ACC Blurbs...

The home for Big East hoops

ACC Blurbs...

Postby billyjack » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:04 pm

Some choice quotes from inside the ACC...

They admit to not being truly elite until they can get half the league making the NCAA's.
They mention how the 16-team Big East looked at every little detail in running the conference.
They mention how the ACC braintrust hasn't yet discovered how to strategize on the little things to become truly elite.

I've often suspected the ACC of having phallus envy toward the Big East... from their logo font copying ours, to their ridiculous talk about getting MSG... from having no school within a 4-hour drive from NY City yet thinking they own the northeast... to making a deal with the A-10 to occupy Barclays, and claiming that Brooklyn equals midtown Manhattan... to grand claims like putting the Carrier Dome court at the 50-yard line for the Duke game to draw 45,000 fans and then not following through nor even addressing the situation with a follow up... to putting another ACC Tourney in Washington, another city with no hometown ACC team.

We're looking at an ACC conference that doesn't act with any foresight and doesn't move as one unit.

And our current Big East... as we continue moving forward, our decision makers seem 10 steps ahead of the action, and we have our 10 brains working as one. The same Big East spirit, intelligence and common sense continues to run our conference. I've often thought the ACC acted with a dinosaur brain, and was mostly bluster and bullying without brains, and this article says nothing that would make me change my opinion. I mean, I'm optimistic about the Big East, and this article gives me even more confidence.

Anyway, here is the article:
https://trove.com/a/Post-expansion-ACC- ... &nocrawl=1

Mike Brey:
"There's no question you can't really call yourself the best league until you're getting half your league in (the NCAAs) regularly," Brey said Wednesday during the ACC's media day."

Article:
The ACC hasn't produced the highest total of bids of any league since tying for the most in 2009. And that's led league officials to talk more about how to boost the league and duplicate some of the success of the former Big East.

Coach K:
"Their [the 16-team Big East] attention to detail about everything — scheduling, times of games, you name it — you look at the littlest points, I think the Big East studied all those things, I don't think we have over the years, basically because it's been easier. But now that we have all those teams and how they did it, the things they looked at, those are the things we should be studying."I don't know if it is (a 10-bid league) or not. I'm just saying you don't become really good at anything until you do little things. I don't know what all those little things are. I think we're still saying 'we should get' instead of figuring out 'how we should get.'"

20-Game ACC Schedule?
"A frequent option mentioned during Wednesday's interviews was to tweak the scheduling format and possibly expand beyond the 18-game league schedule. ACC Commissioner John Swofford floated the idea of playing more league games during his annual forum, with several coaches talking specifically of eventually moving to 20 league regular-season games as a way to potentially boost RPIs ahead of Selection Sunday as an example." [not sure how adding 2 more games vs BC or Virginia Tech will actually improve RPI].
Last edited by billyjack on Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Providence
billyjack

ACC Blurbs...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: ACC Blurbs...

Postby Hoopfan » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:11 pm

Not to rain on your parade or dismiss these thoughts but I read it as they are talking about the old BE. At least Coach Ks comments that you pointed out. He talks about how the BE did it and now that we have those teams we can see what they were doing.

I guess I could have read the entire article and not your brief overview thoguh. Maybe I'm reading to much into the one quote.
Hoopfan

Postby billyjack » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:26 pm

Hoopfan wrote:Not to rain on your parade or dismiss these thoughts but I read it as they are talking about the old BE. At least Coach Ks comments that you pointed out. He talks about how the BE did it and now that we have those teams we can see what they were doing.

I guess I could have read the entire article and not your brief overview thoguh. Maybe I'm reading to much into the one quote.

Right, Coach K was referring specifically to the 16-team Big East format.

I'm jumping a little beyond that, thinking that the strategists in the pre-2014 Big East were the hoops schools, and those strategists remain within the current Big East hierarchy. For example, Mike Tranghese just rejoined the Providence athletic department. Tranghese will definitely provide advice to the Big East HQ... plus Stu Jackson has great experience... John Paquette was a force behind the scenes for years, and he's been retained. These are the people that ran the show for years. Plus, Val Ackerman has been great.

On the other hand, I don't remember any positive decision of any consequence, or at all, coming out of Pitt or Morgantown.

The key quote I think is:
"I think we're still saying 'we should get' instead of figuring out 'how we should get.'"

So not only have they not started to move as one unit to improve their conference... they haven't even begun to figure out what questions they need to ask themselves to move forward. And they're such a odd group of schools trying to fit together, its going to be really tough to get them on the same page.
Providence
billyjack

Postby Hoya Hoya Hoya » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:42 am

The old Big East was the best basketball conference in history. Nobody will ever match it.
@BasketballOP
Hoya Hoya Hoya

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:57 am

Other ACC tidbits from Wolken:

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken 11h11 hours ago
This is interesting. Georgia Tech’s president spilling the beans that ESPN wants to delay ACC network http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/college...m-referral

I’ll say this. Several admins at ACC schools are worried that the Power 5 is really a Power 4 and they’re on the outside. This is a big deal

And that is not me interpreting. The term “Power 4” has been uttered to me by high ranking officials at multiple ACC schools.

The ACC will never be the Old Big East. For starter's it's a different brand of basketball. The OBE was tough, physical and let the kids play. ACC basketball, thanks to the Tobacco Road schools, call a lot more fouls and make it harder to "out-tough" your opponent. The ACC is also Southeastern-focused school, which is why the ACC will never truly "own" the Northeast. The heart of the league is in North Carolina, and they will never shift it anywhere else. The league also never played its tournaments under the grand lights of MSG or in a big city like NYC. All of the tournaments were always in, you guessed it, North Carolina - just 11 times since 1954 has it been outside of NC. It has also been held in the Greensboro Colliseum eight times since 2000.

Despite trying to be a newer, better, Big East with the likes of Syracuse, Miami, Virginia Tech, Pittsburgh, Boston College, Louisville and Notre Dame - it will never replicate the success of the old Big East. Maryland, one of the cornerstones of the ACC, has already shown that the league is not impervious to realignment - and I expect them not to be the last school to leave either.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby stever20 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:37 am

Well I think you are going to see the OBE style going by the wayside really soon- the games are going to be called much closer than ever. I think we're going to find much more of a single national standard. you might not like it, but that's how its heading....

I think the thing that is big time different between Big East and ACC- in the ACC- a lot of the schools play pretty much the same way. Meanwhile in the OBE- you had a LOT more styles.
stever20

Return to Big East basketball message board