CBS Sports a fan of the BE

The home for Big East hoops

Re: CBS Sports a fan of the BE

Postby milksteak » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:57 am

Nova is clearly the best team in the league, but I think any of the top four teams can win it this year. Jury is still out on Marquette, but their front court will be soooo good. 1st and 2nd won't be nearly as separated as they were last year.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Chalmers0 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:19 am

Edrick wrote:I wasn't arguing either way. I was just saying that it doesn't make sense, if you are going by these things. They have the best 1-2-3 in the conference and when you add things like this with Chrabascz rated second and having one of the better 6th men in the league in Kelan Martin --- it just kind of starts adding up. Not to mention a guy like Jordan Gathers who'll be their 7th or 8th guy averaged over 8 at St Bonny.

Again, I personally am picking Nova first. I just doubt there is much difference between the two, if there is one.

I like Kelan Martin and think he does take a step forward this year, however calling him one of the better 6th men in the League I think is a little too far. Also Butler will have basically an entirely unproven starter at the 5 in Wideman with minimal to zero depth behind him. Outside of Martin and Gathers, who was a decent A10 player, I just think the complete misses in recruiting will catch up to Butler this year when it comes to depth.

Butler's core is obviously up there with anyone and I definitely think they are easily in the top 4 but I don't see any way I could pick them over Nova or Gtown and personally X (but will admit my bias there)
Chalmers0

Postby milksteak » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:51 am

Chalmers0 wrote:
Edrick wrote:I wasn't arguing either way. I was just saying that it doesn't make sense, if you are going by these things. They have the best 1-2-3 in the conference and when you add things like this with Chrabascz rated second and having one of the better 6th men in the league in Kelan Martin --- it just kind of starts adding up. Not to mention a guy like Jordan Gathers who'll be their 7th or 8th guy averaged over 8 at St Bonny.

Again, I personally am picking Nova first. I just doubt there is much difference between the two, if there is one.

I like Kelan Martin and think he does take a step forward this year, however calling him one of the better 6th men in the League I think is a little too far. Also Butler will have basically an entirely unproven starter at the 5 in Wideman with minimal to zero depth behind him. Outside of Martin and Gathers, who was a decent A10 player, I just think the complete misses in recruiting will catch up to Butler this year when it comes to depth.

Butler's core is obviously up there with anyone and I definitely think they are easily in the top 4 but I don't see any way I could pick them over Nova or Gtown and personally X (but will admit my bias there)

FWIW, Butler will be deeper this year than they were last year. That said, depth will still be one of their biggest weaknesses this season.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby hortle » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:52 am

The same handful of players that CU expects rotation minutes out of this year (khyri thomas, martin krampelj, ronnie harrell, even mo watson) continue to be left out of these previews. Everyone is fixated on our only addition being Cole Huff
hortle

Postby Irishdawg » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:05 pm

I have no problem where they have Butler rated, and that's right about where I expect Butler to finish up in the league as well. Their biggest issues are depth and not having top of the line talent. They have good players, but no one that absolutely can't be guarded, and all of their players have some holes in their game, some of them fairly significant.
Irishdawg

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board