Brunson vs Dunn - who ya got?

The home for Big East hoops

Postby Dew » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:18 pm

Rave reviews are all we've seen for Brunson and their is talk of one and done potential. This might be the head to head matchup that I most look forward to seeing this season – five star point guard versus defending player of the year. Villanova will have the advantage of accessory pieces, but if Dunn can lead the Friars back to the NCAA tournament, he will probably win again. If you're buying stock in one guy, who ya got?
Dew

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Brunson vs Dunn - who ya got?

Postby stever20 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:22 pm

I'd say Brunson just because he does have more pieces. Dunn and PC are going to have a real uphill battle to make the tourney. Dunn is going to see all sorts of junk defenses with the primary job of shutting him down. Brunson won't be seeing that at all pretty much ever.
stever20

Postby xufan02 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:53 pm

As a fan I love watching Kris Dunn. Brunson will have the ball in his hands a lot, but so will Arch. Also, Brunson doesn't need to show up and score 20 a night for Nova to win; he needs to run the show get Arch, Daniel, and Hart the ball in spots to score. Dunn will likely guard the opposing teams best guard and he will need to score in the high teens each night for Providence to win against good competition.
xufan02

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:38 pm

XUFan's post is dead on.

As a Nova fan if the question was who you'd want leading your team this year, I'd say Dunn. Kid is tall, quick, smooth, great vision, can disrupt people defensively, can rebound. I think Brunson is going to be exceptional offensively but in no way do I expect him (or does Nova need) to do all of the things that Dunn can do.
Rebounding ---> Dunn (by a lot)
Defense------>Dunn (by a lot)
Only advantage I can see from Brunson is maybe shooting and that absolute killer/assassin mentality. His biggest attribute might be that he does everything/anything to win. If he needs to distribute, he does. If he needs to put up 30, he will. From what I've seen and read he is a throwback guard who just consistently makes plays and wears you out over the course of a game. BB IQ is off the charts. Very excited to see him play; expect him to join Arch as a nemesis type of player (opposing teams hate but would love if on their team).

Defensively expect to see Josh Hart or Arch or Booth trying to guard him and Brunson to guard the 2G.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby BEX » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:23 pm

I agree. Dunn is a known commodity. Skilled in every facet of the game. 5 star's have pretty much only seen ole defenses until now, plus they all have to learn how to play defense. Brunson will definitely be high on the scorer's sheet tho.
BEX

Postby Xudash » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:08 pm

Just too hard to pick between them.

But pick I must: Dunn, he's "earned" it. I can't wait to watch them both - except for when they both suffer severe head colds on the nights their respective teams play Xavier.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby stever20 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:08 pm

For those that think that Dunn is a likely top lottery pick, the ESPN Mock draft that came out today shows something-
Dunn at #13.... and in the comments section:
The Pacers have several combo guards --� George Hill, Rodney Stuckey and Joseph Young -- to run the point. But they've lacked a pure point guard for a while and Dunn seems like an obvious long-term fit. He's a terrific passer who also can break down the defense off the dribble and his ability to dominate the pick-and-roll makes him a very attractive prospect. even though he can be turnover-prone. If he were two years younger, he'd be five to 10 spots higher on this mock.

His age is going to be a detriment in the draft game.

as far as the rest of the Big East-
Ellensen going #9 to Portland
Brunson going #28 to San Antonio

I don't know if Brunson was projected that low that he would go. But I think if he could get that up into the mid teen's he would have a very tough decision to stick around.
stever20

Postby Hoya33 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:33 pm

Kris Dunn will be the first point guard taken and a top five pick. A mock draft in August means as much as my prediction...nothing. The logic is you pass on a perennial all- star point guard because he is two years closer to his athletic prime (28-32). I do not think that will happen.

I pick Dunn over Brunson, DSR over Brunson, and probably Whitehead over Brunson.
Hoya33

Postby stever20 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:58 pm

Hoya33 wrote:Kris Dunn will be the first point guard taken and a top five pick. A mock draft in August means as much as my prediction...nothing. The logic is you pass on a perennial all- star point guard because he is two years closer to his athletic prime (28-32). I do not think that will happen.

I pick Dunn over Brunson, DSR over Brunson, and probably Whitehead over Brunson.

NBA teams pick on potential more than anything else. That's how the NBA has become. It's not necessarily smart- but it is what it is. Look at the NBA draft this year. 10 freshmen in the top 17 picks. 2 sophomores, 1 junior(Cauley-Stein), and 1 senior(Kaminsky). 3 international guys who are the equiv of freshmen. So 15 of the top 17 picks were Frosh or Soph. So the numbers don't back up your thinking at all.

Even if you take it to the entire first round- 22/30 were Frosh/Soph. That's 3/4 of the picks. 17 freshmen to only 4 seniors. not a great ratio at all for older guys.
stever20

Postby stever20 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:35 pm

since the 1st year of the one and done rule.... started with the 2006 draft...
top 10 picks....
2006 draft- so this draft was the weakest one- 1 jr 3 sr
2007- 4 jr 0 sr
2008- 1 jr
2009- 3 jr
2010- 3 jr
2011- 1 jr 1 sr
2012- 1 jr 1 sr
2013- 1 jr 1 sr
2014- 1 jr
2015- 1 jr 1 sr

so last 5 years had 5 jr and 4 sr total. compared to the 1st 5 years of the rule with 12 jr and 3 sr

So underclassmen just haven't gotten drafted like you are saying Hoya33. Gone from 3 per year down to not even 2 per year.
stever20

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board