Rumor - If Richmond is picked - Dayton/SLU to old big east

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Rumor - If Richmond is picked - Dayton/SLU to old big ea

Postby Eight Legger » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:30 pm

podcast411 wrote:
pki1998 wrote:
podcast411 wrote:You do realize the Dayton Market and the Richmond Market are the exact same size - except Dayton dominates its market and Richmond splits it with VCU - so in reality - Dayton delivers a market twice the size of Richmond.

2010 Census Data
Richmond MSA - 1,258,251
Dayton MSA - 841,502

I don't really have a horse in the race when it comes to Dayton-Richmond. But I don't see how you claim that Dayton's Market is the same size as Richmond's when the Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSA) is 50% bigger than Dayton. As for fan following I can agree that UD completely owns the UD Market, not sure about the Richmond market but I am sure there is a significant split.

Personally I want a 10 team league or a 6 east coast teams, 6 MW teams split. On the East my preference would be St. Joseph's (never going to happen), VCU (not likely), Sienna (even less likely than VCU) and then Richmond. Assuming Xavier & Butler are in already, my preference for the west division would be Notre Dame (I have a better chance of becoming pope than ND joining for the long hall), St. Louis, Dayton, and then Creighton. No offense to the Creighton Fans I just want to keep the XU - UD rivarly in conference, and I love what St Louis has done in the last few years to become a strong team, plus the recuiting around St. Louis is pretty amazing.

You have to look at TV market (DMA) and not just in the city population that does not take into account sub-burbs. Richmond-Petersburg is the 57th place market - with 559,390 homes. Dayton is the 63rd market with 493,600 homes. This from 2012 Nilsen Data - which is all that counts.

Omaha by the way is 75th with 415,510 Homes.

St. Lou is 21st with 1,253,920 homes.

So if we ranked by TV Market delivered.

st. lou
Dayton
Creighton
Richmond (split its market with VCU)

Which may also be why the latest reports had St. lou and Dayton mentioned and not Richmond.

Uhhh...what? Richmond is the largest of those four markets behind St. Louis. That's what you would rank TV markets on – their size. You can't arbitrarily decide that we split a market with VCU and relegate us to the bottom. If you do that, then I'm going to say that Dayton splits its market with Wright State and therefore is even smaller.
Last edited by Eight Legger on Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
University of Richmond, Class of '98
Eight Legger

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby IbleedVCU » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:10 pm

You can't arbitrarily decide that we split a market with VCU and relegate us to the bottom.

Eight Legger you are hilarious. I would say he is giving you the benefit of the doubt for owning half of the Richmond market. If anyone else here lives in Richmond, you know that VCU dominates the market. It isn't even close. My name may make me sound bias but it ridiculous to say that U of R owns any of the market in Richmond.
IbleedVCU

Postby augkash » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:33 pm

Dayton belongs in the new big east.they have a great fan base and they are always rank in top 30 in attendance. Dayton has a great record vs BCS schools the last 7 years. they wouldnt let the league down. plus they have a great class coming in and they have some nice freshman on team this year
augkash

Postby Eight Legger » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:50 pm

We all know VCU has more fans in Richmond, because we can do math. Our school has 2,800 students, VCU has 32,000. Takes a real genius to figure that one out.

My point is that you cannot arbitrarily cut a "market" in half just because there are two teams in it. Dayton is not the only team in the Dayton market, yet we're supposed to believe 100% of all people who watch basketball there only watch Dayton? I imagine plenty of Ohio State grads live there, along with Ohio U, Xavier, Toledo, etc etc etc. The point is that a market is what it is. You can't try to demean a market the way this guy did.

Meanwhile, VCU is not in the running for the Big East, so it shouldn't matter to you anyway.
Eight Legger

Postby augkash » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:09 pm

Eight Legger wrote:We all know VCU has more fans in Richmond, because we can do math. Our school has 2,800 students, VCU has 32,000. Takes a real genius to figure that one out.

My point is that you cannot arbitrarily cut a "market" in half just because there are two teams in it. Dayton is not the only team in the Dayton market, yet we're supposed to believe 100% of all people who watch basketball there only watch Dayton? I imagine plenty of Ohio State grads live there, along with Ohio U, Xavier, Toledo, etc etc etc. The point is that a market is what it is. You can't try to demean a market the way this guy did.

Meanwhile, VCU is not in the running for the Big East, so it shouldn't matter to you anyway.

well they dont show wright st games on tv here in dayton and just about every dayton game is on and they still sell out
augkash

Postby IbleedVCU » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:32 pm

Takes a real genius to figure that one out.

