Shamorie Ponds commits to St. John's!!!!!!

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Shamorie Ponds commits to St. John's!!!!!!

Postby OmahaGuy » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:19 pm

Congrats to Mullin and the St. John's faithful on the pickup! This St. John's staff can FLAT OUT get players and if they can develop them (so far everything from what I've seen says they will), St. John's will become a BEAST. I've always known that SJU was a sleeping giant. Now I think the staff will turn to Rawle Alkins. As conference fans, no matter who we side with, we all must cheer on our fellow conference mates to pick these highly touted kids up. Our conference still has so many haters to prove wrong.
OmahaGuy

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jet915 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:03 pm

Get Rawle or Thon and this class will be HUGE.
Jet915

Postby warriorfan4life » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:15 pm

Great pick-up for the Johnnies. I think an ever bigger statement is that a consensus top 50 player had three Big East schools as finalists, and turned away late interest from Arizona to decide between St. John's and Providence.
Marquette
warriorfan4life

Postby RedStormHoops » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:06 am

Thanks for all the support. As for what's next for St. John's, I think Basir Ahmed, a big time JUCO who Louisville is after, is what the staff really wants next. He was on campus this past weekend, worked out with the team, and hung out at Dribble For the Cure, a fun event St. John's university has every year.

Another guy St. John's is after is Mitchell Lightfoot, a guy who is 99th in the ESPN 100, visits St. John's this weekend. He is the top player in Arizona and already has an Arizona offer, so it will probably be hard to pry him away from there. But he does visit.

Shamorie is a great pickup, and as of now it looks like he joins Kassoum Yakwe for the 2016 class (last I've heard is Yakwe will play as a freshmen in 2016). Ponds said he has started to text Rawle Alkins about coming to SJU, but i am hesitant to get excited with Rawle playing ball in North Carolina this year. As for Thon, we will see how that develops.
RedStormHoops

Postby Rum_Ham » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:23 am

RedStormHoops wrote:Thanks for all the support. As for what's next for St. John's, I think Basir Ahmed, a big time JUCO who Louisville is after, is what the staff really wants next. He was on campus this past weekend, worked out with the team, and hung out at Dribble For the Cure, a fun event St. John's university has every year.

Another guy St. John's is after is Mitchell Lightfoot, a guy who is 99th in the ESPN 100, visits St. John's this weekend. He is the top player in Arizona and already has an Arizona offer, so it will probably be hard to pry him away from there. But he does visit.

Shamorie is a great pickup, and as of now it looks like he joins Kassoum Yakwe for the 2016 class (last I've heard is Yakwe will play as a freshmen in 2016). Ponds said he has started to text Rawle Alkins about coming to SJU, but i am hesitant to get excited with Rawle playing ball in North Carolina this year. As for Thon, we will see how that develops.

Bashir Ahmed would be a huge pickup he may be the best JUCO in the country. Also St John's has an assistant in Germany visiting Richard Freudenberg who is ranked top 50 by 247. Looks like the johnnies are shaping up to have a top 10 class.
Marquette 2016
Rum_Ham

Postby stever20 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:35 am

RedStormHoops wrote:Thanks for all the support. As for what's next for St. John's, I think Basir Ahmed, a big time JUCO who Louisville is after, is what the staff really wants next. He was on campus this past weekend, worked out with the team, and hung out at Dribble For the Cure, a fun event St. John's university has every year.

Yakwe is on the roster this season:
http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m- ... l-mtt.html

tough to see Yakwe reclassifying into 2015 class, but then redshirting. That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
stever20

Postby RedStormHoops » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:26 am

stever20 wrote:

tough to see Yakwe reclassifying into 2015 class, but then redshirting. That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

As of now insiders at SJU think he won't qualify for this season yea he's on the roster now but we've been told that won't stick hopefully that's not the case
RedStormHoops

Postby NJRedman » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:20 am

RedStormHoops wrote:
stever20 wrote:

As of now insiders at SJU think he won't qualify for this season yea he's on the roster now but we've been told that won't stick hopefully that's not the case

I hate when people say "insiders" on message boards. It's usually never what actually happens.
NJRedman

Postby Chalmers0 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:40 am

stever20 wrote:

Being listed on the roster basically just means that he has been admitted to the school, doesn't necessarily mean he has passed through the clearinghouse which I think is still an obstacle.
Chalmers0

Postby stever20 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:56 am

article about Diallo from the same school as Yakwe...
http://m.cjonline.com/sports/hawkzone/2 ... #gsc.tab=0

Could be a while before we know the final result.
stever20

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board