How Hot Are Our Coaches Seats?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: How Hot Are Our Coaches Seats?

Postby MUBoxer » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:04 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
MUBoxer wrote:
stever20 wrote:pretty good article about Nova:
http://articles.philly.com/2015-05-08/s ... -villanova

From 2005-09, the Wildcats made it to the second week four times, including an Elite Eight and that national semifinal.
Since then, they're 3-5. Which means there will be some explaining to do, even if you have won 62 of your last 70 in the overall.
"That really doesn't bother me," Wright said. "When things are going good and everybody's saying you're good, I don't listen to that, either. It's a great opportunity for me to remember, and our guys to learn.

I really do like Wright. He knows better than folks here what is coming this year. Hopefully Nova gets a chance again this year and does well with it.

Even he used the choke word! Wonder if they'd get on Jays case for such blasphemy

Having trouble reading MUB? What the actual quote said was:
"If the pressure got to us, I would use the choke word. We didn't play our best game." As in, no we didn't choke.

Some other interesting quotes from Jay that maybe you should also hear loud and clear:

"The fact that there's maybe a possibility of us being a high seed in a second-round game [next year], you know that's pretty good. We know there's going to be questions to answer if we're not in that position [too]. It's better than sitting here saying we missed the tournament a couple of years.
As in, "man I'm glad we performed well enough to be in a 3rd round tourney game. It would really suck to not even make the tourney." Does that hit a little too close to home?

"That really doesn't bother me," Wright said. "When things are going good and everybody's saying you're good, I don't listen to that, either. It's a great opportunity for me to remember, and our guys to learn, if you're going to play at this highest level, then people are going to judge you. You can't hold it against them. That's just the way it is in sports. You just don't have to believe what they say." As in stupid people are going to say stupid things. Jay needs to come no further than the HLOH forum to find proof of that.

One game isn't going to define who we are.

"And I know if we don't get to the second weekend next year, it's going to be a big deal. But until we get there, there's so much work to do. And the only thing that would be worse is if we don't get there."

So I tell you what... let's both hope that our respective teams reverse the trend of embarrassing our conference. You guys need to see if you can just make the tournament. That doesn't sound too hard. And we'll see if we can get to the SW16 and beyond once we get there. OK?

Wow I didn't read that right at all haha guess that's my fault woke up wayyy too early today. But to your quotes he says there'll be questions to answer, or it's going to be a big deal next year, there's so much work to do. Dude we're not on an individual team forum though, this is a spot to critique each others teams etc if there ever was one. Critique my team all you want I don't really care if it's a fair criticism. Heck we were choking in the tournament from 05-10 (especially 08, 09, 10) it happens. Point is it's being honest about your teams performance and what counts in the end. To 90% of the CBB fans that advancing is what matters.

In the end we're never gonna agree on this. I have tremendous respect for Nova and they're one of the two programs I consider our peers in this conference and one of the 3 others I really respect and cheer to succeed. Personally I'd rather see Nova pull a run like Jay mentioned when he was 20 and something and made the elite 8 than pull and unbelievable season and not make it out of the first weekend. But that's me, you obviously disagree and that's cool to. Whatever tickles your pickle eh?
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Burrito » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:39 pm

If the Big East is consistently putting 5 teams into the tournament each year, we will get our deep runs. It's just a matter of time. We also need to have multiple teams ranked throughout the year. There were some stretches the first year where only 1 team was ranked. That didn't look good.
Burrito

Postby stever20 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:49 pm

Burrito wrote:If the Big East is consistently putting 5 teams into the tournament each year, we will get our deep runs. It's just a matter of time. We also need to have multiple teams ranked throughout the year. There were some stretches the first year where only 1 team was ranked. That didn't look good.

The big key is always going to be the OOC schedule. Being a smaller conference means your OOC play is going to determine the conference fate a lot more than a bigger conference OOC play does.

I think as far as rankings, obviously the OOC matters, but also the prior tournament matters.
stever20

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board