Can someone breakdown Creighton for me

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Can someone breakdown Creighton for me

Postby jaybydna » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:40 pm

We have a LOT more talent and athleticism that we ever had before. We will be adding slashers, a full and half court press, and long arms (Defense) to our traditional ShooterU persona. Will it all click this year? Doubtful. We have 10 guys who have never worn the jersey or played together before, but the pieces are there.

Watson, Patton, Huff, and Harrell were all top 100 guys who did not play last year. Kramelj has NBA potential (per insiders), but not much scouting due to coming from Slovenia. Groselle and Milikan both finished strong last year. Zierdan has been the consensus best shooter on the team (even when we had McD and Wragge), and Thomas gives us a defense-minded wing with long arms. Albert and Hanson will log some good backup minutes.

Next year we get Marcus Fsoter eligible, and bring in Mintz, followed by a top-50 Alexander in 2017 (plus 4 more).

What to expect from the Jays this year? Your guess is as good as ours. If the team gels and builds confidence it could be anyone's ballgame. I like the direction though.
jaybydna

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Westbrook#36 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:09 pm

Doge McDermott wrote:Here's a good video breakdown. Sorry, I don't know how to embed youtube directly.

I gotta believe Blue Jay fans will breaking that video til god knows when, unfortunately Ethan Wragge isn't walking through that door, either is Douggy McBuckets. Well at least you guys will always have fond memories of that year's regular season BE title, oh wait a second. Make that, that year's BE tourney title, oops did I do that again?, sorry my bad.

Relax, just j/k, well at least in the same vein as posting that video at least. I think Creighton can fly under the radar and surprise a lot of people this year.
Westbrook#36

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:17 pm

As evidenced by the several Bluejay fan posts above, most expect a return to the "let it fly" style of DMD/Wragge/Manigat.
I expect not only more of a balanced scoring output by several members of the squad, but less reliance on the 3 pter's. But, there are a couple of new shooters for Westbrook and 'Nova fans to keep an eye on...gonna be fun on 02 January 16 - in Omaha.

Longball is a thing of beauty when it's on, but as we noted last season - it is painful to watch when it's off. Creighton's 2015-16 crew is more athletic and should have more of an inside and midrange attack to counter an, as of yet, unproven "wragge-style air game". Should be a great 2015-16 hoops season for the Jays, a top 5 finish in the Big East...and back to the NCAA Tourney.

Here's to a great Big East season for all, especially in the non-conference... Go Big East!
;)
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby sarp » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:06 am

I believe you will have a pretty idea about Creighton next Thursday when they play Indiana.
Creighton Fan since the 1980's
sarp

Postby milksteak » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:47 am

sarp wrote:I believe you will have a pretty idea about Creighton next Thursday when they play Indiana.

That should be a pretty entertaining game. Expect a lot of points.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby Doge McDermott » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:51 am

Westbrook#36 wrote:I gotta believe Blue Jay fans will breaking that video til god knows when, unfortunately Ethan Wragge isn't walking through that door, either is Douggy McBuckets. Well at least you guys will always have fond memories of that year's regular season BE title, oh wait a second. Make that, that year's BE tourney title, oops did I do that again?, sorry my bad.

Relax, just j/k, well at least in the same vein as posting that video at least. I think Creighton can fly under the radar and surprise a lot of people this year.

It's all good. I think admin may have edited my post by adding the embed. I was going for the Creighton version of a Rick Roll.

And yes, we'll replay that video until kingdom come. As long as you aren't from Nova, it's a thing of beauty.

As far as flying under the radar, I'm cool with that too. We're finally getting Big East recruiting classes, and will be more balanced in the future. On paper, it looks like we lost a ton, but the guys we have this year are head and shoulders above what we lost.
Doge McDermott

Postby DudeAnon » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:23 am

Xavier will break them down alright
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby handdownmandown » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:04 pm

That didn't end so well for Drago.
handdownmandown

Postby Bluejay » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:09 pm

R Jay wrote:On offense, the team is going to revolve around point guard Mo Watson Jr. He can do so much. He's brilliant floor general with a sweet passing touch, is very quick to the basket, and has a smooth mid-range game. The only areas he's not superior to Austin Chatman at is 3 point shooting and he's not as strong as Austin.

Wait, what? If you are talking pure strength, I would be surprised if Watson isn't physically stronger than Chatman. He's certainly a much wider body. Either way, he is a much, much better finisher at the rim than Chatman ever was.

There are so many new pieces on the Jays this year, anybody who claims to know how they will finish is only guessing. If everything comes together quickly they could finish as high as 4th, but if they can't all get on the same page they could end up 9th (I do not see anyone unseating St John's for 10th).

On the fantasy question about Hanson, I wouldn't start him.
Bluejay

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board