CBS Sports' Top Program in Each State

The home for Big East hoops

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:02 pm

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... each-state

CBS Sports' Top Program in Each State - September 16, 2015

District of Columbia: Georgetown Hoyas
Outlook: Our nation's capital is home to four Division I schools: Georgetown, George Washington, American and Howard. The Hoyas are the simple pick here, though it's fair to note that GW's been an undeniable improvement under Mike Lonergan in the past four seasons.

New Jersey: Seton Hall Pirates
Outlook: Going to be painfully blunt here: New Jersey and its college basketball situation is in much worse shape than it has any business being, especially given the talent the state produces. Seton Hall was our pick, and we made it with our eyes closed. Princeton isn't on the precipice of an Ivy overthrow; Rutgers is outclassed in a major way in Big Ten hoops; NJIT finally just joined a league; St. Peter's, Fairleigh Dickinson, Rider and Monmouth don't have the pedigree to be atop the Garden State pedestal. So we go with Seton Hall, which could realistically fire its head coach come March.

Pennsylvania: Villanova Wildcats
Outlook: In sum: Villanova has a better chance to succeed in the Big East than Pittsburgh does in the ACC and/or Temple does in the American. It's also feeling like Jay Wright is settled in for the long haul with the program. He is Villanova basketball now, and college hoops overall feels better when you see Nova doing well. Pennsylvania, though: A very good state for college hoops. It goes beyond the Big 5 in Philly. Robert Morris has ascended under Andy Toole, and Bucknell is almost always near the Patriot League's ceiling.

Rhode Island: Providence Friars
Outlook: Ed Cooley is commanding PC to a resurgence. Rhode Island has a very promising year ahead, but will Dan Hurley leave URI in the next one or two years for a bigger job? We think that's very possible, while Cooley's seemingly set in for many years ahead at PC. The Friars are the biggest program in the smallest state.

In the other states which host Big East teams, the Big Ten cleaned up, with Syracuse taking New York:

Illinois: Illinois Fighting Illinois

Indiana: Indiana Hoosiers

Nebraska: Nebraska Cornhuskers

New York: Syracuse Orange

Ohio: Ohio State Buckeyes

Wisconsin: Wisconsin Badgers
Fieldhouse Flyer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: CBS Sports' Top Program in Each State

Postby Xudash » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:44 pm

I find it stunning that he picks Ohio State over Xavier and UC in Ohio. Well, not really.

Otherwise, he seemed to think that Thad Matta will be around for a while.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby Jet915 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:47 pm

Nebraska being there is a joke but even the author admits it. He chose Creighton while the other 3 chose the Huskers. Don't really get that at all but I'll take owning them every year over this...
Jet915

Postby Omaha1 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:07 pm

Jet915 wrote:Nebraska being there is a joke but even the author admits it. He chose Creighton while the other 3 chose the Huskers. Don't really get that at all but I'll take owning them every year over this...

There literally isn't a single metric where any unbiased person in this state would pick Nebraska over Creighton.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby DudeAnon » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:36 am

Omaha1 wrote:
Jet915 wrote:Nebraska being there is a joke but even the author admits it. He chose Creighton while the other 3 chose the Huskers. Don't really get that at all but I'll take owning them every year over this...

There literally isn't a single metric where any unbiased person in this state would pick Nebraska over Creighton.

The article basically just chose Nebraska because they are in the B1G. Which hasn't prevenyed Creighton from dominating them before and now Creighton is in a much better conference. So yea, these writers are not...the best.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby billyjack » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:59 am

Good to see that he knew enough to pick UMass over BC.
Guy is nuts picking Nebraska.

Maine got the automatic win, beating out Div-3 Bowdoin, Husson and Maine Maritime.
Vermont also was an autopick, ahead of Div-2 Saint Michael's and Div-3 Middlebury...!
Providence
billyjack

Postby milksteak » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:28 am

Nebraska for the State of Nebraska is obviously a joke. No way their better than Creighton.

I have a problem with Texas over Baylor for the State of Texas. This is coming from a guy that detests Scott Drew.

I also don't like the Auburn pick for the State of Alabama. I'd pick the Crimson Tide.

You can also definitely make an argument for either Tennessee or Memphis over Vanderbilt in the State of Tennessee.

I think the rest of the list is fair.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby FormulaX » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:16 am

Tough pill for Xavier fans. But, Ohio state does get higher recruits. How does the writer not mention Butler in Indiana and as mentioned not Crieghton? OH Yeah!! He should pick the big schools. Why piss off millions of fans wearing red...
FormulaX

Return to Big East basketball message board