 am

Bluejay wrote:I'll share some other details with ya - we aren't all farmers; we don't all own tractors and cowboy hats; and the closest I've ever been to a cow is when I had a burger for lunch yesterday. Now, one thing that is true is that if you travel to Omaha for a game, you should hit a local steak house before or after as it is the best steak you may ever eat.

Hey, we love cows in Wisconsin, always feels like home when I see them. Even bought my baby girl cow socks. :D
yorost

Postby Bostonspider » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:46 am

Bluejay wrote:
Bostonspider wrote:I was a little surprised that those three Midwestern schools had relatively high admissions rates, at least compared to some of the eastern schools.

I'll share some other details with ya - we aren't all farmers; we don't all own tractors and cowboy hats; and the closest I've ever been to a cow is when I had a burger for lunch yesterday. Now, one thing that is true is that if you travel to Omaha for a game, you should hit a local steak house before or after as it is the best steak you may ever eat.

Bias?? Numbers are numbers. When RIchmond only accepts 32% of applicants and Creighton accepts 78% there is a difference there.. Butler is 61% and Xavier 70%. I think it is obvious that Richmond has a lot more people applying.
Richmond '99
Bostonspider

Postby Moliva » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:49 am

Bostonspider wrote:
Bluejay wrote:

Bias?? Numbers are numbers. When RIchmond only accepts 32% of applicants and Creighton accepts 78% there is a difference there.. Butler is 61% and Xavier 70%. I think it is obvious that Richmond has a lot more people applying.

Sadly, I think "Bluejay" didn't even understand the implication of a high admission rate, perhaps further proving the statistic. :?
Moliva

Postby mel ott » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:59 am

Moliva wrote:
Bostonspider wrote:

It makes sense that a school in a more populated area would have more applications. The key is in the quality of the student. I think most of the Catholic 7 league will have similiar type of students. I've had kids graduate from CU and St Louis and have looked at De Paul, Marquette, Loyolas, TCU ( any yes, I realize the final two are not in the league). the quality of the student population based on ACT scores, percentage of students in the top 10% of the class,etc. are pretty close. I know Creighton's ave student ACT was over 26 two years ago. The point is that is one key reason why these schools want to band together- same philosophy and mission. Really, your point is probably correct of the number of admissions- but really so what? Back to basketball.
mel ott

Postby Bluejay » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:34 am

Moliva wrote:Sadly, I think "Bluejay" didn't even understand the implication of a high admission rate, perhaps further proving the statistic. :?

I was just joking around a bit.

I'm certain that the reason is a combination of two things: (1) Richmond, being in a significantly more populous area probably generates a great deal more applications; and (2) Creighton's academic reputation in this area is very strong, so I suspect many borderline admits refrain from applying at all.
Bluejay

Postby butlerguy03 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:43 pm

Just because more people apply to your school doesn't mean the academics are better, I guess. Every school has it's programs that the others will envy. Butler's is probably the Fine Arts (Dance, etc.) and Pharmacy (Eli Lilly money).

I don't know this as a fact, but I've always heard rumors that Indiana University blocked Butler's attempt at a school of medicine back when. Not surprisingly, IU now has it's school of medicine in Indy, not Bloomington.
Butler University '03
butlerguy03

Postby NyNjspider » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:04 pm

These debates are really useless. Ultimately someone brings up their nationally renowned basket weaving program, or how their cutting edge online doctoral degree in ice cream making is the best in the world. Ok, Whatever.

Is Richmond more difficult to get into (as an undergraduate)than the other schools considered? - YES. Does that matter -NO. If academics really mattered St John's would ask themselves to leave. ( I have a St. John's degree if that matters)
NyNjspider

Postby Bostonspider » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:27 pm

I do nto think people are quite getting what I meant. With these strong midwestern schools joining a conference that gets a lot more medio exposure, especially on the east coast, I think the number of people applying to them with grow quickly. Richmond has parlayed the exposure they have gotten over the last 30 years from basketball's sweet sixteens, hosting the presidential debate and other things to triple the number of applications the school receives. I think Creighton, SLU and Xavier will become even better known in the East from this new conference.
Richmond '99
Bostonspider

Postby nathanhm » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:03 pm

Honestly I was just shocked when you guys started posting on the forum, didn't realize they had internet in the midwest. Only kidding of course. Before I moved to the East Coast, I spent a few years in Arkansas and I'm still surprised at just how ignorant people can be about life in the US that doesn't involve the coasts.
nathanhm

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board