Who will be Freshman of the year?

The home for Big East hoops

Postby MUBoxer » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:15 am

Curious who everybody thinks will end up being Freshman of the year. Obvious candidates are Brunson or Ellenson. But wondering who you guys think the other dark horse candidates are.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Who will be Freshman of the year?

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:09 am

Ellenson and Brunson seem to be the odds on favorites but last year people were saying the same about Whitehead. Obviously Delgado and even Bluiett and Copeland out-performed him IMO.

I would think Govan should do well at G'town, and you would think that at least 2 Frosh are going to get serious time on the floor for the Johnnies. I hear the PG Marq got, Traci Carter, is a player. Maybe he can snatch it away from his teammate.

What might be interesting to watch are the RS Frosh. Harrell at CU, Bridges at Nova, Sumner at X (not sure if I'm forgetting anyone). All 3 were highly touted coming out of HS and got a year to get stronger and acclimated to the college game. We're hoping he is a big part of our team this year.

If I were to put $ on it, I'd say Ellenson. I think Brunson will end up deferring to other players on Nova, Govan has more of a supporting cast to defer to as well with DSR, Copeland, Peak and White. Ellenson will score, grab rebounds, block shots and get all the minutes he can handle. I expect that he'll stuff the stat sheet enough to warrant the selection, and if Marq moves up the standings a few rungs his addition to the team will be probably be the reason.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby BigmanU » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:11 am

MUBoxer wrote:Curious who everybody thinks will end up being Freshman of the year. Obvious candidates are Brunson or Ellenson. But wondering who you guys think the other dark horse candidates are.

Henry Ellenson will probably be ROY

The 1st team will probably consist of at least the following also:

Jalen Brunson
Marcus Derrickson
Jessie Govan
& maybe Marcus Lovett if he's eligible
BigmanU

Postby DudeAnon » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:15 am

Can only speak for my team, but our two candidates would probably be Makinde London or Edmond Sumner. Sumner seems to be the pre-season favorite to really shine and his position (point guard) should be an easier battle than London would have for PF (Jalen Reynolds.) Still, I don't like to get freshman any accolades until they have proven it so I wouldn't make a bet on any freshmen coming in and dominating.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby hoyahooligan » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:16 am

MUBoxer wrote:Curious who everybody thinks will end up being Freshman of the year. Obvious candidates are Brunson or Ellenson. But wondering who you guys think the other dark horse candidates are.

Dark horses: Marcus Derrickson, Marcus Lovett

Depending on how the rules work: Reggie Bullock
hoyahooligan

Postby FriarJ » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:18 am

Bullock if we call him eligible will be in contention, otherwise I'm going with Ricky Council as a dark horse.
FriarJ

Postby NJRedman » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:48 am

Lovett and he is eligible. He's already been cleared
NJRedman

Postby milksteak » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:24 pm

I'd be shocked if it's not Ellenson.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby cu blujs » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:22 pm

Since Creighton's top newcomers are transfers, it won't be someone from CU. I don't recall, does BE also have a newcomer of the year? If so, there is a chance that either Cole Huff or Maurice Watson, Jr. could get into the running.
cu blujs

Postby Amase2 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:58 pm

NJRedman wrote:Lovett and he is eligible. He's already been cleared

Don't think its official yet. But with the minutes and opportunities he will get I would be real surprised if he wasnt 1st team all rookie.

Ill go with Ellenson
Amase2

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board