How Hot Are Our Coaches Seats?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: How Hot Are Our Coaches Seats?

Postby stever20 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:12 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:I find this argument absolutely hilarious that fans of a program that hasn't sniffed the post season since this conference was formed, are expressing how disappointed they are in one of the programs that has played the most tourney games since it was formed. And questioning the contributions of the one team that has remained consistently relevant in the Top 10. We have done our part. We were expected to finish 4th in the league in 2013-14, not first. We ended up 16-2 and in the Top 5 in the rankings and RPI. Yeah, terrible job there.

Again, for all of you fans that are "disappointed" in Nova's representation of this conference, I have a suggestion... How about your team steps up and earns a one or two seed on your own and does some damage before worrying about how you've been let down by the standard bearer in this league the past 2 seasons.

And to be accurate my understanding is that none of us are collecting on tourney credits from what occurred in the old Big East. We forfeited those when we left the others. So according to my count Marq is currently along with SHU and DePaul as the only current BE teams not contributing tourney credits. When should we start that ticker tape parade?

Tourney credits from the C7 schools were the only thing besides MSG and Big East name that we got to keep.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:17 am

billyjack wrote:
stever20 wrote:Gotta love Villanova fan thinking that the tournament is meaningless and regular season is all that matters.

Marquette has delivered less bad press than Villanova has. What is Villanova known by these last 2 years? Picollo girl. that's not good.

Dimwits only look at the NCAA's to determine conference or team strength. Villanova in 2 years has non-conf wins over Kansas, Iowa, Syracuse, Michigan, Illinois, and VCU, plus Temple twice. And they've gone 62-8 over the last 2 years, and 32-4 in a Top-3 power conference, with a BET championship. And they continually add 4 and 5 stars to their roster.

If that's true, then why will every single thing written about the Big East preseason be about the lack of tournament performance. Every single thing. You can act like the NCAA doesn't mean much, that the regular season means 1000 times more- but that's not the view of pretty much every media member and all of the casual fans.

So tell me. Who is remembered more in 2014. Florida or UConn? 2015, Duke or Kentucky? 1987 Providence or Georgetown? 1985 Villanova or Georgetown? Of course- UConn, Duke, Providence, and Villanova- because they did more in the tournament. Folks think back in 1985 that Villanova had a great team. Why? Because they won the tournament. They had what a 9 seed? That means they weren't one of the 28 best teams in the country regular season.

You guys can whine all you want about the era we live in, and how the regular season is meaningless. But it is what it is. And you have Villanova 1985 in part to thank for making the regular season meaningless.
stever20

Postby stever20 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:29 am

The thing is, if someone put out a thing saying that Villanova has done nothing wrong, they've been a great program, and not mentioned the NCAA tourney at all, that person would be looked at as being extremely tone deaf.

I know being a Georgetown fan- what is going on. I mean, look at the press Georgetown got for all the losses to teams like Florida Gulf Coast. We were looked at as being a major disappointment.
stever20

Postby MUBoxer » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:31 pm

Wow I don't remember posting that, 4:33am CST I was a little drunk. Anyways, Gumby is getting super defensive over nothing. I'm only on here to keep it honest not to compare programs. He seems to believe that these past two years of Nova will be remembered forever by every CBB fan around. They won't, years from now when we're talking the success nobody's gonna remember Nova's great years, they're gonna say "hey so X got to the sweet 16". Fact is they've under performed in March since the FF, that's not a debate. Same with Georgetown since theirs. He wants to deflect this so unless your team's been good the past two years you can't call them out... well that's stupid... a choke is a choke it has no relevance or baring on how good or bad another team is that I support.

Comes down to this, A) Nova has been the standard of our league for two seasons. B) Nova has choked completely in March. C) Jay Wright is not on the hot seat. D) Years from now the only team that's going to viewed as good these past two seasons is the team that advanced (X) sorry 2013 Creighton and Nova. and finally E) Gumby literally cannot fathom the fact that Nova has choked and I'm pretty sure his head might explode if he ever finally admitted the truth to himself.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby billyjack » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:56 pm

stever20 wrote:
billyjack wrote:
stever20 wrote:Gotta love Villanova fan thinking that the tournament is meaningless and regular season is all that matters.

