officiating

The home for Big East hoops

officiating

Postby stever20 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:13 pm

interesting column on ESPN:
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... rvey-shows

coaches wanting to have a centralized officiating body rather than what it is today....

Also interesting to see that there are a number of coaches that do want to go to quarters, allow 6 fouls, and permit teams to advance ball to halfcourt end of game on timeouts.
stever20

officiating

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: officiating

Postby billyjack » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:32 pm

I don't understand the need to have quarters. Leave it as-is. What's the reasoning, so that they can re-set team fouls?

And 6 fouls is asinine. The Big East tried that in the late 80's early 90's, to keep our stars on the floor, and all it did was add more fouls and make the game more of a grind. Fouls are based on 1 foul every 8 minutes. NBA has 48 minutes, so 6 fouls. College has 40 minutes, so 5 fouls.
Providence
billyjack

Postby stever20 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:38 pm

billyjack wrote:I don't understand the need to have quarters. Leave it as-is. What's the reasoning, so that they can re-set team fouls?

And 6 fouls is asinine. The Big East tried that in the late 80's early 90's, to keep our stars on the floor, and all it did was add more fouls and make the game more of a grind. Fouls are based on 1 foul every 8 minutes. NBA has 48 minutes, so 6 fouls. College has 40 minutes, so 5 fouls.

I think part of the thing with quarters is that it speeds the game up a bit as it eliminates 2 TV timeouts. Instead of 16/12/8/4- so 4 timeouts, you have 5/quarter/5. So right there is about 5 minutes quicker. I think you're going to see the time difference between men's and women's games and be pretty surprised....

I think quarters will be here in 2 years almost certainly. Right now college basketball really only thing in the world, outside of some youth basketball, that isn't on quarters.

The fouls I think if it's nation wide would be a bit different than when we did it late 80's/early 90's. I think that one has less of a chance of going thru- but it wouldn't surprise me at all.
stever20

Postby stever20 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:41 pm

I think the centralized reffing would be huge as well. I think you would see a much better game quite frankly. Would see far better reffing on a consistent basis. Also gone would be the days of a guy reffing 6 or 7 straight days. That's huge.
stever20

Postby billyjack » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:16 pm

stever20 wrote:
billyjack wrote:I don't understand the need to have quarters. Leave it as-is. What's the reasoning, so that they can re-set team fouls?

I think part of the thing with quarters is that it speeds the game up a bit as it eliminates 2 TV timeouts. Instead of 16/12/8/4- so 4 timeouts, you have 5/quarter/5. So right there is about 5 minutes quicker. I think you're going to see the time difference between men's and women's games and be pretty surprised....

I think quarters will be here in 2 years almost certainly. Right now college basketball really only thing in the world, outside of some youth basketball, that isn't on quarters.

The fouls I think if it's nation wide would be a bit different than when we did it late 80's/early 90's. I think that one has less of a chance of going thru- but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Deleted my post, cuz I think I misinterpreted what stever was saying.
Providence
billyjack

Postby R Jay » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:59 pm

stever20 wrote:interesting column on ESPN:

coaches wanting to have a centralized officiating body rather than what it is today....

Also interesting to see that there are a number of coaches that do want to go to quarters, allow 6 fouls, and permit teams to advance ball to halfcourt end of game on timeouts.

I really hope to see all of these changes. Clearly the changes to Women's basketball is a test run for the men's game. If things go well (I expect they will), I see these changes coming to the men's game maybe in 2017 or 2018 (though I would love to see them next year).
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby stever20 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:22 pm

R Jay wrote:
stever20 wrote:interesting column on ESPN:

I really hope to see all of these changes. Clearly the changes to Women's basketball is a test run for the men's game. If things go well (I expect they will), I see these changes coming to the men's game maybe in 2017 or 2018 (though I would love to see them next year).

It would be 2017-18 season(they do these kind of changes every other year.

The only one I'm not sold on is the 6 fouls.
stever20

Postby DeltaV » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:39 pm

stever20 wrote:

What are the networks going to think about losing a TV timeout?
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby billyjack » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:15 am

So the quarters thing...
"It saves a tv timeout with the 15/quarter/5 timeout sequence".
Why doesn't the NCAA just switch tv timeouts to 15/10/5, and keep halves as-is?

What do quarters do to team fouls? Is the bonus going to change to the 4th foul per quarter? And it will re-set fouls every quarter? What's the point, except penalizing teams that play excellent consistent defense? It changes 100 years of strategy, and adds an extra "gimme foul" every 10 minutes, per team. No more 1-and-1's...? Ok... this is a good thing? Again, what is the freakin point to doing this, except "every other basketball league does it".

And the "timeout brings the ball to halfcourt late in game"...
Ok, just my opinion, but it's a stupid f*cking rule.
What possible reason could be given for this rule to make sense? A team just jumps 50 feet up court because of a late timeout? So a team scores in the last 10 seconds of a tight game, then its opponent calls time and is allowed to slice 50 feet off their final halfcourt play? This is dumb NBA stuff, searching for exciting plays...

Let's see, what other dumb-ass rule can the NCAA look to adopt...? How about the old NBA "3 shots to make 2" dumbass rule? Or a technical foul puts the ball at halfcourt late in game, like in the Garfield Heard 3OT game? The 6 foul rule was already in place, *in our conference*, we literally tested it out already, us, the Big East, and it sucked.

What else is possible?

Central NCAA ref pool? So that means the NCAA wants to push everyone towards the wimpy jumpshot ACC-no-defense-allowed-except-Pitino-and-Kryzyewski-coached-teams-can-piggyback-you-on-defense style. Yeesh.
Providence
billyjack

Postby stever20 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:56 am

The fouls on the women's side- they've gone to the quarters- is 5 and double bonus per quarter... no 1-1's.

I think the quarters is something that is coming. It's happened on the women's side, and it's going to happen on the men's side. Same with advancing the ball to half court on timeouts.

About the refs- I think it'd be a good thing to have 1 standard period. You can complain about the ACC style, but it's clear with rules changes that the NCAA has made that they do not want the Big East style of basketball around. And if they are going to call it close in the tournament, I want our teams playing the style that will be called in the Tournament, not big east style of basketball.

I'm sure folks complained 30 years ago about the crazy shot clock and the insane 3 point shot.
stever20

Return to Big East basketball message board