BIGEAST schedule released

The home for Big East hoops

Re: BIGEAST schedule released

Postby MUPanther » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:24 pm

Jet915 wrote:
Jet915 wrote:12 national Fox games and 2 CBS games are awesome for the conference.

Actually, it's 12 national Fox games and 3 CBS games as Georgetown @ UCONN will be on CBS on January 23rd.
True, but the Georgetown at Connecticut game goes as a American Athletic Conference TV rights game.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jet915 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:00 pm

MUPanther wrote:
Jet915 wrote:
Jet915 wrote:12 national Fox games and 2 CBS games are awesome for the conference.

Actually, it's 12 national Fox games and 3 CBS games as Georgetown @ UCONN will be on CBS on January 23rd.
True, but the Georgetown at Connecticut game goes as a American Athletic Conference TV rights game.

Agreed but its still a Big East team on national TV.
Jet915

Postby NJRedman » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:43 am

I'm still wondering where our OOC game against Duke went? I mean I highly doubt they agreed to a one game deal on the road against us.
NJRedman

Postby redmen9194 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:37 am

Duke actually owed us a home game from the original series which I assume was last season.
redmen9194

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:35 am

Duke seems willing to play as many games in NYC that they can. First it is the BB Mecca and it's a great experience for their kids; 2). he recruits heavily in NY and the Northeast so it's an opportunity for him to get recruits out to games, and 3). there are a lot of Duke alums in the area. I think games vs. SJU are great opportunities for many schools (UK, Syr, Pitt, Duke, L'ville, etc.) to be visible in an area of the country that is strategic to their BB success.

I would like to see SJU use it to their advantage ("come to SJU and play in the BE and against Duke, Syr, UK at the Garden") but not allow others to use it to their advantage ("sorry Pitt, screw you, we're not giving you an opportunity to play a game in a desired recruiting area..go call Fordham").
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby stever20 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:15 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:Duke seems willing to play as many games in NYC that they can. First it is the BB Mecca and it's a great experience for their kids; 2). he recruits heavily in NY and the Northeast so it's an opportunity for him to get recruits out to games, and 3). there are a lot of Duke alums in the area. I think games vs. SJU are great opportunities for many schools (UK, Syr, Pitt, Duke, L'ville, etc.) to be visible in an area of the country that is strategic to their BB success.

I would like to see SJU use it to their advantage ("come to SJU and play in the BE and against Duke, Syr, UK at the Garden") but not allow others to use it to their advantage ("sorry Pitt, screw you, we're not giving you an opportunity to play a game in a desired recruiting area..go call Fordham").

St John's can't do that though. Duke is playing 3 games there this year w/o playing St John's(exempt tourney plus neutral site game vs Utah). Pittsburgh is playing there this year w/o playing St John's. St John's can't control who gets to play in MSG. MSG controls that.
stever20

Postby Omaha1 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:53 pm

My only issue with the Creighton schedule is having our senior night the weekend before the season's end and then playing two road games the following week.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby stever20 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:54 pm

Also, UConn and WVU play at MSG with the Jimmy V Classic.

At times, I don't even think MSG really controls things. I mean take the Jimmy V classic. I am pretty sure that it's ESPN that determines who is playing in that, not MSG. Same with the Exempt tournaments. I'll say this- St John's definitely doesn't control who plays in MSG.
stever20

Postby NJRedman » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:46 pm

stever20 wrote:Also, UConn and WVU play at MSG with the Jimmy V Classic.

At times, I don't even think MSG really controls things. I mean take the Jimmy V classic. I am pretty sure that it's ESPN that determines who is playing in that, not MSG. Same with the Exempt tournaments. I'll say this- St John's definitely doesn't control who plays in MSG.

And neither does any other team, you have to be invited to those things and if you're not your best bet is signing a deal with SJU. You can't play in the same preseason tourney two seasons in a row. Pitt isn't going to play at MSG every year. Duke could probably pull it off but not many others can.

MSG and out location is a good draw when signing OOC deals. Just within the last 5 years we've had home and homes with programs like Duke,UCLA and Syracuse. Good teams will play us as means to play in NYC.
NJRedman

Postby stever20 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:16 pm

NJRedman wrote:
stever20 wrote:Also, UConn and WVU play at MSG with the Jimmy V Classic.

And neither does any other team, you have to be invited to those things and if you're not your best bet is signing a deal with SJU. You can't play in the same preseason tourney two seasons in a row. Pitt isn't going to play at MSG every year. Duke could probably pull it off but not many others can.

MSG and out location is a good draw when signing OOC deals. Just within the last 5 years we've had home and homes with programs like Duke,UCLA and Syracuse. Good teams will play us as means to play in NYC.

No problem with that- but St John's can't just say we are going to not play Syracuse, and Syracuse isn't going to be able to play at MSG. St John's doesn't hold as much leverage as what Gumby was saying. I mean, look at UConn. This is I think the 3rd straight year since leaving the Big East that they are playing at MSG, with no games vs St John's. And a HUGE part of that frankly is ESPN. Also with Barclay's Center around, NYC is far more open city than it's ever been.

These schools are going to get to play at MSG no matter what, so St John's can't just cut their nose off to spite their face.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board