Brunson vs Dunn - who ya got?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Brunson vs Dunn - who ya got?

Postby Hoya33 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:02 pm

Stever20,

I say Kris Dunn will be a top 10 ( actually I think he will at least be top 5) pick. You say he will not be one. In June one of us will be right and one of us will be wrong. Done.
Hoya33

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:07 pm

Hoya33 wrote:Stever20,

I say Kris Dunn will be a top 10 ( actually I think he will at least be top 5) pick. You say he will not be one. In June one of us will be right and one of us will be wrong. Done.

true. Just recent history indicates that he won't go as high as if he was younger. That's just the way the NBA operates now.
stever20

Postby FriarJ » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:20 pm

In the league's 3rd year we will have had 2 national Players of the year in a 3 year time frame. That is how amazing I think Dunn's season will be. He has been working extremely hard with God Shamgod this off season and I honestly think he will be unstoppable getting to the basket. I expect his mid-range game to be a marvel as well.
FriarJ

Postby stever20 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:40 pm

FriarJ wrote:In the league's 3rd year we will have had 2 national Players of the year in a 3 year time frame. That is how amazing I think Dunn's season will be. He has been working extremely hard with God Shamgod this off season and I honestly think he will be unstoppable getting to the basket. I expect his mid-range game to be a marvel as well.

Only problem with that is I think opponents are going to be packing in zones big time this year on you- making it much harder to drive to the basket than it could be. he's going to have to beat 2 and 3 people every single possession and also guard the best guard on the other side. He doesn't have the complimentary pieces Dougie McBuckets had. Teams are going to be with PC- we're not going to let Dunn beat us- we'll let anyone else beat us.
stever20

Postby Jet915 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:23 pm

FriarJ wrote:In the league's 3rd year we will have had 2 national Players of the year in a 3 year time frame. That is how amazing I think Dunn's season will be. He has been working extremely hard with God Shamgod this off season and I honestly think he will be unstoppable getting to the basket. I expect his mid-range game to be a marvel as well.

Hope so cause other than Bentil, not much of a supporting cast imo.
Jet915

Postby Irishdawg » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:16 am

I think he'll be in the discussion early, but unless Providence is able to put together a great year as a team, he'll likely have to settle for being an All-American (which is hardly a bad thing). He's certainly likely to be the best player in the league, but as others have said, his supporting cast is what is going to make or break his year for individual accolades.

One guy I think could help keep teams from packing in on the Friars and Dunn is Ryan Fazekas. Don't think he'll be a starter, but he will provide some range for them, and at 6'8 shouldn't have many problems getting his shot off. He's a pretty skinny kid though, so getting him ready for the defensive end of the floor, at least this year, could be the challenge.
Irishdawg

Postby FriarJ » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:03 pm

PC's outside shooting was terrible last year. It is expected to be significantly improved this year. Dunn is going to do his thing, I doubt very seriously you are going to see teams that don't play zone just automatically switch to it to try and contain Dunn. This team is going to totally change how they play this year. Significantly faster, breaking at every opportunity. They will try and avoid too much of a half court game.
FriarJ

Postby billyjack » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:17 pm

FriarJ wrote:PC's outside shooting was terrible last year. It is expected to be significantly improved this year. Dunn is going to do his thing, I doubt very seriously you are going to see teams that don't play zone just automatically switch to it to try and contain Dunn. This team is going to totally change how they play this year. Significantly faster, breaking at every opportunity. They will try and avoid too much of a half court game.

I agree. The Friars actually have shooters this year, with Fazekas and especially Ricky Council and Jalen Lindsey. Last year we sucked from three. As a team we shot like 30% from deep. We are set to be much better against zones, which will open up lanes for National Player of the Year.

Also, Dunn has spent the offseason working out with the legendary God Shammgod. This is a case where Dunn will actually improve from last year.

Also, a wildcard unknown player is Rodney Bullock, 6'-7", a workhorse, rebounder, scorer, and serious physical presence.

I understand how people see Henton gone and assume the worst, but we have a lot of weapons.
Providence
billyjack

Postby stever20 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:21 pm

billyjack wrote:
FriarJ wrote:PC's outside shooting was terrible last year. It is expected to be significantly improved this year. Dunn is going to do his thing, I doubt very seriously you are going to see teams that don't play zone just automatically switch to it to try and contain Dunn. This team is going to totally change how they play this year. Significantly faster, breaking at every opportunity. They will try and avoid too much of a half court game.

I agree. The Friars actually have shooters this year, with Fazekas and especially Ricky Council and Jalen Lindsey. Last year we sucked from three. As a team we shot like 30% from deep. We are set to be much better against zones, which will open up lanes for National Player of the Year.

Also, Dunn has spent the offseason working out with the legendary God Shammgod. This is a case where Dunn will actually improve from last year.

Also, a wildcard unknown player is Rodney Bullock, 6'-7", a workhorse, rebounder, scorer, and serious physical presence.

I understand how people see Henton gone and assume the worst, but we have a lot of weapons.

Yeah I agree that Bullock is going to be a major x factor. How much rust is he going to have?

The key is going to be like you said the 3 point shooting. PC has to knock down open shots to avoid teams from packing it in.

The questions I have will be also on the other side. What is PC going to be able to do to slow down teams inside?
stever20

Postby FriarJ » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:33 am

stever20 wrote:
billyjack wrote:

Yeah I agree that Bullock is going to be a major x factor. How much rust is he going to have?

The key is going to be like you said the 3 point shooting. PC has to knock down open shots to avoid teams from packing it in.

The questions I have will be also on the other side. What is PC going to be able to do to slow down teams inside?

I think that is much more of a concern than the scoring. Also in regards to Dunn it was announced yesterday that the widely respected Blue Ribbon yearbook has Dunn as a 1st team all-american.
FriarJ

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board