Poll: Who will finish in 6th place this year?

The home for Big East hoops

Who finishes 6th?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:05 pm

Butler
6%
Georgetown
No votes
Marquette
42%
Providence
45%
Villanova
No votes
Xavier
6%

Total votes : 64

Re: Poll: Who will finish in 6th place this year?

Postby FriarJ » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:51 pm

Okay, you surely know best
FriarJ

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MUBoxer » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:02 pm

FriarJ wrote:3rd year in a row, this board doubts Cooley and the Friars. Sounds good to me.

BE Records

Villanova 32-4 WOW!!!
Providence 21-15
St. Johns 20-16
Georgetown 20-16
Xavier 19-17
Creighton 18-18
Butler 16-20
Marquette 13-23
Seton Hall 12-24
Depaul 9-27

it's not to say that it will always be this way, it won't. Eventually we have to figure out how to beat Nova! But now 3 years in a row the experts on this board pick PC to be in the middle or lower half and it just hasn't happened. BET Champion then gave Nova everything they could handle in the semi's last year. Cooley's teams find a way and with Dunn anything is possible this year. The thought that they can suck because Dunn might get hurt is beyond ludicrous, it can be said about the majority of the schools.

My point was not that they'd be bad because Dunn could get hurt, it's that there's no clear cut go to person after Dunn. It's literally him on a team of average short people. Cooley's an amazing coach, and I certainly underestimated him when he started but I don't see it with this team and I stick with my comparison to Marshon Brooks in 2011.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby milksteak » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:35 pm

FriarJ wrote:History in this voting has shown that one or more of the top teams don't make the top 4 at the end. I could easily see a Marquette, PC, Creighton or SHU filling that void this year. Nova is clear, after that it's anybody's game.

It won't be Seton Hall, and I'll take that to the bank.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby gosports1 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:27 pm

6th place is coming down to the wire!
gosports1

Postby Hoya33 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:32 pm

Sixth place is the answer. It is a round robin league. There is no hiding. Through two seasons, Xavier is two games above 500. Not bad, basically what I expected from them. To suggest that they are above receiving 6th place votes is delusional. An honest assessment of their talent is about 5th or 6th in a competitive league.

BEX wrote:
Hoya33 wrote: What place did Xavier finish last year?

Sweet 16. In what a hoya fan called a "rebuiding year" By conf time, I expect X and Butler will match up favorably with any team in the League.
Hoya33

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:50 pm

I'm with you PC fans. I think some of the comments are underestimating you guys a bit. I love Bentil's game and he can make a big step up between Frosh and Soph yrs., and if you can get some consistency out of Lindsay or Counsel you'll be fine. I also do not agree with the "can't match up with bigger teams," theory. Marq has a wonderful front court but Dunn should have his way with them in the back court. I'm not saying that PC is necessarily better than MU but that often those height advantages are over blown. Nova did fine for years undersized b/c they put superior players on the perimeter. Most teams who have a height advantage over PC will have to try to match up with Dunn and co on the perimeter too.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby xavierfano8 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:45 pm

Hoya33 wrote:Sixth place is the answer. It is a round robin league. There is no hiding. Through two seasons, Xavier is two games above 500. Not bad, basically what I expected from them. To suggest that they are above receiving 6th place votes is delusional. An honest assessment of their talent is about 5th or 6th in a competitive league.

BEX wrote:
Hoya33 wrote: What place did Xavier finish last year?

Sweet 16. In what a hoya fan called a "rebuiding year" By conf time, I expect X and Butler will match up favorably with any team in the League.

Yup it's a good thing Georgetown is in the league or we would be under .500 :D
Xavier University '12
xavierfano8

Postby hoyahooligan » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:08 pm

My comment didn't get posted (What's with that Admin? sometimes I hit submit and then I come back and the comment isn't there?) but I agree with the PC fans and Gumby. Dunn is a huge difference maker, he'll make everyone around him better. And Bentil, Lindsey and Bullock are all really good players. And Marquette's front court is overrated. Ellenson seems like the real deal, but fischer is massively overrated. You want to talk about rebounding when fischer couldn't even average 5 rebounds a game. Marquette actually lost their 2 leading rebounders. Rebounding isn't just about size. It's about effort and technique.
hoyahooligan

Postby BEX » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:28 pm

Make the Dance and Advance. If you don't win the conf., nobody really cares or remembers. I can't remember where X finished the last 10 yrs. but I can tell you every single Dance win 'cuz I was usually there. Conf. championships are nice, but it's all about the 2nd and 3rd weekend. I would prefer the question, "who goes to the Dance this year? College BB is all about the Tournament. Finish well enough to get in it and advance.
BEX

Postby FriarJ » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:10 am

MUBoxer wrote:
FriarJ wrote:3rd year in a row, this board doubts Cooley and the Friars. Sounds good to me.

BE Records

Villanova 32-4 WOW!!!
Providence 21-15
St. Johns 20-16
Georgetown 20-16
Xavier 19-17
Creighton 18-18
Butler 16-20
Marquette 13-23
Seton Hall 12-24
Depaul 9-27

it's not to say that it will always be this way, it won't. Eventually we have to figure out how to beat Nova! But now 3 years in a row the experts on this board pick PC to be in the middle or lower half and it just hasn't happened. BET Champion then gave Nova everything they could handle in the semi's last year. Cooley's teams find a way and with Dunn anything is possible this year. The thought that they can suck because Dunn might get hurt is beyond ludicrous, it can be said about the majority of the schools.

My point was not that they'd be bad because Dunn could get hurt, it's that there's no clear cut go to person after Dunn. It's literally him on a team of average short people. Cooley's an amazing coach, and I certainly underestimated him when he started but I don't see it with this team and I stick with my comparison to Marshon Brooks in 2011.

So now you are comparing a player who would not play defense and a team coached by Keno Davis to the BE defensive player of the year, probable NPOY and a team coached by Ed Cooley? Wow.
FriarJ

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board