Your definition of team and conference tourney success

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Your definition of team and conference tourney success

Postby MUBoxer » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:41 am

gtmoBlue wrote:As a Creighton homer I expect to make the dance every year (even down years). That's the floor. The Jays have pulled conf tourney crowns as 2-4 seeds before. It's been decades since our last SS...but I am still keeper of the Grail (IJ and the Holy Grail). "choose wisely".
Some always ask - would you rather have sustained successes or Butler's btb FF's. Yesterday when I was young I always voted Sustained Success. I'm old n decrepit now - give me the 2 Final Fours (2 championship games). Some say it takes talent, great team play, and a little luck - I'll take it. I plan to witness 2 Creighton MBB NCAA Championships before I cash in my chips...hopefully sooner than later. C'mon Jays n Coach Mac!

Jays:
Disappointing-missing the NCAA any year
Normal-Sweet 16
Exceptional-Final 4, NCAA Championship

Big East Conference:
Disappointing-4 bids or less with no Sweet 16 teams
Normal 4-5 bids with at least 2 Sweet 16 teams, 1 Elite 8
Exceptional 5-6 bids with 2 teams in Final 4, Nat'l Champion

So wait if you are saying that your normal expectation is making the sweet 16 then doesn't that mean creightons disappointed you since the 70s?
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby milksteak » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:50 am

This thread is stupid. All we've learned is that everyone thinks their program is better than it actually is.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby bluejayfanatic » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:10 am

MUBoxer wrote:So wait if you are saying that your normal expectation is making the sweet 16 then doesn't that mean creightons disappointed you since the 70s?

Yes apparently gtmo has been disappointed in Creighton basketball since the 70s. I think a much more representative expectation of our fanbase would be disappointment in not making the NCAAs, normal being an NCAA bid, and exceptional being a deep run in the NCAAs (ex. S16).
bluejayfanatic

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:59 pm

Team (this year):
Disappointing: of course missing the tourney would be melt-down mode among the Nova fanbase
Normal expectations: BE champs; 2nd weekend in tourney
Exceptional : FF

Conf.:
Disappointing: less than 4 in the tourney; no 2nd weekend teams
Normal: At least 2 SW16 teams; 1 E8 team
Exceptional: a FF team
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby MUBoxer » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:47 pm

Realistically we can use the percentage of time each team advances in each tournament to determine what our expectations should be for example I'd expect Marq or Nova getting a sweet 16 over GTown but if GTown gets a sweet 16 I'd expect them over Marquette or Nova to make the Elite 8, FF, or Championship game.

36% Gtown advances to the second weekend, 81% of that they advance to the E8, 55% to FF, 80% chance they advance from there to the Championship game.

46% Nova advances to the second weekend, 75% of that E8, 33% of that FF, 25% of that to the Championship

52% Marquette advances to the second weekend, 44% to E8, 43% of that FF, 66% of that to the Championship

Just the three teams with the most NCAA data to go off of but you see my point. Of course you could argue that expectations change, like X now clearly should expect a Sweet 16, even though their all time percentage is low (28% to the S16) . I was just using the overall performance of a team to make it even. I'm sure I could do a since 2000 or something if anybody freaks out about their percenages after they calculate it.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:35 pm

I suppose disappointment is an individual thing. This thread seemingly was directed to individuals. I was not attempting to speak for the fanbase. I predict a SS annually, along with approx 23-27 w's, and either a conf or Conf tourney championship. Let's say that I have weathered a lot of let downs, as Creighton has made 19 total NCAA tourneys, 13 since the 70's, and 9 dances since 2000. The last 3 were the toughest.

If a team makes the dance fairly routinely, then merely getting there is no big deal. However, if a team makes the NCAAs regularly, then shouldn't expectations revolve around "making a run" once there?
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board