Brunson vs Dunn - who ya got?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Brunson vs Dunn - who ya got?

Postby Chalmers0 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:00 pm

I always love vague message board questions so that everyone can twist around what they interpret the question as and make their arguments.

For example, the OP said "who do you buy stock in." Well, I'd buy stock in Brunson because he's younger and probably has a higher ceiling. As Stever has already pointed out, it's really tough to be a top 5 draft pick without coming out after a year or two. That being said, you change the question to who do you want to lead your NCAA team this year or even who has a better season this year I take Dunn without blinking.
Chalmers0

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:35 pm

Being a 1st team all-American doesn't equate with draft position. Heck- player of the year doesn't equate.....
McDermott 11th
Kaminsky 9th
stever20

Postby stever20 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:24 pm

I feel like the money quote on Dunn is this from Parrish:
Simply put, Dunn will have statistics worthy of all awards. The only question is whether his team will be good enough to keep him on everybody's radar. As always, we'll see.
stever20

Postby Jet915 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:25 am

stever20 wrote:I feel like the money quote on Dunn is this from Parrish:
Simply put, Dunn will have statistics worthy of all awards. The only question is whether his team will be good enough to keep him on everybody's radar. As always, we'll see.

Which makes Chukwu leaving so puzzling. He would have been a starter having the best pg in the nation feeding u and having dozens of nba scouts there. Instead, u have to sit out a year at Syracuse and when u can play, Boeheim will be out the door. Very idiotic.
Jet915

Postby yaboynyp » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:23 pm

Not sure this is a serious question but if it is.... Dunn by a mile....

No idea how people think Brunson has a higher ceiling than Dunn as well . I know he's younger but Dunn is bigger stronger and has better physical attributes. The only thing Brunson does better than Dunn is shoot and he isn't in the same stratosphere athletically. Brunson is nice but Dunn is elite
yaboynyp

Postby hortle » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:13 am

yaboynyp wrote:Not sure this is a serious question but if it is.... Dunn by a mile....

No idea how people think Brunson has a higher ceiling than Dunn as well . I know he's younger but Dunn is bigger stronger and has better physical attributes. The only thing Brunson does better than Dunn is shoot and he isn't in the same stratosphere athletically. Brunson is nice but Dunn is elite

I would disagree with your bolded statement. I saw Brunson play at a holiday tournament 90 minutes south of Chicago his senior season and the dude clearly has NBA level quickness and athleticism. Just in terms of his first step and ability to create space with his body, he reminds me physically of a Monta Ellis, maybe not as explosive but obviously a NBA level athlete in person.

Dunn is long and quick too, but not nearly as thick as Brunson so that hinders his ability to drive. Also I would say Brunson has more explosive ability. At this juncture I would argue Dunn is more offensively gifted than Brunson and is likely the better 15-16 college player, but Brunson has a great base to grow off of, and could end up the better of the two at the end of the day
hortle

Postby ChelseaFriar » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:07 am

stever20 wrote:Being a 1st team all-American doesn't equate with draft position. Heck- player of the year doesn't equate.....
McDermott 11th
Kaminsky 9th

Being a great college player can be completely different than being an NBA prospect.

Ryan Gomes was a First Team AP All American at PC as a junior. Being one of the 5 best college players in the nation didn't guarantee him being a first round pick so he came back. He was a 2nd Round NBA draft pick after his senior season.

The reality is, the guys who are lottery locks leave after their freshman year. If they stayed, they would likely be lottery picks each year for the next 3 years if they stayed in college unless flaws in their development get exposed.

Good example is Andre Drummond. Averaged 10 and 7 as a freshman. Good year but not AA worthy. Entered draft and was selected 9th overall. Pretty sure he would have been a Top 10 pick after his sophomore, junior and senior years if he had elected to continue to play college ball. But he, like most lottery locks, left.
ChelseaFriar

Postby stever20 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:11 pm

ChelseaFriar wrote:
stever20 wrote:Being a 1st team all-American doesn't equate with draft position. Heck- player of the year doesn't equate.....
McDermott 11th
Kaminsky 9th

Being a great college player can be completely different than being an NBA prospect.

Ryan Gomes was a First Team AP All American at PC as a junior. Being one of the 5 best college players in the nation didn't guarantee him being a first round pick so he came back. He was a 2nd Round NBA draft pick after his senior season.

The reality is, the guys who are lottery locks leave after their freshman year. If they stayed, they would likely be lottery picks each year for the next 3 years if they stayed in college unless flaws in their development get exposed.

Good example is Andre Drummond. Averaged 10 and 7 as a freshman. Good year but not AA worthy. Entered draft and was selected 9th overall. Pretty sure he would have been a Top 10 pick after his sophomore, junior and senior years if he had elected to continue to play college ball. But he, like most lottery locks, left.

Sorry, but it's not a lock at all that Drummond would have been a top 10 pick after more years. The NBA draft is almost entirely on potential, not how good you are now. That's the thing that some folks here totally fail to realize.

And I give you James Michael McAdoo. If he had left after his frosh season, he was projected by many to be a lottery pick. He left after his junior season- and was undrafted. The fact is flaws in development do get exposed.

My point on Dunn is pretty simple. He might be able to upgrade his position a bit- but it would take not only him having an unreal season, but also a lot of the super frosh having just dreadful seasons for Dunn to move up into the top 5 of the draft. That's just the reality of 2016 NBA basketball.
stever20

Postby FriarJ » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:33 pm

hortle wrote:
yaboynyp wrote:Not sure this is a serious question but if it is.... Dunn by a mile....

I would disagree with your bolded statement. I saw Brunson play at a holiday tournament 90 minutes south of Chicago his senior season and the dude clearly has NBA level quickness and athleticism. Just in terms of his first step and ability to create space with his body, he reminds me physically of a Monta Ellis, maybe not as explosive but obviously a NBA level athlete in person.

Dunn is long and quick too, but not nearly as thick as Brunson so that hinders his ability to drive. Also I would say Brunson has more explosive ability. At this juncture I would argue Dunn is more offensively gifted than Brunson and is likely the better 15-16 college player, but Brunson has a great base to grow off of, and could end up the better of the two at the end of the day

If Brunson has more explosive ability than Dunn then Nova really has a superstar on their hands. it's generally recognized that Dunn is the most explosive guard in the NCAA currently, his 1st step is lightning quick.
FriarJ

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board