Georgetown
37%
Villanova
63%

Total votes : 30

Re: Poll: WHO WINS THE BIGEAST?

Postby BigmanU » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:24 am

Georgetown.

The loss of Hilliard and Pinkston are being greatly underrated.
BigmanU

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Westbrook#36 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:37 am

Villanova.

Until someone steps up and knocks them off the top of the BE mountain, the road for the BE title goes through Nova. If anyone does knock them off this year, I see Butler being the one to do it. I've got G'town finishing 4th.
Westbrook#36

Postby hoyahooligan » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:09 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:G'town finished 4 games behind Nova last year.

Did G'town bring in so much more talent to make up those 4 games or did Nova lose talent that they will drop? I say neither.

Here's what I see...Nova has 4 players that are all top 3 at their positions in the BE in Ochefu (C), Hart (SF), Arch (2G), Brunson (PG).

Nova has dominated this league in the regular season the last two years. Until someone can knock of the BIg Dog, they'll still be the Big Dog.

Both. 8-)

Obviously preseason I think you put Nova until proven otherwise, but I think with the sophomore leap of Peak, Copeland, White, and Campbell, plus the addition of Govan, Derrickson, and Johnson Georgetown is significantly improved from last year's version.

Hilliard and Pinkston are huge losses and Ennis is a decent loss as well. I think Villanova is less deep than they were last year as a result. Sure maybe Brunson can come in and replace Hilliard, but who replaces Pinkston? Who's the starting PF? Who spells Ochefu?
hoyahooligan

Postby Westbrook#36 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:01 pm

So losing Hilliard, Pinkston, and Ennis are huge blows to Nova and their depth, but Smith, Trawick, and Hopkins are easily replaceable for the Hoyas? ... Alrighty then.

I think some of our Hoya brethren maybe underrating Josh Hart, Phil Booth, Kris Jenkins, Jalen Brunson and his fellow freshman.
Westbrook#36

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:08 pm

hoyahooligan wrote:
Obviously preseason I think you put Nova until proven otherwise, but I think with the sophomore leap of Peak, Copeland, White, and Campbell, plus the addition of Govan, Derrickson, and Johnson Georgetown is significantly improved from last year's version.

Hilliard and Pinkston are huge losses and Ennis is a decent loss as well. I think Villanova is less deep than they were last year as a result. Sure maybe Brunson can come in and replace Hilliard, but who replaces Pinkston? Who's the starting PF? Who spells Ochefu?

Ask any Nova fan and they'll tell you that Booth is a big upgrade to Ennis, and Brunson is probably better than both of this guys on day one. JVP leaves, and it will hurt the front court a bit but his minutes will be picked up by a stretch 4 in Jenkins who will spread the floor and bomb away from three and Hart who is much quicker and more athletic than JVP and can spread the floor also.

The wildcard for us is RS Frosh Bridges. ESPN top 100 who took a year off to get acclimated to the college game and get stronger. 6'7" with a 7 ft wingspan who can shoot from the outside. If he contributes we're going back to be scary good.

Hilliard hurts but probably more defensively. We have players who can replace his offense with a combination of Brunson, Booth and Hart. Not sure anyone is going to be able to handle Ochefu who will be a year older, wiser, stronger. And backup C Reynolds is athletic and long. Think he will surprise some people. What we lose in Braun with JVP we make up in length and athleticism.

Should be fun matchup with the Hoyas this year though. Lots of talent on both sides.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby BigmanU » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:50 pm

Westbrook#36 wrote:So losing Hilliard, Pinkston, and Ennis are huge blows to Nova and their depth, but Smith, Trawick, and Hopkins are easily replaceable for the Hoyas? ... Alrighty then.

I think some of our Hoya brethren maybe underrating Josh Hart, Phil Booth, Kris Jenkins, Jalen Brunson and his fellow freshman.

Each player Smith, Trawick, and Hopkins was pretty much one dimensional.

Smith Plus Plus 2 feet from basket but defensive sieve on help D
Hopkins-above average weak side defense but offensively limited
Trawick-Great wing defense but had offensive limitations (not as much a liability as he was earlier in his career)

They'll be replaced with multi-skilled Freshman. I think it will balance out.

I banking on the Sophomores to take that next step however. That's where the difference will lye.
BigmanU

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board