Gavitt Tipoff Games

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Gavitt Tipoff Games

Postby anXUfan » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:54 am

I don't think preseason tournaments will completely dictate. These days most good teams play in one. It would be very strange if the Gavitt Games schedulers couldn't figure out a way around that obstacle.
anXUfan

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:03 pm

anXUfan wrote:I don't think preseason tournaments will completely dictate. These days most good teams play in one. It would be very strange if the Gavitt Games schedulers couldn't figure out a way around that obstacle.

If you play in Puerto Rico on Thursday- it's almost impossible to play.
stever20

Postby stever20 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:13 pm

Jet915 wrote:Love this series but I hope the matchups are better next year. FS1 got alot of stinkers.

a big part of that is that Big Ten gets to sit out 6 teams each year.

the 6 that sat out this year
Mich St(would have to be late in the week due to Champions classic)
Minnesota
Northwestern
Ohio St
Purdue
Wisconsin

You would think those 6 would be in next year.
stever20

Postby xavier1994 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:19 pm

Our AD actually has stated that we have a home game next year in the Gavitt Games.
xavier1994

Postby stever20 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:27 pm

xavier1994 wrote:Our AD actually has stated that we have a home game next year in the Gavitt Games.

Wow. You would think that would be a mistake. Going from Xavier on Wednesday and then having to play on Thursday- pretty tough.

Of course, you remember what Creighton said that they weren't going to play in the Gavitt games this year before, and then they did. The logistics of it seems pretty hard.
stever20

Postby anXUfan » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:50 pm

This coming week X has a home game Monday before heading down to Orlando for a tournament. If they could do the Gavitt home game next year on Monday then I don't see the big difference.
anXUfan

Postby stever20 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:58 pm

anXUfan wrote:This coming week X has a home game Monday before heading down to Orlando for a tournament. If they could do the Gavitt home game next year on Monday then I don't see the big difference.

Contractually the games are Tuesday-Friday. Not on Monday due to Monday Night Football.
stever20

Postby XUFan09 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:59 pm

stever20 wrote:
anXUfan wrote:This coming week X has a home game Monday before heading down to Orlando for a tournament. If they could do the Gavitt home game next year on Monday then I don't see the big difference.

Contractually the games are Tuesday-Friday. Not on Monday due to Monday Night Football.

Two years ago they played Abilene-Christian on a Tuesday before heading out to an exempt tournament that started on Thursday. Definitely possible, "just" a six-hour flight.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Postby stever20 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:44 am

XUFan09 wrote:
stever20 wrote:

Two years ago they played Abilene-Christian on a Tuesday before heading out to an exempt tournament that started on Thursday. No, they did not actually schedule A-C...the brilliant people in charge of the exempt tournament set that one up as the fourth exempt game.

Actually, that was a Monday/Thursday thing. Played AC on Monday and then Iowa on Thursday.
stever20

Postby anXUfan » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:49 am

stever20 wrote:

I am unconvinced that Monday would be off limits due to a conflicting late evening event carried on neither Fox nor the Big 10 Network. If they wanted to fit a game in and were scared silly of competing with MNF (seems strange) they could just start at 6:00 or something. If both parties wanted it the contract would be no obstacle.
anXUfan

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board