Big East Media Day....

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Big East Media Day....

Postby stever20 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:39 pm

MUBoxer wrote:Couple things, one how can ellenson be voted 2nd team (highest of the rookies) but not rookie of the year?

Second do any of you understand the point system and want to explain it? Are just the head coaches voting or assistants to?

I figured it out. The graphic on the Big East twitter thing was sort of off.. There were only 10 votes....

coaches can't vote for their team. So they vote for the other 9 teams 1-9..... 1st place 9 points, 2nd 8, so on. So Villanova getting 81 votes- was unanimous.

Georgetown got the other 1st place vote(From Nova by process of elimination).

So with St John's getting 13 points for instance- That means they got like 5 last place votes(5 points) and 4 next to last votes(8 points).
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:36 pm

MUBoxer wrote:Couple things, one how can ellenson be voted 2nd team (highest of the rookies) but not rookie of the year?

Second do any of you understand the point system and want to explain it? Are just the head coaches voting or assistants to?

Actually it is pretty easy to explain...

1). Brunson over Ellenson - Since Nova is perceived as the team with more top players there is a good chance that coaches split their vote between guys like Arch, Ochefu, Hart and Brunson. If every coach picked a combination of 3 of those 4 for their All-BE teams it's easy to see how Brunson may have finished below Ellenson. When looking at Marq. the perception might have been that there are only two guys to consider: Ellenson and Fisher. Ellenson gets the Marq vote in the All-BE team poll. When faced with looking at just Brunson or Ellenson there is no chance that a vote gets split. It's just A or B. More coaches felt A would make a bigger impact. Probably splitting hairs either way--they both seem to be fantastic players. I would imagine that it was extremely close and would think that those two got all the first and 2nd place votes.

2). Pt system... Each coach votes teams 1 through 9 and excludes their own team. Team 1 gets 9 pts, Team 2 gets 8, etc. So 45 possible points per coach (head coaches only), 10 programs = 450 total points.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby MUBoxer » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:00 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:

Actually it is pretty easy to explain...

1). Brunson over Ellenson - Since Nova is perceived as the team with more top players there is a good chance that coaches split their vote between guys like Arch, Ochefu, Hart and Brunson. If every coach picked a combination of 3 of those 4 for their All-BE teams it's easy to see how Brunson may have finished below Ellenson. When looking at Marq. the perception might have been that there are only two guys to consider: Ellenson and Fisher. Ellenson gets the Marq vote in the All-BE team poll. When faced with looking at just Brunson or Ellenson there is no chance that a vote gets split. It's just A or B. More coaches felt A would make a bigger impact. Probably splitting hairs either way--they both seem to be fantastic players. I would imagine that it was extremely close and would think that those two got all the first and 2nd place votes.

2). Pt system... Each coach votes teams 1 through 9 and excludes their own team. Team 1 gets 9 pts, Team 2 gets 8, etc. So 45 possible points per coach (head coaches only), 10 programs = 450 total points.

Thank you (and stever) for the explanation.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby RedStormHoops » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:53 pm

Do any nova fans know who's peforming at their midnight madness thing on Friday?
RedStormHoops

Postby Jet915 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:35 pm

Great news about the final being on Fox.
Jet915

Postby stever20 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:36 pm

Jet915 wrote:Great news about the final being on Fox.

It's funny- can't remember if I posted it(or if so where I posted)- but 2 big things I thought the Big East needed to do was move the NYE marathon away from football and get the tourney final moved to Big Fox. I think it's 2 huge moves. Also love them moving the tourney final away from the ACC final- so now going up against the Big 12. Should bring much stronger ratings for it as well. Will go up against I think the last 10 minutes or so of Big Ten SF/MWC final. And loving that with it at 5:30, and Pac 12 on FS1 at 10pm, FS1 should be able to do extended post game coverage this time- instead of going right to the Pac 12 finals.

Also- it feels like more and more games are getting on Big Fox. Like I don't know if Ackerman really spoke up to Fox about that or not- but it seems very possible.

So I think the moves the conference made this year were pretty much 100% spot on. I can't think of one that I'm like even close to not liking. All VERY smart decisions IMO.
stever20

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:00 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
45 possible points per coach (head coaches only), 10 programs = 450 total points.

stever20 wrote:
Preseason coaches picks:

Villanova 81
Georgetown 70
Butler 67
Xavier 55
PC 45
Marquette 44
Seton Hall 27
DePaul 25
Creighton 23
St John's 13

. . . and a reasonable interpretation thereof:

1. Villanova
2./3. COIN TOSS: Georgetown / Butler
4. Xavier
5./6. COIN TOSS: PC / Marquette
7./8./9. DICE THROW: Seton Hall /DePaul / Creighton
10. St John's
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby NovaBall » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:22 am

MUPanther wrote:Media Day is LIve on FOX SPORTS GO

Does the fox sports go ap offer replays of this type of content?
NovaBall

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board