Big East still a major conference-ESPN love

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Big East still a major conference-ESPN love

Postby Burrito » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:50 am

I kind of wish Georgetown would just close it's football program. It plays in the Patriot League which is now offering scholarships. Since GU is refusing to offer scholarships, it's going to be a bottom feeder in that league. The on campus facilities are pretty bad. The administration doesn't seem to know what to do with the football program but keep it on life support.
Burrito

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Xudash » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:04 pm

Burrito wrote:I kind of wish Georgetown would just close it's football program. It plays in the Patriot League which is now offering scholarships. Since GU is refusing to offer scholarships, it's going to be a bottom feeder in that league. The on campus facilities are pretty bad. The administration doesn't seem to know what to do with the football program but keep it on life support.

Do you have any fan interest?

Does it make for fun (tailgating) experiences on Saturday's or is football on campus barely on the radar?
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby Burrito » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:40 pm

I never attended a game when I was a student there. And a few days ago one of their players suffered a serious neck injury in a game. That's not good.
Burrito

Postby Xudash » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:15 pm

Burrito wrote:I never attended a game when I was a student there. And a few days ago one of their players suffered a serious neck injury in a game. That's not good.

Prayers for the young man for a full recovery.

I would be all-in on non-scholly football if it RESULTED in weekends like you get at DIII schools that care about it:

- Nice little stadiums.

- 10k types of attendance (probably wishful thinking).

- Tailgate tradition that is a blast.

Otherwise, it's probably a drag on athletic resources.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby hoyahooligan » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:40 pm

Football is pretty self sustaining from donations from football alums so It'll keep going on as ism they're not going to let it get shut down. I think we spend something like 1 Million a year on Football so the second most after basketball. But not positive on that. It's fun for homecoming and there's good tailgaiting for that. But I don't think there's much tailgaiting outside of that. I'm sure students pregame, but not a big tailgaiting culture. But I liked that football wasn't a big deal at Georgetown since I don't care about football.
hoyahooligan

Postby stever20 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:04 pm

to me, the tourney is the only place where the Big East needs to show that it's a major conference. Need to get some elite 8's at least. It's the only place where you can make the argument that it's not a major conference. FS1 is improving. Hopefully the ratings will improve for us as much as they have other places.

It's funny- as far as the AAC, it's like I said on the other board. The other schools probably should improve with all the extra tv coverage they are getting. But it's still got to happen. How often have we seen in sports something that seems like a lock, but really doesn't turn out to be the case? And I could argue that those schools are far as locks.
stever20

Postby stever20 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:07 pm

Burrito wrote:I kind of wish Georgetown would just close it's football program. It plays in the Patriot League which is now offering scholarships. Since GU is refusing to offer scholarships, it's going to be a bottom feeder in that league. The on campus facilities are pretty bad. The administration doesn't seem to know what to do with the football program but keep it on life support.

It'll be interesting to see if we remain in the Patriot or go to the Pioneer. Kind of think the Butler connection there may come into play.

football is such an afterthought. Don't even see highlights on the Saturday night coverage here in DC ever.
stever20

Postby marquette » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:34 pm

hoyahooligan wrote:Marquette I count Georgetown as sponsoring 25 sports not 22. Obviously not a big deal just fyi:
Basketball X2
Golf X2
Lacrosse X2
Rowing X2
Sailing X2
Soccer X2
Swimming & Diving X2
Tennis X2
Cross Country X2
Track & Field X2
Baseball
Softball
Football
Field Hockey
Volleyball

My bad. Wikipedia may not be the best source, but my only other option was to go to each school's website and count the sports. I was already in for 25 min/conference so I just went with wiki. It wouldn't make a whole lot of difference either way since our schools that play football don't fund it at the level of the P5 and the Title IX sports that go along with it are funded at a similar level.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby Burrito » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:46 pm

Stever, you really pissed off the AAC fans on the other board when you said the AAC was not a major conference. Why the change of heart? You've generally been pretty supportive of that conference? I think the top half is major but there is such a dropoff with the bottom half of the conference. ECU, Tulane, UCF, USF and Houston are really bad.
Burrito

Postby stever20 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:53 pm

Burrito wrote:Stever, you really pissed off the AAC fans on the other board when you said the AAC was not a major conference. Why the change of heart? You've generally been pretty supportive of that conference? I think the top half is major but there is such a dropoff with the bottom half of the conference. ECU, Tulane, UCF, USF and Houston are really bad.

I don't think they're as bad as folks here think they are by any stretch, but right now, they are a pretty clear cut 7-8th best conference. The question to me with the AAC is will Temple and Memphis be good enough to support UConn and Cincy, and what happens when Brown leaves SMU shortly. And will any of the other 5 that you mention come up?
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board