Marquette has delivered less bad press than Villanova has. What is Villanova known by these last 2 years? Picollo girl. that's not good.

Dimwits only look at the NCAA's to determine conference or team strength. Villanova in 2 years has non-conf wins over Kansas, Iowa, Syracuse, Michigan, Illinois, and VCU, plus Temple twice. And they've gone 62-8 over the last 2 years, and 32-4 in a Top-3 power conference, with a BET championship. And they continually add 4 and 5 stars to their roster.

If that's true, then why will every single thing written about the Big East preseason be about the lack of tournament performance. Every single thing. You can act like the NCAA doesn't mean much, that the regular season means 1000 times more- but that's not the view of pretty much every media member and all of the casual fans.

So tell me. Who is remembered more in 2014. Florida or UConn? 2015, Duke or Kentucky? 1987 Providence or Georgetown? 1985 Villanova or Georgetown? Of course- UConn, Duke, Providence, and Villanova- because they did more in the tournament. Folks think back in 1985 that Villanova had a great team. Why? Because they won the tournament. They had what a 9 seed? That means they weren't one of the 28 best teams in the country regular season.

You guys can whine all you want about the era we live in, and how the regular season is meaningless. But it is what it is. And you have Villanova 1985 in part to thank for making the regular season meaningless.

Fans think of years as a whole, or eras as a whole, not just one team in one year. Just the fact that you mentioned 1985 Georgetown and 2015 Kentucky and 2014 Florida means that they are ingrained in your memory as having been successful and having had excellent years.

The same way the Syracuse teams in 1984 or 1985 or 1986, which went nowhere in the NCAA's, are memorable because they had great teams and played in the BET Finals and featured great players, Pearl, all that stuff. This is the case with these 62-8 Villanova teams.

As a kid, everyone knew that the AL team wins record was 111 by the 1954 Indians, but few could remember what team beat them in the World Series that year.
Providence
billyjack

Postby stever20 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:21 pm

You see, Syracuse isn't remembered anywhere near as much as Villanova is. Not even remotely close. Also, what made folks think of Syracuse was at least they made the title game in 1987.

Also, 85 Georgetown, 15 Kentucky, and 14 Florida all at least made the final 4. But they aren't remembered anywhere near as much as who won the championships. 14 Florida is remembered a whole lot better than Wichita St for example from 14 is losing in the 2nd round. And whether you like it or not, UConn who was a 7 seed in 2014 is remembered light years better than Villanova who was a 2 seed in 2014.

You might think the regular season is what matters. That's your prerogative. But It's not what the media thinks matters, and it's not what casual fans think matters.

I take Butler. What made Butler wasn't going to the tournament in 10 of 15 years or all the great regular seasons. What made Butler was going to the title game 2 straight years. 100%.
stever20

Postby marquette » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:54 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
And to be accurate my understanding is that none of us are collecting on tourney credits from what occurred in the old Big East. We forfeited those when we left the others. So according to my count Marq is currently along with SHU and DePaul as the only current BE teams not contributing tourney credits. When should we start that ticker tape parade?

Your understanding is wrong. Google is your friend. Enjoy those $$ from tourney credits. You're welcome.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby handdownmandown » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:04 pm

I'm almost positive Gumby is right.
handdownmandown

Postby stever20 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:10 pm

handdownmandown wrote:I'm almost positive Gumby is right.

nope.
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... ing-report

As part of the Catholic 7 schools' exit agreement with the Big East, the schools will keep all of their NCAA tournament units, sources told McMurphy.
stever20

Postby MUBoxer » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:03 am

Pretty sure we kept the tournament credits and because it's a six year rolling period Marquette would actually be collecting a lot of money for the BE still.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board