How Hot Are Our Coaches Seats?

The home for Big East hoops

Postby NJRedman » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:29 am

On a scale of 1 (Ice cold) to 10 (Red hot) how is each of our ten coaches seats? I don't know how each fan base feels about their coaches so I'm just guessing. How do you guys feel about your coach and the others in the league?

St. John's/Chris Mullin- 1 Freezing, Mullin is the golden boy who returned home. Everyone is still feeling good about the hire.

Villanova/Jay Wright- 3 Cold, Wright has his team as the class of the league but I'm sure fans aren't happy with the quick exits from the NCAA tourney.

Marquette/Steve Wojo- 2 Ice Cold, Folks are excited about his recruiting class and basketball IQ.

Butler/Chris Holtman- 2 Ice Cold, after coming in as an interim coach and exceeded expectations that everyone had for the team even before Miller went nuts.

Xavier/Chris Mack- 2 Ice Cold, after a sweet 16 run and the threat of him being lured away not many in the Queen City are calling for him to go.

Seton Hall/Kevin Willard- 9 Scorching Hot, Willards second half collapse last season and the locker room chemistry problems his leash is incredibly short.

Creighton/Greg McDermott- 6 Warm, this is a big season for McDermott. He can either show he can coach at this level or that he can't. I think he has some room to work but if this is a season with no growth his seat will be very hot next season.

Georgetown/JT3- 4 Cool, His father is a legend at GTown and he has had success but he has the same issue as Nova but without the same level of reg season success.

Providence/Ed Cooley- 3 Cold, his BE tourney title and alumni status makes very popular in Rhode Island.

DePaul/Dave Lietao- 4 Cool, this is his second round with DePaul as the blue demons seem desperate to change their losing ways. While he is a new hire there is trepidation in this rehire. If he struggles there is already a group that will call for his head.

Agree disagree? Let me know what you think.

PS 3 head coaches named Chris, yup.
NJRedman

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: How Hot Are Our Coaches Seats?

Postby billyjack » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:48 am

The Big East is in a great spot as we continue to improve, and part of that is an excellent, stable group of coaches.

These guys, even with great success, pose no real threat of jumping to a different school:
Wright, JT3, Cooley, Mullin, McDermott and Leitao.
Each of these coaches is either at a blueblood (Wright, JT3), have returned home (Cooley (local kid who went to Stonehill), Mullin), or have/had pursued other opportunities in younger years and won't be lured away by shiny objects (McDermott, Leitao)

Mack's name surfaces each offseason when jobs openings come up (Wake, etc), but i still see him solidly with Xavier.
Holtmann i think would tend to jump for the right job.
Willard, if a miracle happens and he turns things around, i think he'd be a flight risk.
Wojo will be at Marquette for a while i think, until Coach K retires.

So, my Flight Risk numbers are:
(based on any of these guys making a Sweet 16 this year)
Mullin - 1.
JT3 - 1.
McDermott - 1.
Leitao - 1.
Cooley - 2.
Wright - 2.
Mack - 4.
Wojo - 4.
Willard - 7.
Holtmann - 8.
So i think at least 60% of them would stay, regardless of great success.

As far as Hot Seat numbers:
Mullin, Leitao, Holtmann, Mack, Wojo and Cooley - 1.
Wright, McDermott, JT3 - 2.
Willard - 10.
Overall, as a conference, we have probably the most stable group of coaches. This is huge for our continued success, especially having our bluebloods/ top teams stable. Huge.

I think McDermott is in a safe spot. A key consideration is that after CU's 0-8 start, including some totally demoralizing losses, he righted the ship, made some adjustments (more Groselle, less Artino), and the guys never lost focus. I mean, CU won at Cintas late last year, and played 500 ball over the second half. Plus his recruiting has been excellent.
Providence
billyjack

Postby Omaha1 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:28 am

I don't think McDermott's seat is even the least big warm. He has a good recrutiing class and will be given plenty of time to continuie transitioining from the Valley to the Big East. Plus, he's like best friends with the AD.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:33 am

NJRedman wrote:
Villanova/Jay Wright - 3 Cold, Wright has his team as the class of the league but I'm sure fans aren't happy with the quick exits from the NCAA tourney.

I’d give Jay Wright a ‘one’. Jay Wright in the National Media

If Jay Wright doesn’t retire from Villanova at a time of his choosing, it will be because Kentucky, Duke, or North Carolina offered him twice as much money as Villanova is willing to pay him. Jay Wright is a future Hall-of-Fame coach and Villanova will treat him accordingly.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby handdownmandown » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:17 am

McDermott proved last year he can coach; it's what kept us in games.

Plus, as stated, Bruce Rasmussen (our AD) is practically with the McDermotts.
handdownmandown

Postby ChestRockwell85 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:38 am

"Villanova/Jay Wright- 3 Cold, Wright has his team as the class of the league but I'm sure fans aren't happy with the quick exits from the NCAA tourney."

