New 2016 ESPN Top 100 Rankings

The home for Big East hoops

Re: New 2016 ESPN Top 100 Rankings

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:00 am

Well then, Stever, that's a different argument entirely. Of course the AAC has more long term potential. They are in bigger markets and spend more on athletics. However, at present, due the number of NCAA bids as a reflection conference strength, the Atlantic 10 is better than the American. We cannot use hypothetical situations for the basis of how/why a conference is better.
GoldenWarrior11

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Westbrook#36 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:10 am

stever20 wrote:So quick question. What # conference do you think the AAC is? They are absolutely imo no lower than the #7 conference- behind only the P5 and the BE. Look at the recruiting and say with a straight face that the A10 is better than the AAC.

So what, you're now saying the BE is better than the AAC? When did this change of heart happen stever? Who cares what # conference they are, the AAC is behind the BE and shit rolls down hill. Look they have one really good program, then like 3 other alright programs with some serious warts, then the floor drops way, way off. Like I said, there's a reason that UConn and Cincy are looking for the nearest emergency escape hatch, and they may never find it. They're probably stuck where there at, so I get why they're bitter.
Westbrook#36

Postby DudeAnon » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:13 am

If only there was a Rating Percentage Index out there. Oh wait.

The past 2 years the A-10 has been better than the AAC.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... erence/rpi
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby stever20 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:25 am

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:Well then, Stever, that's a different argument entirely. Of course the AAC has more long term potential. They are in bigger markets and spend more on athletics. However, at present, due the number of NCAA bids as a reflection conference strength, the Atlantic 10 is better than the American. We cannot use hypothetical situations for the basis of how/why a conference is better.

I think AAC and A10 have both kind of separated from the rest. MVC and MWC aren't on their levels at all.

I mean look at MVC last year....
Wichita 28-4 #26
Northern Iowa 30-3 #20

and look at AAC last year
SMU 27-6 #21
Cincy 22-10 #29

So NI was 3 games better than SMU but only 1 spot higher. Wichita was 6 games better than Cincy and only 3 spots higher.

even throw in the A10
VCU 26-9 28
Dayton 25-8 46
Davidson 24-7 38

Let's say this- if SMU was 30-3 and Cincy was 28-4, they would have been a lot higher than 20 and 26.
stever20

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:22 am

AAC Tournament: Hartford, CT in front of hundreds.

Big East Tourney in the BB Mecca in front of tens of thousands.

Um, yeah. The American is right on our heels in terms of relevance. :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Bearcat_Bounce » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:39 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:AAC Tournament: Hartford, CT in front of hundreds.

Big East Tourney in the BB Mecca in front of tens of thousands.

Um, yeah. The American is right on our heels in terms of relevance. :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

5th place in the American Conference gets you this...

1st place in the Big East gets you this...

Despite a fast start, Villanova bounced by UConn

and this...

Bearcat_Bounce

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:04 pm

In 2015 the BE's 6th place team made the Sw16. In 2015 the entire AAC posted 1 tournament win and had all of 2 bids. And if you'd like to compare the tourney resume's of Cincy and Nova I'd be glad to oblige. In the past decade Cincy has won 4 tourney games. 4 total. Nova has won 12. We are the premier program in our city by far. Our conference mate, XU is the best program in Cincinnati and that isn't close either.

Stop with UCONN. That team was built while still part of the Big East. And to boot I will admit that UCONN is a fantastic program. I miss having them in the league.

But honestly Bounce...where were all the fans at the conference tourney last year? These are all big schools in the AAC. Not many direct flight into Hartford? Did you grab some of your fellow Bearcat fans and make the trip to beautiful and exciting Hartford with the other dozen or so people? What a disgrace. How do you possibly justify that picture? Hey look on the bright side, while we fans of the BE are suffering with our 6 bids and an electric conference tourney in the greatest city on the world you guys get the chance to move around to places like Tulsa and Greenville and maybe even the big city: Cincy! Wow that'll be neat-o huh?
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Bearcat_Bounce » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:28 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:In 2015 the BE's 6th place team made the Sw16. In 2015 the entire AAC posted 1 tournament win and had all of 2 bids. And if you'd like to compare the tourney resume's of Cincy and Nova I'd be glad to oblige. In the past decade Cincy has won 4 tourney games. 4 total. Nova has won 12. We are the premier program in our city by far. Our conference mate, XU is the best program in Cincinnati and that isn't close either.

Stop with UCONN. That team was built while still part of the Big East. And to boot I will admit that UCONN is a fantastic program. I miss having them in the league.

But honestly Bounce...where were all the fans at the conference tourney last year? These are all big schools in the AAC. Not many direct flight into Hartford? Did you grab some of your fellow Bearcat fans and make the trip to beautiful and exciting Hartford with the other dozen or so people? What a disgrace. How do you possibly justify that picture? Hey look on the bright side, while we fans of the BE are suffering with our 6 bids and an electric conference tourney in the greatest city on the world you guys get the chance to move around to places like Tulsa and Greenville and maybe even the big city: Cincy! Wow that'll be neat-o huh?

Villanova has won 2 NCAA tournament games the last two years as a #1 seed and a #2 seed. What an accomplishment! In the last 5 years (since you picked an arbitrary number), Villanova has won 2 tournament games!! Lasalle has won more tournament games in that same 5 year span. So, I'd argue that the Explorers are clearly the best program in Philadelphia at the moment.

The conference tournament was played in Hartford, CT. The game you took a picture of was between East Carolina (13-18) and UCF (12-17) at 3:30 PM on a Thursday. Would you travel 620 miles (for ECU) or 1,193 miles (for UCF) to watch that game?
Bearcat_Bounce

Postby Jet915 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:32 pm

Bearcat_Bounce wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:In 2015 the BE's 6th place team made the Sw16. In 2015 the entire AAC posted 1 tournament win and had all of 2 bids. And if you'd like to compare the tourney resume's of Cincy and Nova I'd be glad to oblige. In the past decade Cincy has won 4 tourney games. 4 total. Nova has won 12. We are the premier program in our city by far. Our conference mate, XU is the best program in Cincinnati and that isn't close either.

Villanova has won 2 NCAA tournament games the last two years as a #1 seed and a #2 seed. What an accomplishment! In the last 5 years (since you picked an arbitrary number), Villanova has won 2 tournament games!! That is the same number of tournament wins as Lasalle. Given they made the Sweet 16, I'd argue Lasalle is the best program in Philadelphia!!

The conference tournament was played in Hartford, CT. The game you took a picture of was between East Carolina (13-18) and UCF (12-17) at 3:30 PM on a Thursday. Would you travel 620 miles (for ECU) or 1,193 miles (for UCF) to watch that game?

That's kind of his point. No one other than UCONN and a couple other teams give a lick about basketball. Our play in Wednesday games still get 12,000+ fans. Your conference is a dumpster fire and everyone in it wants to flee at a moments invitation....
Jet915

Postby DudeAnon » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:53 pm

Take UCONN out of that conference and they are miserable. Besides, honestly, the numbers show the A-10 is better than the AAC so all these other subjective debates are pointless.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board