How Hot Are Our Coaches Seats?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: How Hot Are Our Coaches Seats?

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:38 pm

For those coming in late, let me recap our buddy Stever's contributions to this thread...

Comment # 1 - "Let's say this- to casual fans- Nova has underachieved WAY more than St John's (or frankly any other Big East school) the last 2 years."
- This statement is so moronic I don't know where to start. They underachieved MORE than SJU even though they finished 6 games ahead of them, beat them twice convincingly, finished with a Top 5 ranking and Top 5 RPI, won both the BE and BET championships and won a game in the tourney. You're right SJU really showed us what we should aspire to be as a program.

Comment # 2 - "Sorry but you are wrong when you say that Nova has held up it's end of the bargain the last 2 years. Because they haven't. What matters in NCAA basketball now is 99% NCAA tournament."
- My response: "Great, tell me which BE teams have played in more tourney games the last 2 years than Nova." Stever: Crickets.
Again a moronic statement as 8 other BE teams have played in less tourney games, and only X has played in as many. If it is about the tourney why again are you singling Nova out as THE underachieving, embarrassment to the conference?"

Comment # 3 - (citing an ESPN article that says): "When the 2015-16 season rolls around, it’s fair to say that every Big East program will have an emphasis on producing results in March. Even the teams that didn’t make it last season."
- Somehow according to Stever this is proof that Nova let the conference down. We all know that the BE has not fared as well as we all hoped in March but again Stever feels that it is only a problem for Nova.

Comment # 4 - "not the NC State loss. NC State should have lost to LSU. That's the one that is the absolute killer."
- My response: "NC State also beat Duke, L'ville and UNC last year. Do you think losing to a team who beat the eventual NC and three top 4 seeds is shameful?" - Stever: Crickets.

Comment #5 - "The problem with you Gumby and your argument is all you want to focus on is the regular season."
- Completely idiotic comment when I pointed to the fact that no BE team had played in more tourney games than Nova. So is that in any way about the regular season? No, Stever it is not.

This is where Stever starts to move the goalposts, like he does in most arguments when he realizes that he is off base:

Comment # 6 Stever: "Or 1985, who is remembered better, Villanova or Georgetown? Even this past year, Kentucky or Duke?" "Who's remembered more the Braves or the Marlins."
- Now it is about only winning championships, even though most of us remember all of those exceptional Braves teams but struggle to remember one Marlins team. No current BE team has won a Championship since 1985. According to Stever, we all suck I guess.

Comment #7 (The Clincher) - "Marquette has delivered less bad press than Villanova has. What is Villanova known by these last 2 years?"
- So as programs we should strive to not even make the post season for fear that we might get some "bad press" should we lose? Did I get that right?

YOU=COMPLETE TOOL!"

And some other comments in just this thread, about his beloved AAC, to let you know where his true agenda lies:

"I defend the AAC on here because they are way better than folks on here want to make them out."
"They were better than the Big East 2 years ago."

Again I will state that we Nova fans expect more than winning just one game in the tourney each year. Arter getting to the tourney we clearly had higher aspirations than a round of 32 loss. But when phrases like "chokers," "embarrassment" and "biggest conference under-achievers" are thrown out there you can expect Nova fans to meet that vitriol in kind.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:04 pm

Your problem Gumby is your entire argument is predicated on the REGULAR season. Villanova is great in the REGULAR season. But what the college basketball sport has evolved to- in large part because of Villanova in 1985- is it's a POSTSEASON sport. No other Big East team has symbolized the POSTSEASON problems than Villanova. A 2 and 1 seed, and yet only a win over 15 and a win over a 16. Sorry that's so hard for you to grasp, but that is the fact. It's not what St John's did, but it's rather what Villanova didn't do.

As far as NC State. They should have lost to a BAD LSU team.

My point about all the comparisons- like 1985- the post season is why Villanova is remembered so well- not the regular season. Because the post season is where teams are measured in college basketball. not the regular season. And when you have 2 teams- a 1 seed and a 9 seed. And they don't make the sweet 16- which one is a bigger disappointment? The 1 seed, because much more was expected from them. And it's not remotely close.

