Big East still a major conference-ESPN love

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Big East still a major conference-ESPN love

Postby BEwannabe » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:54 am

make no mistake espn is in love with big schools period. Small sample size but the gushing and media attention they game Harbaugh in his Michigan opener was absolutely nauseating.
BEwannabe

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:23 am

interesting column:
http://johngasaway.com/2015/09/14/one-w ... onference/

A major conference: 1) tends to be comprised of teams with an average KenPom rating of .7000 or better; 2) averages at least four NCAA tournament wins per season; and 3) earns four seed points or more per tournament.

just going to his #2 point, which he didn't do the last 2 years...
2014- 2 wins
2015- 5 wins

so not quite 4 NCAA tourney wins, but it's trending up for sure.
stever20

Postby BEwannabe » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:04 pm

and while not completely related to the subject but even espn.com was a Harbaugh / Michigan love fest Saturday and the site difficult to manage to check scores around the USA. Pop ups, stories etc when I just wanted scores. Can anyone suggest a better site then espn? CBS sportline.com seemed similar, they know we're hitting their sites and really trying to monetize it but it's annoying as heck when you're looking for scores.
BEwannabe

Postby stever20 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:05 pm

BEwannabe wrote:and while not completely related to the subject but even espn.com was a Harbaugh / Michigan love fest Saturday and the site difficult to manage to check scores around the USA. Pop ups, stories etc when I just wanted scores. Can anyone suggest a better site then espn? CBS sportline.com seemed similar, they know we're hitting their sites and really trying to monetize it but it's annoying as heck when you're looking for scores.

Fox Sports actually has a really good scoreboard....
stever20

Postby Xudash » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:14 pm

He's rolling along and then manages to drive into the ditch with this excerpt:

UC has played consistently strong basketball spanning a quarter-century that’s seen the program cycle through the Metro, Great Midwest, Conference USA, the Big East, and now the American. Who needs snooty architecture? Cincinnati’s claim to fame is unceasing and unparalleled mobility and adaptability.

They missed the Tournament for 5 years from '06 to'10. Overall, UC's resume is commendable, but it is hardly "unceasing" and it certainly isn't "unparalleled" in the last quarter century.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby stever20 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:51 pm

Xudash wrote:He's rolling along and then manages to drive into the ditch with this excerpt:

UC has played consistently strong basketball spanning a quarter-century that’s seen the program cycle through the Metro, Great Midwest, Conference USA, the Big East, and now the American. Who needs snooty architecture? Cincinnati’s claim to fame is unceasing and unparalleled mobility and adaptability.

They missed the Tournament for 5 years from '06 to'10. Overall, UC's resume is commendable, but it is hardly "unceasing" and it certainly isn't "unparalleled" in the last quarter century.

I dunno. I mean, they have gone to the tourney in 19 of the last 25 years. Would venture a guess that is pretty high up in terms of tourney %. Just to put in perspective. UConn only to tourney 18 of the last 25 years.

And where I think I could say it's unparalleled is not many teams that have been close to as many as Cincy have been in anywhere near as many conferences as they have.
stever20

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:47 pm

I disagree, Dash. Cincinnati certainly has earned a lot of success and won a lot of games spanning numerous conference affiliations. Just because they had a tough transition to the old Big East, doesn't mean they didn't earn their spot as a top program. Whether it is in basketball or football, Cincinnati has demonstrated time and time again that they can win with the big boys and devote enough resources into the programs to remain successful.

In order to get out of the AAC, it is all up to Tommy Tuberville and football. If they can parlay one season of 10 wins (and/or a NY6 bowl game) they could get out from the G5. They've done it before with Brian Kelly (and Mark Dantonio and Butch Jones).
GoldenWarrior11

Postby Xudash » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:23 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:I disagree, Dash. Cincinnati certainly has earned a lot of success and won a lot of games spanning numerous conference affiliations. Just because they had a tough transition to the old Big East, doesn't mean they didn't earn their spot as a top program. Whether it is in basketball or football, Cincinnati has demonstrated time and time again that they can win with the big boys and devote enough resources into the programs to remain successful.

In order to get out of the AAC, it is all up to Tommy Tuberville and football. If they can parlay one season of 10 wins (and/or a NY6 bowl game) they could get out from the G5. They've done it before with Brian Kelly (and Mark Dantonio and Butch Jones).

Sir,

This is UC we're discussing here. If they had not had that drought and otherwise had 5 F4's in addition to the resume listed for them, I would still be looking for a reason for bashing them.

On that note, as we like to point out on XH, Little Micky Cronin is a Yellow Toothed Gnome.

Seriously, can they make it out of the AAC and into a P5 conference? Obviously, the only way that happens is for the cartel to allow for the continuation of 5 power conferences. If this football gig heads towards 4 x 16, they don't have a chance, because the club already is at 64 teams PLUS Notre Dame; someone actually gets tossed if they go in that direction.

The only way it probably happens beyond the 4 conference versus 5 conference issue is that the Big XII is forced internally or externally to make additions in order to get to a conference championship game. They've already established a precedent for believing they don't need one, notwithstanding how poorly that turned out for them last year. Beyond the championship game is the matter of whether adding to the Big XII becomes subtraction of television revenue per team by addition of teams to the conference, or whether additions to the conference actually result in accretive financial results. Can the revenue from a championship game plus two more teams make the conference whole from where it presently stands? Will they just do a championship game now with 10 teams, if allowed at some point?

UC as an addition? To be honest, I think Nippert Stadium makes for a great setting and I have to believe that its renovation has made it that much nicer. What I'll never understand is a CAPEX project that takes total seating to 40k. I get that most of the money went into premium seating facilities that will help pay for the renovation, but 40k capacity is 40k capacity and there is no way around the reaction that probably brings from the inner offices of Texas, OU, OSU (Cowboys), etc. Baylor in Waco is at 45k; expandable to 55k. TCU is at 45k as well. It just seems 40k is a tough selling point when it comes to the real death stars in the P5, including the one up the road from UC in Columbus that boasts a National Historic Landmark designation and intimate seating for 105+k.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby DudeAnon » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:36 pm

Seton Hall picks up 4 star recruit (2016) and likely gets another 4 star to come with him. Well done Willard. I really like the idea of our schools owning the local recruiting scene. Definitely for SJU and SH because there is so much local talent.

http://www.app.com/story/sports/college ... /72473092/
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board