Postby NovaBall » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:34 pm

No clue what to expect
NovaBall

Can someone breakdown Creighton for me

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Can someone breakdown Creighton for me

Postby FormulaX » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:03 pm

+1 I have them as my surprise team this year and I'd like to know why!!
FormulaX

Postby bluejaygrandpa » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:15 pm

We realistically expect some improvement from last year. Two of the better transfers from the 2014 class are now eligible to play (Maurice (Mo) Watson and Cole Huff), though we also lost a few starters. Mo should provide a spark and great leadership to our team from the point. Cole Huff should provide a solid scoring player as a stretch 4. We have a solid (if not flashy) post player in senior Greg Groselle. We have a solid backup at center named Zach Hanson. Toby Hegner is a good role player as a taller shooter at the stretch 4/5 position. Isaiah Zierden also is a very good shooter as a 2 and he will split time at the 2/3 with James Milliken also a good shooter/slasher. We also have freshman guard Khyri Thomas who seems to be a good lock down defender with a lot of heart and athleticism. Other interesting players to complement the team this year are an athletic JUCO as backup point named Malik Albert, a promising 6'9" Euro player with decent athleticism, size and range to play 3/4 named Martin Krampelj, and a 6'7" redshirt freshman guard with good handle and shot named Ronnie Harrell.

My expectation is we move up a couple spots this year from a difficult finish at the bottom last year. We may be a year away from being a solid contender. Next year we will add a top transfer (an excellent scorer) from Kansas State named Marcus Foster and a high potential 6'11' center named Justin Patton, who may redshirt this year. This year we may go as far as the two transfers take us. If they step up to the higher level of competition we could end up in the middle of the pack. I saw our exhibition game and it seemed apparent they still need to have some time playing together. If you want to take notice of one player this year, keep your eye on Mo Watson. Coach McDermott will need to get improved defense from this team while keeping some good ball movement and shooting on offense. The team also needs to develop more toughness. The trend is up.
bluejaygrandpa

Postby R Jay » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:29 pm

Welcome to the club. JK.

On offense, the team is going to revolve around point guard Mo Watson Jr. He can do so much. He's brilliant floor general with a sweet passing touch, is very quick to the basket, and has a smooth mid-range game. The only areas he's not superior to Austin Chatman at is 3 point shooting and he's not as strong as Austin. One area in particular that he is far better than Austin is getting through the lane and finishing against longer defenders. If teams focus on our shooters, Watson is going to have a lot of room to work inside the arc. Despite his willingness to share the ball, Watson will get his own shot and will probably be a top 3 scorer on the team.
At the wing spots, Isaiah Zierden is shooting as good as he has in the past. Like consistently make 40+ (even 50+) percent of 3 pointers in practice good. There is certainly a fear that he might re-injure his knee and that will certainly limit his time.
James Milliken hasn't been consistent in practice, but he is still a really good shooter all over the floor and provides a slashing/driving attack that Zierden can't provide. Expect him to start at the 2 spot.
Malik Albert is a crafty slasher type and a good 3 point shooter. He also can create his own shot. He'll likely backup Watson Jr. at the point and get some time at the 2 spot.
Then there's freshman Khyri Thomas. There was quite a bit of uncertainty of how his offensive game would be coming into the summer (he's a better defender with his long wingspan), but he's a better jump shooter than expected and gets to the basket well. He's the likely starter at the 3.
Ronnie Harrell has a broken bone in his foot which will keep him out for three weeks, but when he gets back he will bring great ball-handling, passing, and 3 point shooting for 6'7 wing. There is still quite a bit expected from him in terms of motor and consistent effort, but his length and athleticism coupled with his offensive game will make it hard to keep him off the floor when he gets healthy.
Cole Huff is a tweener post/wing who will likely start at the 4 spot. He is another lights out shooter and has Big East athleticism. Expect him to be a top 3 scorer on the team.
Toby Hegner isn't flashy, but is shooting the ball more consistently from the arc, which will guarantee he's on the floor. Obviously being a 6'10 shooter makes him a matchup nightmare. Expect him to play both the 4 and the 5 in an "Ethan Wragge" type role.
Martin Krampelj is a 6'9-10 freshmen from Slovenia who is very athletic and stronger than he looks on first glance. He's more of a streaky shooter, but can certainly make shots from behind the arc. I suspect he will be a good pick-and-pop guy and a perfect stretch 4. He can make defenders pay from behind the arc if they don't close out and drive to the paint if they do charge to prevent the 3. He might see some time at the 5 as well.
Geoff Groselle looks as healthy and mobile as ever. He is a traditional power post who will certainly be our starting 5. He has quite a few post moves at his disposal. Expect him to be a top 3 scorer on the team. Even though Geoff is as healthy as ever, don't expect more than 20 minutes from him per game.
Zach Hanson looks more confident and is shooting the ball well from the mid-range. He is also a traditional power post and is more mobile and a bit more physicall than Geoff, but isn't nearly as well polished. Playing small this year at the 5 with Hegner and Krampelj will cut away from his minutes.
Justin Patton is the most athletic and the best shot blocker of the posts, but doesn't have the strength to compete with Big East center's yet and isn't nearly as polished as either Geoff or Zach. Expect him to redshirt along with point guard Marlon Stewart.

Basically, the team is going to have Watson attacking the basket and distributing to Geoff in the middle or the wings on the perimeter who will either shot the 3 if the shot is good or drive to the basket or keep the ball moving looking for an even better shot. Scoring should be balanced with likely 3-5 per game in the teens.
Last edited by R Jay on Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby NovaBall » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:29 pm

I have zach Hanson on my fantasy team. Wondering if I should,play him or mikal bridges in my final forward spot. Is Hanson going to see much floor time?
NovaBall

Postby handdownmandown » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:32 pm

Methinks we will be a reasonable facsimile of our 13-14 team stylistically, with a much better point guard and athleticism, but no Doug. Probably half the time we will have a traditional C and half the time we will be Wragge-ing it at the five.

Seems far more likely than not that Patton redshirts but we will see.
handdownmandown

Postby handdownmandown » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:34 pm

Hanson won't play enough to be useful.
handdownmandown

Postby Jet915 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:40 pm

Unless Groselle is hurt, Hanson will probably only play 10-15 min until he can prove he can contribute.
Jet915

Postby NovaBall » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:48 pm

Mikado bridges it is...

Thanks guys.
NovaBall

Postby Doge McDermott » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:56 pm

Here's a good video breakdown. Sorry, I don't know how to embed youtube directly.

Doge McDermott

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board