When much is given, much is expected.
stever20

Postby MUBoxer » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:23 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
Again I will state that we Nova fans expect more than winning just one game in the tourney each year. Arter getting to the tourney we clearly had higher aspirations than a round of 32 loss. But when phrases like "chokers," "embarrassment" and "biggest conference under-achievers" are thrown out there you can expect Nova fans to meet that vitriol in kind.

His comment about Marquette doing less harm was stupid, especially in the first year where we really choked in spite of tremendous experience returning. But you see what I just did? I admitted to the faults of my alma mater's program. I suggest you learn how to do the same, in 2010 you choked, in 2014, you choked, in 2015 you choked. Did great all year and congrats that helped the immediate perception but those will be forgotten over time. Certainly not an embarrassment or biggest conference under-achievers but choking is an accurate descriptor and you should take off the Nova Blue glasses.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:41 pm

MUBoxer wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:

His comment about Marquette doing less harm was stupid, especially in the first year where we really choked in spite of tremendous experience returning. But you see what I just did? I admitted to the faults of my alma mater's program. I suggest you learn how to do the same, in 2010 you choked, in 2014, you choked, in 2015 you choked. Did great all year and congrats that helped the immediate perception but those will be forgotten over time. Certainly not an embarrassment or biggest conference under-achievers but choking is an accurate descriptor and you should take off the Nova Blue glasses.

And how would you have reacted if say a fan of SJU or DePaul or SHU had referred to your alma mater as "chokers" after the 2014 season? Don't you believe that Marq had built up enough equity for their overall body of work and have been shown more respect from fans whose programs have woefully underperformed for years?
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby MUBoxer » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:37 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
MUBoxer wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:

And how would you have reacted if say a fan of SJU or DePaul or SHU had referred to your alma mater as "chokers" after the 2014 season? Don't you believe that Marq had built up enough equity for their overall body of work and have been shown more respect from fans whose programs have woefully underperformed for years?

I would've been honest. Saying "yeah we completely choked, though at least we know we'll be back soon unlike you guys crossing your fingers for a return to a bygone era." Don't need to remind me how much trash I talked before that offseason and subsequent season went to hell haha :?
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby NJRedman » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:42 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
MUBoxer wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:

Yeah except you freaked out and insulted the SJU fans before anyone called Nova chokers. Sooooooo yeah
NJRedman

Postby stever20 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:36 am

pretty good article about Nova:
http://articles.philly.com/2015-05-08/s ... -villanova

From 2005-09, the Wildcats made it to the second week four times, including an Elite Eight and that national semifinal.
Since then, they're 3-5. Which means there will be some explaining to do, even if you have won 62 of your last 70 in the overall.
"That really doesn't bother me," Wright said. "When things are going good and everybody's saying you're good, I don't listen to that, either. It's a great opportunity for me to remember, and our guys to learn.

I really do like Wright. He knows better than folks here what is coming this year. Hopefully Nova gets a chance again this year and does well with it.
stever20

Postby MUBoxer » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:59 am

stever20 wrote:pretty good article about Nova:

From 2005-09, the Wildcats made it to the second week four times, including an Elite Eight and that national semifinal.
Since then, they're 3-5. Which means there will be some explaining to do, even if you have won 62 of your last 70 in the overall.
"That really doesn't bother me," Wright said. "When things are going good and everybody's saying you're good, I don't listen to that, either. It's a great opportunity for me to remember, and our guys to learn.

I really do like Wright. He knows better than folks here what is coming this year. Hopefully Nova gets a chance again this year and does well with it.

