Nova Blue White Scrimmage & Closed Door Scrimmage vs. U Md.

The home for Big East hoops

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:24 am

Blue / White Scrimmage on Saturday; consistent observations from many who attended:
- Brunson looks like an upper classman with the ball in his hands; also 3/3 from 3 in the game
- Ochefu's back up Reynolds looks chiseled and long and held his own vs. Ochefu; gives Nova more height than they could have put on the floor last year
- Arch, Hart, Jenkins, Ochefu all solid as expected from upper classmen
- Biggest surprise of the day apparently was Frosh Donte DiVencenzo. 6'5" with a 40" vertical; BE body already; he displayed elite athleticism (who would have guessed for a Italian white kid from DE); shot 4/6 from 3. Some thought that he'd be a potential red shirt going into the season. Many are saying he's going to get a decent amount of time at the 2/3 if he plays like he did yesterday. He was outside of the ESPN top 100 coming in (I think mostly b/c he was injured much of his Jr year). Most of the Nova faithful were blown away by his performance apparently.

I understand the need to pump the breaks and keep one game in perspective but we know what we'll get from the Jr's and Sr's. Good to hear there is some depth behind them as well.

On a side note, we heard that Nova will be playing Maryland in a closed door scrimmage in the next couple of weeks. Trimble vs. Brunson; Stone vs. Ochefu. Top preseason ACC team vs. top preseason BE team. Wish they'd sell tix to that one. Hoping someone can get a recap of that one to gauge where both teams are.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Nova Blue White Scrimmage & Closed Door Scrimmage vs. U

Postby stever20 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:27 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:Blue / White Scrimmage on Saturday; consistent observations from many who attended:
- Brunson looks like an upper classman with the ball in his hands; also 3/3 from 3 in the game
- Ochefu's back up Reynolds looks chiseled and long and held his own vs. Ochefu; gives Nova more height than they could have put on the floor last year
- Biggest surprise of the day apparently was Frosh Donte DiVencenzo. 6'5" with a 40" vertical; BE body already; he displayed elite athleticism (who would have guessed for a Italian white kid from DE); shot 4/6 from 3. Some thought that he'd be a potential red shirt going into the season. Many are saying he's going to get a decent amount of time at the 2/3 if he plays like he did yesterday. He was outside of the ESPN top 100 coming in (I think mostly b/c he was injured much of his Jr year). Most of the Nova faithful were blown away by his performance apparently.

I understand the need to pump the breaks and keep one game in perspective but we know what we'll get from the Jr's and Sr's. Good to hear there is some depth behind them as well.

On a side note, we heard that Nova will be playing Maryland in a closed door scrimmage in the next couple of weeks. Trimble vs. Brunson; Stone vs. Ochefu. Top preseason ACC team vs. top preseason BE team. Wish they'd sell tix to that one. Hoping someone can get a recap of that one to gauge where both teams are.

Freudian slip there- remember Maryland is in the Big Ten now(it's tough to remember- I still do it sometimes!)....

it seems like those closed door scrimmages are where college hoops is going. Seeing them more and more.
stever20

Postby Jet915 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:58 pm

If they have a solid backup for Ochefu, that will help greatly.
Jet915

Postby Amase2 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:51 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:Blue / White Scrimmage on Saturday; consistent observations from many who attended:

I said last year that Reynolds is a player. Ready to break out.
Amase2

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:37 am

stever20 wrote:
Freudian slip there- remember Maryland is in the Big Ten now(it's tough to remember- I still do it sometimes!)....

it seems like those closed door scrimmages are where college hoops is going. Seeing them more and more.

Yes, B1G... I see Big10 in my mind but my hands type ACC out of habit. Missouri & Tex A&M in the SEC, Syracuse in the ACC, Maryland in the B1G. Realignment sucks.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby stever20 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:36 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
stever20 wrote:

Yes, B1G... I see Big10 in my mind but my hands type ACC out of habit. Missouri & Tex A&M in the SEC, Syracuse in the ACC, Maryland in the B1G. Realignment sucks.

Yup! I think the tough one for me still is West Virginia in the Big 12.

And the one that would be a brutal one is Rutgers with the Big Ten, but they are so inconsequential to college sports that it's pretty much meaningless.
stever20

Return to Big East basketball message board