BIGEAST schedule released

The home for Big East hoops

Re: BIGEAST schedule released

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:58 pm

BJack, you hit the nail on the head with Pitt and WVU (and Syr), etc. Each needs badly to be relevant in the North East, because both built their programs on recruiting in those areas. Syr is a national program with a HOF coach, so they could survive wherever they recruit. But look at Syr's roster over the past 20 years--it is absolutely packed with kids who live near all of those BE schools that he left behind.

I have said it before that the BB teams that left the BE would sorely miss playing in the DC to NYC corridor which I believe had been clearly the most furtile area in the country to recruit from (no need for us to relive that debate Stever as you were way off there as well).

Let me give you some #'s to back up my statements.

Syracuse:
1). BE--recruiting classes (2007 - 2012) : 14/21 recruits came from DC to NYC = 67%
2). ACC (2013 - 2015) : 4/9 = 44%

Pitt:
BE (2007 - 2012): 16/24 = 67%
ACC (2013-2015): 1/9 = 11%

WVU:
BE (2007 - 2011): 7/20 = 35%
B12 (2012 - 2015) : 3/16 = 18%

Each have fallen off significantly from where they were previously. In 2011 Pitt had the following conference mates in their primary recruiting area: G'town, Nova, SHU, Rutgers & SJU and the conference tourney at MSG. They could play as many as 10 games in that area in a given year (not counting any preseason NIT or post season NCAA/NIT games that may be played there as well), and could tell parents that they could see lots of their kids games. Now? Not so much. Stever, do you really think a single game vs. Davidson satisfies Jamie Dixon, or that fact is something that he is puffing his chest out about when sitting in a living room in the Bronx? Do you think that their 3 recruiting classes since they left the BE are ominously void of quality players from the areas that they used to feast on? Hmmm...

So when I say: "Screw Pitt." I mean it without reservation. What does SJU have to gain by playing them? They generate zero buzz and if anything Mullin would be contributing to Jamie Dixon coming into an area that they battle for same players. So yes, SJU should choose who they play in non-conference games carefully and should pick and choose which generate the most excitement for their program and potential recruits.

Lastly as someone who witnessed Pitt being as difficult as possible when conference realignment options began to surface, and who joined Rutgers (the shame of the BE conference when in it) as the two most vocal schools who blocked Villanova's possible move up to BE FB and then ran at the first dollar bill the ACC waived in front of their face. I wish that school's athletic programs nothing but misery. And I am so enjoying watching their BB program mirror what happened to BC. Quality when in the conference and trash now that they have left. Good riddance and F U a 2nd time Pitt.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:11 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:BJack, you hit the nail on the head with Pitt and WVU (and Syr), etc. Each needs badly to be relevant in the North East, because both built their programs on recruiting in those areas. Syr is a national program with a HOF coach, so they could survive wherever they recruit. But look at Syr's roster over the past 20 years--it is absolutely packed with kids who live near all of those BE schools that he left behind.

I have said it before that the BB teams that left the BE would sorely miss playing in the DC to NYC corridor which I believe had been clearly the most furtile area in the country to recruit from (no need for us to relive that debate Stever as you were way off there as well).

Let me give you some #'s to back up my statements.

Syracuse:
1). BE--recruiting classes (2007 - 2012) : 14/21 recruits came from DC to NYC = 67%
2). ACC (2013 - 2015) : 4/9 = 44%

Pitt:
BE (2007 - 2012): 16/24 = 67%
ACC (2013-2015): 1/9 = 11%

WVU:
BE (2007 - 2011): 7/20 = 35%
B12 (2012 - 2015) : 3/16 = 18%

Each have fallen off significantly from where they were previously. In 2011 Pitt had the following conference mates in their primary recruiting area: G'town, Nova, SHU, Rutgers & SJU and the conference tourney at MSG. They could play as many as 10 games in that area in a given year (not counting any preseason NIT or post season NCAA/NIT games that may be played there as well), and could tell parents that they could see lots of their kids games. Now? Not so much. Stever, do you really think a single game vs. Davidson satisfies Jamie Dixon, or that fact is something that he is puffing his chest out about when sitting in a living room in the Bronx? Do you think that their 3 recruiting classes since they left the BE are ominously void of quality players from the areas that they used to feast on? Hmmm...

So when I say: "Screw Pitt." I mean it without reservation. What does SJU have to gain by playing them? They generate zero buzz and if anything Mullin would be contributing to Jamie Dixon coming into an area that they battle for same players. So yes, SJU should choose who they play in non-conference games carefully and should pick and choose which generate the most excitement for their program and potential recruits.

Lastly as someone who witnessed Pitt being as difficult as possible when conference realignment options began to surface, and who joined Rutgers (the shame of the BE conference when in it) as the two most vocal schools who blocked Villanova's possible move up to BE FB and then ran at the first dollar bill the ACC waived in front of their face. I wish that school's athletic programs nothing but misery. And I am so enjoying watching their BB program mirror what happened to BC. Quality when in the conference and trash now that they have left. Good riddance and F U a 2nd time Pitt.

My point is simple though. Pitt, WVU, and Syracuse(along with UConn) are all still playing in NYC regularly with or w/o playing against St John's. St John's needs to make the OOC decisions without regard to that. They can't just think if we don't play them, they won't get to play in NYC, and more so MSG. That's just not realistic. How is St John's for instance not playing UConn helping St John's in the least? UConn will have had 5 games in the NYC area the last 3 years, none vs St Johns. Ollie can sell that they will play in NYC.