Even he used the choke word! Wonder if they'd get on Jays case for such blasphemy
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby ChestRockwell85 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:31 am

Hoya Hoya Hoya wrote:
stever20 wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:Stever, I couldn't care less about your opinions. You are not a fan of the BE. You have made that abundantly clear. I at least have respect for the fans of the other programs in this league--even when I think they are way off base. You on the other hand play the role of expectations manager, devil's advocate and occasional troll well. But you might as well just admit that's why your here instead of acting like you are a fan of G'town. I have no respect for you because you can't be honest with anyone. You supply your subtle digs of anything BE (V'nova now included) and defend the AAC at every turn. Then you deny that's what you are doing. Your act is old.

Sorry but I am a fan of Georgetown....

And yes, Villanova has disappointed quite a bit. Right now, they are probably quite frankly the biggest NCAA tournament disappointment in the entire nation the last 2 years. Sorry but you are wrong when you say that Nova has held up it's end of the bargain the last 2 years. Because they haven't. What matters in NCAA basketball now is 99% NCAA tournament. You might not like it- but that is reality. Go find me any preview this year that doesn't mention the tournament. Just 1. You aren't going to find it.

I defend the AAC on here because they are way better than folks on here want to make them out. Reading folks on here- makes them look like they're the 20th best conference or something like that. Sorry but that is just dumb. They were better than the Big East 2 years ago(yes, because of the NCAA tourney). Last year was tough- but with how they've been recruiting- and maybe moreso because of the transfers they're getting in- they're going to be pretty good this year. I think it's dumb as crap AAC fans dissing on the Big East, and I think it's dumb as crap Big East fans dissing on the AAC. Like I've said- the better the Big East does- it helps the AAC- and vice versa. The AAC isn't the Big East enemy, the P5 is.

The AAC wont be relevant in 10yrs. Who cares about a league that has every school wanting out.

Big East is solidified as long as Georgetown is happy. I have been on record of saying that once the P5 breakaway from the NCAA they will back fill their leagues with basketball schools.People think that last statement is ridiculous but talk to me in 15 years when it goes down.

Don't get me wrong, I think Georgetown, academics, DC, etc. is definitely a school that would fit the ACC mold especially now since Maryland is gone, but I don't think they are holding this league together anymore than Villanova is. Villanova, academics, Philadelphia, a football team that is more able to make the jump, etc. It will be interesting to see how this plays out but I just don't think Georgetown is the only attractive option. Even St. John's, people want NYC and MSG, you grab St. John's, problem solved.
1985 / 2016 / 2018 NATIONAL CHAMPS gtmoBlue is my homeboy
ChestRockwell85

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:06 am

MUBoxer wrote:
stever20 wrote:pretty good article about Nova:

Even he used the choke word! Wonder if they'd get on Jays case for such blasphemy

Having trouble reading MUB? What the actual quote said was:
"If the pressure got to us, I would use the choke word. We didn't play our best game." As in, no we didn't choke.

Some other interesting quotes from Jay that maybe you should also hear loud and clear:

"The fact that there's maybe a possibility of us being a high seed in a second-round game [next year], you know that's pretty good. We know there's going to be questions to answer if we're not in that position [too]. It's better than sitting here saying we missed the tournament a couple of years.
As in, "man I'm glad we performed well enough to be in a 3rd round tourney game. It would really suck to not even make the tourney." Does that hit a little too close to home?

"That really doesn't bother me," Wright said. "When things are going good and everybody's saying you're good, I don't listen to that, either. It's a great opportunity for me to remember, and our guys to learn, if you're going to play at this highest level, then people are going to judge you. You can't hold it against them. That's just the way it is in sports. You just don't have to believe what they say." As in stupid people are going to say stupid things. Jay needs to come no further than the HLOH forum to find proof of that.

One game isn't going to define who we are.

"And I know if we don't get to the second weekend next year, it's going to be a big deal. But until we get there, there's so much work to do. And the only thing that would be worse is if we don't get there."

So I tell you what... let's both hope that our respective teams reverse the trend of embarrassing our conference. You guys need to see if you can just make the tournament. That doesn't sound too hard. And we'll see if we can get to the SW16 and beyond once we get there. OK?
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board