New 2016 ESPN Top 100 Rankings

The home for Big East hoops

Re: New 2016 ESPN Top 100 Rankings

Postby MUBoxer » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:14 am

stever20 wrote:
Burrito wrote:Memphis will give up on Pastner at some point.
And Larry Brown isn't getting any younger.

The AAC had a bad year last year winning only 6 of 29 games against the P5 but should be better this year.

I agree with you. The one thing though- Memphis getting rid of Pastner- they're still going to get really good recruits... Memphis has missed the tourney 2x since 2003, and only 11 times since 1982. I think a new coach at Memphis will get them back better than where they've been the last few years.

While Brown isn't getting younger, Sampson is starting to build up Houston- a program with a lot more history on it's side than SMU.

Yeah and I'm sure that Sampson isn't cheating at all. Come on Stever Sampson has left every program he's coached in shambles.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:42 am

MUBoxer wrote:
stever20 wrote:
Burrito wrote:Memphis will give up on Pastner at some point.
And Larry Brown isn't getting any younger.

The AAC had a bad year last year winning only 6 of 29 games against the P5 but should be better this year.

I agree with you. The one thing though- Memphis getting rid of Pastner- they're still going to get really good recruits... Memphis has missed the tourney 2x since 2003, and only 11 times since 1982. I think a new coach at Memphis will get them back better than where they've been the last few years.

While Brown isn't getting younger, Sampson is starting to build up Houston- a program with a lot more history on it's side than SMU.

Yeah and I'm sure that Sampson isn't cheating at all. Come on Stever Sampson has left every program he's coached in shambles.

the thing is, his normal shambles leaving a program would be a major upgrade over what Houston has been the last 20 years.
stever20

Postby Bearcat_Bounce » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:06 pm

Westbrook#36 wrote:If the AAC is such a good conference, then why are Cincy and UConn looking for the nearest emergency escape hatch? Oh, that's right because they both know the AAC is one steaming turd of a conference.

The Big East was the best conference, possibly of all time, and that didn't stop Louisville, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame and WVU from leaving...try again NCAA flame out boy...
Bearcat_Bounce

Postby BEX » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:23 pm

They were all football schools. Duh. Guess you didn't get the memo.

UC Biggest Loser:

http://www.cincinnativseveryone.com/fox ... o-kidding/

Get a grip;

'So cool that FOX pointed this out, really new thoughts and opinions on the matter. Absolutely riveting revelations that UC is the biggest loser in this. You didn’t have to tell any Bearcats fans that they were/are the biggest losers of conference realignment, we already know that."
BEX

Postby MUBoxer » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:02 pm

Bearcat_Bounce wrote:
Westbrook#36 wrote:If the AAC is such a good conference, then why are Cincy and UConn looking for the nearest emergency escape hatch? Oh, that's right because they both know the AAC is one steaming turd of a conference.

The Big East was the best conference, possibly of all time, and that didn't stop Louisville, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame and WVU from leaving...try again NCAA flame out boy...

Just ran out of recruiting arguments after it was laid out in front of you? orrr waiting to try to adjust all the stats to show you guys are somehow doing better?
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby Westbrook#36 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:58 pm

Bearcat_Bounce wrote:The Big East was the best conference, possibly of all time, and that didn't stop Louisville, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame and WVU from leaving

The old BE was possibly the greatest basketball conference of all time. It certainly wasn't anything more than a mid-major football conference. All those teams you mentioned, left chasing(and receiving) football money. Jealous????

Bearcat_Bounce wrote:...try again NCAA flame out boy...

Funny coming from a fan of a team with one, count it, one S16 in the last 15 or so years. You guys could write the standard operating procedure of crashing out by the 2nd round.

You, I, and everyone else here(except stever) knows what a dump hole of a conference the AAC is, so just crawl back to your AAC circle jerk board.
Westbrook#36

Postby handdownmandown » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:46 am

Ease up, I like bearcat bounce. His posts (and logic) provide for much unintended mirth.
handdownmandown

Postby stever20 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:01 am

Westbrook#36 wrote:
Bearcat_Bounce wrote:The Big East was the best conference, possibly of all time, and that didn't stop Louisville, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame and WVU from leaving

The old BE was possibly the greatest basketball conference of all time. It certainly wasn't anything more than a mid-major football conference. All those teams you mentioned, left chasing(and receiving) football money. Jealous????

Bearcat_Bounce wrote:...try again NCAA flame out boy...

Funny coming from a fan of a team with one, count it, one S16 in the last 15 or so years. You guys could write the standard operating procedure of crashing out by the 2nd round.

You, I, and everyone else here(except stever) knows what a dump hole of a conference the AAC is, so just crawl back to your AAC circle jerk board.

So quick question. What # conference do you think the AAC is? They are absolutely imo no lower than the #7 conference- behind only the P5 and the BE. Look at the recruiting and say with a straight face that the A10 is better than the AAC.
stever20

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:28 am

If the American is just behind the P5 and BE, then why don't they average more NCAA bids than the other G5 conferences? The Atlantic-10 averaged more bids in the NCAA Tournament (A-10 - 4.5 bids, American - 3 bids) than the AAC the past two years. Last year, the American had fewer bids than the Missouri Valley, the Atlantic-10 and the Mountain West conferences.

Look, no one is denying the history of such programs like Houston, Memphis, Tulsa or Temple in the AAC - but, if the AAC is such a good basketball conference, then why don't they get teams into the NCAA Tournament?

It is a similar argument to those that try and prop up the American Conference as a P5 football conference. "We have the markets, we spend the most money of the G5, we beat Baylor in the Fiesta Bowl a few years ago" yadda, yadda, yadda. If the American is on par with the P5, then why do American teams still lose, each year I might add, to Conference USA and FCS teams (UCF - one of the contenders for the conference championship just lost to FIU last night)?

To quote Bill Parcells, "You are what your record says you are."
GoldenWarrior11

Postby stever20 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:36 am

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:If the American is just behind the P5 and BE, then why don't they average more NCAA bids than the other G5 conferences? The Atlantic-10 averaged more bids in the NCAA Tournament (A-10 - 4.5 bids, American - 3 bids) than the AAC the past two years. Last year, the American had fewer bids than the Missouri Valley, the Atlantic-10 and the Mountain West conferences.

Look, no one is denying the history of such programs like Houston, Memphis, Tulsa or Temple in the AAC - but, if the AAC is such a good basketball conference, then why don't they get teams into the NCAA Tournament?

It is a similar argument to those that try and prop up the American Conference as a P5 football conference. "We have the markets, we spend the most money of the G5, we beat Baylor in the Fiesta Bowl a few years ago" yadda, yadda, yadda. If the American is on par with the P5, then why do American teams still lose, each year I might add, to Conference USA and FCS teams (UCF - one of the contenders for the conference championship just lost to FIU last night)?

To quote Bill Parcells, "You are what your record says you are."

I think a few things....
1- the AAC had the 1st team out both years. I know, still out- but that means they were right there. 1-2 games swings things quickly.
2- the MWC only got a 3rd team in(at the AAC expense) because Wyoming won the Conference tourney. The AAC and MVC had the same number of teams. MVC and MWC might only get 1 team in this year. And if UConn had beaten SMU last year in Conference tourney, AAC would have 3 in, A10 2.
3- I look more at long term. AAC is recruiting better than the A10, they are getting better transfers than the A10, and they are keeping coaches better than the A10. Eventually that's going to make huge difference. And MVC/MWC aren't really that close at all.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board