AS far as the game with Davidson, as long as it's a means of keeping a presence in NYC, I don't think it bothers him much at all. It's a game at MSG against an NCAA tourney team.
stever20

Postby stever20 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:53 pm

Also thinking about it, I think St John's controlled MSG quite a bit more 10-20 years ago than they do now. I think back 20 years ago, St John's could say we aren't playing you, and you would struggle to get to play a game in NYC. It's definitely a lot different now than back then.
stever20

Postby NJRedman » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:35 am

stever20 wrote:
billyjack wrote:Playing non-conference vs St John's at MSG offers the chance to play in January or February, against NYC's premier basketball school. This is what Duke sets up.

Pitt, on the other hand, is scheduled at MSG this year in December, against Davidson. Completely different situation. Minimum attention or traction.

Other non-BE schools not playing the Johnnies, but scheduled at MSG would be playing in November, in the Jimmy V or whatever. According to football fans, no one pays attention to college hoops in November or December.

Meanwhile, each of the 10 of us play *at least* 3 games in Metro NYC, all in Jan, Feb or March.

Pitt in December vs Davidson ---> no one cares.
Pitt in January vs Johnnies ---> people notice.
That's exactly why Coach K and Boeheim play SJU.[/quote

Except that St John's normally doesn't play OOC games in Jan. Last year vs Duke was the exception.

last 10 years here's St John's non Nov/Dec home OOC games
2015- Duke
2014- Dartmouth
2012- UCLA
2011- Duke
2009- Duke
2006- Duke

So Duke is thinking like that. But none of the others do.

And like this year... What is the difference in

UConn vs Maryland Dec 8
Syracuse @ St John's Dec 13
Duke vs Utah Dec 19
Pittsburgh vs Davidson Dec 20

How is Syracuse getting any extra benefit from playing St John's? If anything I'd rather have what UConn or Duke have in that it's not competing with the NFL.

Dude, you're just plain wrong. We've played Duke mostly in late Feb from 1999-now. We've only played them twice before New Years in that time frame. I don't know where you got your info but I literally just went through every schedule for the last 15 years because I remembered playing them late. Even this last year was in Jan and you're saying it wasn't. Basic research dude, same goes with UCLA, both games were played in Feb. Stop making things up.
NJRedman

Postby stever20 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:39 am

NJRedman wrote:
stever20 wrote:
billyjack wrote:Playing non-conference vs St John's at MSG offers the chance to play in January or February, against NYC's premier basketball school. This is what Duke sets up.

Pitt, on the other hand, is scheduled at MSG this year in December, against Davidson. Completely different situation. Minimum attention or traction.

Other non-BE schools not playing the Johnnies, but scheduled at MSG would be playing in November, in the Jimmy V or whatever. According to football fans, no one pays attention to college hoops in November or December.

Meanwhile, each of the 10 of us play *at least* 3 games in Metro NYC, all in Jan, Feb or March.

Pitt in December vs Davidson ---> no one cares.
Pitt in January vs Johnnies ---> people notice.
That's exactly why Coach K and Boeheim play SJU.[/quote

Except that St John's normally doesn't play OOC games in Jan. Last year vs Duke was the exception.

2015- Duke
2014- Dartmouth
2012- UCLA
2011- Duke
2009- Duke
2006- Duke

UConn vs Maryland Dec 8
Duke vs Utah Dec 19

How is Syracuse getting any extra benefit from playing St John's? If anything I'd rather have what UConn or Duke have in that it's not competing with the NFL.

Dude, you're just plain wrong. We've played Duke mostly in late Feb from 1999-now. We've only played them twice before New Years in that time frame. I don't know where you got your info but I literally just went through every schedule for the last 15 years because I remembered playing them late. Even this last year was in Jan and you're saying it wasn't. Basic research dude, same goes with UCLA, both games were played in Feb. Stop making things up.

reading comprehension is your friend...

my list was led off with this:

do you see the word non in there?
stever20

Postby DudeAnon » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:51 pm

New article up on ESPN (paywall) today:
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... all-season

None of our schedules are really highlighted but there is this nice snippet.

We've gone over every nonconference schedule for each team in all the top leagues (ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12, SEC, Big East) in addition to notable teams who hail from smaller leagues
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby stever20 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:17 pm

none of the top 10- Xavier and Georgetown in the next 10....

kind of surprised Marquette didn't get dinged...

and this:
On the whole, SEC teams play the toughest nonconference slate with the Big 12 a distant second. The Pac-12 was third, Big East fourth, ACC fifth, Big Ten sixth and the American was seventh.

what's interesting is that they have the AAC in the article fully- but not at the top in the top leagues sentence.
stever20

Postby FormulaX » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:56 pm

DudeAnon wrote:New article up on ESPN (paywall) today:
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... all-season

None of our schedules are really highlighted but there is this nice snippet.

We've gone over every nonconference schedule for each team in all the top leagues (ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12, SEC, Big East) in addition to notable teams who hail from smaller leagues

Are they approaching the end of the embargo?
FormulaX

Postby NJRedman » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:29 pm

stever20 wrote:
NJRedman wrote:
stever20 wrote:

2015- Duke
2014- Dartmouth
2012- UCLA
2011- Duke
2009- Duke
2006- Duke

UConn vs Maryland Dec 8
Duke vs Utah Dec 19

reading comprehension is your friend...

my list was led off with this:

do you see the word non in there?[/quote]

How about writing comprehension, you said "Except that St John's normally doesn't play OOC games in Jan. Last year vs Duke was the exception." You said last year was the exception and that we do t normally play OOC after Nov/Dec. but we do, we played Duke after New Years almost every except for 2 over the last 16 years.
NJRedman

Postby MUPanther » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:45 pm

Wojo was on Inside College Basketball on Sirius XM last night. Host, John Finestein said to Wojo, that he thinks MU has a tough schedule with Belmont, Iowa, LSU, NC State or ASU and at Wisconsin.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board