I think Villanova has beaten St. John's the last 14 out of 15 times we played. Jay Wright has brought in Omari Spellman and Jalen Brunson, both Top 20 / 5-star recruits over the last 2 years. Jalen was a burger boy and played on Team USA, Omari will probably be a McDonald's All-American as well. He got a transfer from the A-10 rookie of the year who put up some pretty nice numbers against St. John's as a freshman at Fordham. We have made the tournament 9 out of the last 10 years, which included a final four, elite 8s, sweet 16s, etc. We have RUN through the Big East the last 2 years, if it wasn't for Creighton in 2013-2014 beating us twice, our dominance over the Big East is almost laughable.

We have had a few early exits, there is no denying that, and Jay Wright is probably the most upset about it, but for somebody who roots for a school like St. John's, who has not won a tournament game in over 15 years, to give an unproven coach a higher grade than Jay Wright is ABSURD. I love St. John's, go to about 6 games a year, but some of your fans still think it is 1986. St. John's has got A LOT to prove and Mullin has brought in some nice pieces, but Rawle Alkins is not walking through that door. A .500 year this year would almost be good for St. John's.

I am sorry if this has come off as harsh, and I know Chris Mullin is a great guy, a tremendous basketball player, and a wonderful representative of St. John's, but before COACH Chris Mullin and St. John's are to be mentioned in the same sentence as Coach Jay Wright and Villanova, there is a ridiculous amount of work to be done.
1985 / 2016 / 2018 NATIONAL CHAMPS gtmoBlue is my homeboy
ChestRockwell85

Postby Red Rooster » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:08 am

ChestRockwell85 wrote:"Villanova/Jay Wright- 3 Cold, Wright has his team as the class of the league but I'm sure fans aren't happy with the quick exits from the NCAA tourney."

I think Villanova has beaten St. John's the last 14 out of 15 times we played. Jay Wright has brought in Omari Spellman and Jalen Brunson, both Top 20 / 5-star recruits over the last 2 years. Jalen was a burger boy and played on Team USA, Omari will probably be a McDonald's All-American as well. He got a transfer from the A-10 rookie of the year who put up some pretty nice numbers against St. John's as a freshman at Fordham. We have made the tournament 9 out of the last 10 years, which included a final four, elite 8s, sweet 16s, etc. We have RUN through the Big East the last 2 years, if it wasn't for Creighton in 2013-2014 beating us twice, our dominance over the Big East is almost laughable.

We have had a few early exits, there is no denying that, and Jay Wright is probably the most upset about it, but for somebody who roots for a school like St. John's, who has not won a tournament game in over 15 years, to give an unproven coach a higher grade than Jay Wright is ABSURD. I love St. John's, go to about 6 games a year, but some of your fans still think it is 1986. St. John's has got A LOT to prove and Mullin has brought in some nice pieces, but Rawle Alkins is not walking through that door. A .500 year this year would almost be good for St. John's.

I am sorry if this has come off as harsh, and I know Chris Mullin is a great guy, a tremendous basketball player, and a wonderful representative of St. John's, but before COACH Chris Mullin and St. John's are to be mentioned in the same sentence as Coach Jay Wright and Villanova, there is a ridiculous amount of work to be done.

There is nothing in the post that even comes close to stating that Mullin and St. John's are on the same level as Wright and Villanova. Nothing!
Red Rooster

Postby stever20 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:10 am

ChestRockwell85 wrote:"Villanova/Jay Wright- 3 Cold, Wright has his team as the class of the league but I'm sure fans aren't happy with the quick exits from the NCAA tourney."

In terms of job security- Mullin and Wright are on the same level. While yes the tourney stuff is troubling- he's in no danger.
stever20

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:34 am

I won't have the same passion as ChestR but as a long time Nova fan, I think I have a pretty good pulse on how we (alumns and fans) feel about our coach. I think if polled 98% would say that we wouldn't trade Jay for anyone. Not Coach K, not Calipari, not Ricky Pitino. Considering his age, his ability to recruit, his success on the floor as a coach, how seriously he promotes the idea of true student-athletes, his charisma as a spokesman for both Villanova University and the BE Conference, etc, etc etc. He is about as good as you can get and he wants to be at Nova. It's his dream job. He is not going anywhere and we don't want him to go anywhere.

JW sells this conference every chance he gets on the National stage. Talk all you want about early exits but he is one of 2 coaches in the league to make the FF and last time I checked no other nBE school played in MORE tourney games, or has had MORE tourney wins than JW and Villanova since inception. So judge disappointment all you will while enjoying the $ being brought in to your school's coffers via tourney credits earned.

I think your rating of 3 is based on the idea that he has not met expectations in the tourney. Should he be persecuted because he lost to a lower seed 2 years in a row (not to mention that one of those teams actually went on to win the NC) or applauded for being the lone BE school to be ranked in the Top 10 two years in a row and bringing the conference on a whole, a lot of relevance and credibility. We'll be fine long term in the tourney. I just want him to get us there every year, and he has shown that in spades. AS a Nova fan I'd say Jay is at about 0.5 on a scale to 1-10 IMO.

Gun to your head right now SJU fans. If you could trade Mullin for Wright, would you?
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Dew » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:02 pm

I think Willard is the only one right now.
Dew

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board