Thank you for acknowledging that a VCU fan is a genius. I appreciate your kind and gracious words.
IbleedVCU

Postby podcast411 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:58 am

Eight Legger wrote:We all know VCU has more fans in Richmond, because we can do math. Our school has 2,800 students, VCU has 32,000. Takes a real genius to figure that one out.

I was not demeaning a market - I was just pointing out that when they look at markets they look to see if there are multiple teams competing for those viewers. If anything I was demeaning VCU's portion of the market. Reality is there is not much difference in the size of the TV markets for Dayton and Richmond in the eyes of advertisers. And YES you can absolutely cut a market in half or in thirds - actually you are supposed to. Fox TV has to present a realistic number of what they can deliver for each market when they bundle their Basketball package on Tuesday for the upfronts. If they go and over sell - and under deliver - the Ad buyers will be pissed. And as the other poster said - UD basketball is Dayton and Dayton is UD basketball. It is on TV all the time and they still fill more seats in the arena per game than Richmond and Butler combined per game. Heck tomorrow's womens game will get about as many in attendance as per what Richmond gets on average for its mens games - and that game will be on ESPN2.
podcast411

Postby buckswope » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:29 pm

podcast411 wrote:If Richmond is one of the 12 selected along with Creighton - that means either Dayton or SLU are left out. Just heard a rumor that from the meetings in Atlanta - they are looking at either Dayton or SLU to be a basketball / Olympic sports member. Seems to make sense for Dayton or SLU - as the remaining A-10 after Temple, Charlotte, X, Butler, Richmond, Dayton or SLU, and UMass all depart. The A-10's top four opponent for Dayton/SLU would be - VCU, St. Joe, Lasalle and St. Bonn. (ouch) vs UCONN, Temple, Cincy and Memphis. Dayton would bring the large fan base, Top 25 Womens Basketball / Volleyball. SLU would bring Top 25 Basketball, Soccer, Big Market and both have top notch facilities.

Looks like they would have Navy as a Football Member and Dayton / SLU providing Basketball / Olympic Sports.

Seems like either one would be a big step up for the Old Big east vs bringing in ECU's Basketball and for Both Dayton / SLU it is a much better choice than staying in the gutted A-10.

Downside for Dayton / SLU is both UCONN and Cincy WILL leave the Old Big East as soon as they get an invite.

But Rumor seems logical.

SLU isn't walking away from their NCAA credits for anything other than the new Big East.

In the event SLU doesn't make the cut at 12, they stick with VCU and the A10, collect their earned NCAA units, and work towards being team #13 or #14 in the next round of expansion.
buckswope

Postby Eight Legger » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:01 pm

podcast411 wrote:

I was not demeaning a market - I was just pointing out that when they look at markets they look to see if there are multiple teams competing for those viewers. If anything I was demeaning VCU's portion of the market. Reality is there is not much difference in the size of the TV markets for Dayton and Richmond in the eyes of advertisers. And YES you can absolutely cut a market in half or in thirds - actually you are supposed to. Fox TV has to present a realistic number of what they can deliver for each market when they bundle their Basketball package on Tuesday for the upfronts. If they go and over sell - and under deliver - the Ad buyers will be pissed. And as the other poster said - UD basketball is Dayton and Dayton is UD basketball. It is on TV all the time and they still fill more seats in the arena per game than Richmond and Butler combined per game. Heck tomorrow's womens game will get about as many in attendance as per what Richmond gets on average for its mens games - and that game will be on ESPN2.

Ok, so let's say Ohio State is ranked #1 and their game is on TV in Dayton at the same time a Dayton game is on, and the Flyers are 5-8 in the A-10. Are you telling me that 100% of people who watch basketball there are going to tune into the Dayton game? There is no overlap at all? I'm calling BS if so. And if not, then you need to reduce the percentage of the Dayton market that you are claiming the Flyers will deliver.

My point is that no one can deliver 100% of a market. In Richmond, we have people who went to UVA, Va Tech, UR, VCU, JMU, William and Mary, George Mason, Old Dominion, etc. Just as I would imagine in Dayton you have grads of OSU, Dayton, Wright State, Cincy, Xavier, Ohio U, etc. If you're going to divide our market in half, then you need to do the same for yours and every other market out there, because none are 100% controlled by one school.
Eight Legger

Postby Jet915 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:31 pm

Sorry, doesn't make sense. If they were going to take someone as a non-football member, VCU would seem like the logical choice. They have a good basketball program and "future" aspirations for football.
Jet915

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board