Kudos to the Big East

The home for Big East hoops

Kudos to the Big East

Postby stever20 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:41 pm

Said it in another thread- but I think the Big East conference office has done a GREAT job this off season

- move the marathon away from the CFP to 1/2.
- get more games on Big Fox this year than before.
- move the conference title game to Big Fox, and just as importantly away from the ACC final.

Some folks might not agree with these moves- especially the marathon and the time change for the final- but I think these were moves that pretty much had to get done. Just an outstanding off season IMO. Have to give credit where credit is due.
stever20

Kudos to the Big East

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Kudos to the Big East

Postby Jet915 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:49 am

I agree with these moves as well. Now if they can improve their promotional videos, those "big east way" commercials dont really cut it imo....
Jet915

Postby ChelseaFriar » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:06 am

stever20 wrote:Said it in another thread- but I think the Big East conference office has done a GREAT job this off season

- move the marathon away from the CFP to 1/2.
- get more games on Big Fox this year than before.
- move the conference title game to Big Fox, and just as importantly away from the ACC final.

Some folks might not agree with these moves- especially the marathon and the time change for the final- but I think these were moves that pretty much had to get done. Just an outstanding off season IMO. Have to give credit where credit is due.

Living in NYC, I always loved the night game final for the BET. Just a great atmosphere and night out.

However, I agree with the move for TV ratings and national TV exposure for the conference. It will never compete with an ACC final consisting of teams such as Duke, UNC, L'Ville, Syracuse, ND etc. A Saturday early evening game on FOX will hopefully catch a lot of eyeballs that are in the college basketball mood.
ChelseaFriar

Postby NovaBall » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:19 am

Moving the time of the big east championship is a bad idea.

You don't tear down your house because your neighbor is putting in a nicer two car garage. You go about your business and make your own house as comfortable as possible. For people in NYC, the big east championship is what matters. Sure the ACC will draw better TV ratings, but you still run the big east championship in a manner that makes it as best an event as possible.

Stever is always posting about how the big east has to be reaction all and has to make all of its decisions under the assumption that our product sucks so we have to take a back seat to something else.

As far as the nye marathon moving to the 2nd, I like it only because of the weekend aspect. Otherwise put it back on nye.
NovaBall

Postby stever20 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:27 am

NovaBall wrote:Moving the time of the big east championship is a bad idea.

You don't tear down your house because your neighbor is putting in a nicer two car garage. You go about your business and make your own house as comfortable as possible. For people in NYC, the big east championship is what matters. Sure the ACC will draw better TV ratings, but you still run the big east championship in a manner that makes it as best an event as possible.

Stever is always posting about how the big east has to be reaction all and has to make all of its decisions under the assumption that our product sucks so we have to take a back seat to something else.

As far as the nye marathon moving to the 2nd, I like it only because of the weekend aspect. Otherwise put it back on nye.

I'm thinking Fox told the Big East that if they wanted on Big Fox they had to do it at 5:30- so to not impact prime time that night. It getting on Big Fox is huge....

The marathon- sorry but it's absolutely moronic to try to compete with the CFP. Tone deaf. You have to know where to pick your battles- and going up against the CFP isn't one of them.
stever20

Postby coreynj2461 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:40 pm

What time are they moving the championship game to??
coreynj2461

Postby stever20 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:25 pm

coreynj2461 wrote:What time are they moving the championship game to??

5:30pm
stever20

Postby ChelseaFriar » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:49 pm

coreynj2461 wrote:What time are they moving the championship game to??

5:30 PM, which isn't terrible.

Agree that FOX probably let the BE know that they would move it from FS1 to FOX, but not if they are competing with Duke for ratings and not in place with whatever primetime TV they have that night.
ChelseaFriar

Postby NJRedman » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:14 pm

stever20 wrote:
NovaBall wrote:Moving the time of the big east championship is a bad idea.

I'm thinking Fox told the Big East that if they wanted on Big Fox they had to do it at 5:30- so to not impact prime time that night. It getting on Big Fox is huge....

The marathon- sorry but it's absolutely moronic to try to compete with the CFP. Tone deaf. You have to know where to pick your battles- and going up against the CFP isn't one of them.

Not impact prime time? It's a Saturday night, Fox doesn't do anything for prime time.
NJRedman

Postby gosports1 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:00 pm

one could argue 530 is much better time than 8 or 9. Gives people option to "go out" early (or stay later for those that like to hit the bars at noon) for dinner and a game and still be home early enough. good for people with kids and also can get more of a BB crowd rather than a mixed crowd.
we will see how it works out
gosports1

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board