Rumor - If Richmond is picked - Dayton/SLU to old big east

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Rumor - If Richmond is picked - Dayton/SLU to old big ea

Postby BillEsq » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:12 am

Flyer01 wrote:
Ball Turret Gunner wrote:Dayton will do well in or out of this conference. I hope it is in for the sake of a more entertaining home schedule.

I'm not sure I agree with you about that. Without the strength of a conference UD doesn't have the clout to schedule big enough games to make a difference. While the team will still be supported by the local fans the upside would be what they are looking at over the last 20 years. Decent teams with the chance to make a first round NCAA exit every 4 or 5 years if they are lucky. Dayton could be stuck in a pretty tough spot outside the new Big East.

An A10 without Xavier, Butler, SLU, Richmond, Temple, Charlotte, possibly UMass isn't much of a conference. It's a likely one bid conference.

A ten would still have LaSalle, St. Joes and either VCU/Richmond add dayton/stl to that and you still get 2 teams a year. Heck this year gives you 2-3. Granted not as strong as before but not a one bid by any stretch.
BillEsq

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby flyerlax06 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:59 pm

BillEsq wrote:
bostonfriar wrote:Regarding VCU, the Presidents of the 7 BB schools have set forth the criteria for schools they are looking to include. You can disagree with the criteria however VCU is not a match.

The criteria - as I can recall - is small, private colleges with emphasis on BB and who place education and respectful treatment of their athletes above the athletic aspect of those students.

So, VCU is neither private nor small.

Again, you can disagree but to be on"the list" of potential adds it would seem a school must pass this screening first. After that, Fox/TV/marketing are important - which means viewers per cable market and winning histiry and future propects...as far as anyone can tell the future. IMO someone could be added without a long history in BB if the other factors were strong.

While i understand that VCU has a larger student body than all the C7... no one would really consider GT, Depaul, St. Johns, Nova, Seton Hall, Providence, St. Louis , Xavier as small schools. As all these schools qualify as the primary (large) catholic school of large cities. Dayton and Creighton also appear to be in the larger category. Lets face it none of these schools are candidates for the MAAC nor NEC. That said VCU still does not fit the profile of the primary large private university of a tier 1 or tier 2 city.

And if you think Fox TV Marketing isn't number one your crazy... the C7 would not have left if they did not have a irrevocable offer from fox. Fox would not have given a irrevocable offer if they did not know the potential line up. They are not still negotiating schools. Fox isn't paying 300 million plus for 0 say. The facts are Fox and the C7 already have a deal. They just can't announce it as fox isn't official with their new sports programming. Fox does not want all eastern time zone schools. Fox also doesn't want all east coast schools. Fox has the PAC so it doesn't need west coast schools. No rational person would seriously believe that the C7 would have left the BE and Fox would have signed on to a deal if the schools to be added on weren't already basically set in stone. This isn't something that happened on a whim. Fox didn't just decide to start a new sports station. They have researched and they know what markets they want to attack. (Hint look for strong Fox regionals). This isn't something they are working on since December... you don't just jump into Billion dollar operations like that. Fox has been working on this for years. While you and i may not have been privy to it most of this stuff has been well locked up months ago. As i said before now we are just waiting until Fox makes its "official" announcement and the BE C7 separation dancing is done.

Providence has 4,000 students. That's pretty small. Also, while the city of Providence is the 3rd largest city in New England it only has a population around 200,000.

Providence College '10
flyerlax06

Postby BillEsq » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:08 pm

flyerlax06 wrote:
BillEsq wrote:
bostonfriar wrote:Regarding VCU, the Presidents of the 7 BB schools have set forth the criteria for schools they are looking to include. You can disagree with the criteria however VCU is not a match.

The criteria - as I can recall - is small, private colleges with emphasis on BB and who place education and respectful treatment of their athletes above the athletic aspect of those students.

So, VCU is neither private nor small.

Again, you can disagree but to be on"the list" of potential adds it would seem a school must pass this screening first. After that, Fox/TV/marketing are important - which means viewers per cable market and winning histiry and future propects...as far as anyone can tell the future. IMO someone could be added without a long history in BB if the other factors were strong.

While i understand that VCU has a larger student body than all the C7... no one would really consider GT, Depaul, St. Johns, Nova, Seton Hall, Providence, St. Louis , Xavier as small schools. As all these schools qualify as the primary (large) catholic school of large cities. Dayton and Creighton also appear to be in the larger category. Lets face it none of these schools are candidates for the MAAC nor NEC. That said VCU still does not fit the profile of the primary large private university of a tier 1 or tier 2 city.

And if you think Fox TV Marketing isn't number one your crazy... the C7 would not have left if they did not have a irrevocable offer from fox. Fox would not have given a irrevocable offer if they did not know the potential line up. They are not still negotiating schools. Fox isn't paying 300 million plus for 0 say. The facts are Fox and the C7 already have a deal. They just can't announce it as fox isn't official with their new sports programming. Fox does not want all eastern time zone schools. Fox also doesn't want all east coast schools. Fox has the PAC so it doesn't need west coast schools. No rational person would seriously believe that the C7 would have left the BE and Fox would have signed on to a deal if the schools to be added on weren't already basically set in stone. This isn't something that happened on a whim. Fox didn't just decide to start a new sports station. They have researched and they know what markets they want to attack. (Hint look for strong Fox regionals). This isn't something they are working on since December... you don't just jump into Billion dollar operations like that. Fox has been working on this for years. While you and i may not have been privy to it most of this stuff has been well locked up months ago. As i said before now we are just waiting until Fox makes its "official" announcement and the BE C7 separation dancing is done.

Providence has 4,000 students. That's pretty small. Also, while the city of Providence is the 3rd largest city in New England it only has a population around 200,000.

Providence is kind of an odd duck in the C7 - tier 2 city and less than half the size of the next smallest C7 university. but hell you guys are already on the inside looking out so Kudos to you for starting the whole Big East to begin with.
BillEsq

Postby Edrick » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:42 am

I've always figured Dayton would get left out. With Creighton included, that sort of implies St Louis.

All else considered, Richmond just makes more sense for that last spot.
Edrick

Postby BillEsq » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:03 am

Edrick wrote:I've always figured Dayton would get left out. With Creighton included, that sort of implies St Louis.

All else considered, Richmond just makes more sense for that last spot.

Yeah the whole 6 teams east 6 teams midwest does make sense and Richmond offers a lot of the non-revs. if that is the case its the Dayton v Creighton I would figure Dayton would have the best chance though as the travel v. Omaha is so much better. But hell as long as SLU is in i think both would be good fits.
BillEsq

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board