Rumor - If Richmond is picked - Dayton/SLU to old big east

The home for Big East hoops

Postby podcast411 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:25 pm

If Richmond is one of the 12 selected along with Creighton - that means either Dayton or SLU are left out. Just heard a rumor that from the meetings in Atlanta - they are looking at either Dayton or SLU to be a basketball / Olympic sports member. Seems to make sense for Dayton or SLU - as the remaining A-10 after Temple, Charlotte, X, Butler, Richmond, Dayton or SLU, and UMass all depart. The A-10's top four opponent for Dayton/SLU would be - VCU, St. Joe, Lasalle and St. Bonn. (ouch) vs UCONN, Temple, Cincy and Memphis. Dayton would bring the large fan base, Top 25 Womens Basketball / Volleyball. SLU would bring Top 25 Basketball, Soccer, Big Market and both have top notch facilities.

Looks like they would have Navy as a Football Member and Dayton / SLU providing Basketball / Olympic Sports.

Seems like either one would be a big step up for the Old Big east vs bringing in ECU's Basketball and for Both Dayton / SLU it is a much better choice than staying in the gutted A-10.

Downside for Dayton / SLU is both UCONN and Cincy WILL leave the Old Big East as soon as they get an invite.

But Rumor seems logical.
podcast411

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Rumor - If Richmond is picked - Dayton/SLU to old big ea

Postby Eight Legger » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:34 pm

I'd like to see all of us come aboard, but if that is not going to happen, my money is on Richmond and St. Louis. The St. Louis market is too valuable to be left out. The Dayton market is not valuable. Dayton has tremendous fan support, but that won't be the determining factor. St. Louis has become a stronger program in recent years and Dayton has underachieved. I'd be sweating if I were a Flyer fan.
University of Richmond, Class of '98
Eight Legger

Postby podcast411 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:42 pm

Eight Legger wrote:I'd like to see all of us come aboard, but if that is not going to happen, my money is on Richmond and St. Louis. The St. Louis market is too valuable to be left out. The Dayton market is not valuable. Dayton has tremendous fan support, but that won't be the determining factor. St. Louis has become a stronger program in recent years and Dayton has underachieved. I'd be sweating if I were a Flyer fan.

You do realize the Dayton Market and the Richmond Market are the exact same size - except Dayton dominates its market and Richmond splits it with VCU - so in reality - Dayton delivers a market twice the size of Richmond.
podcast411

Postby pki1998 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:06 pm

podcast411 wrote:You do realize the Dayton Market and the Richmond Market are the exact same size - except Dayton dominates its market and Richmond splits it with VCU - so in reality - Dayton delivers a market twice the size of Richmond.

2010 Census Data
Richmond MSA - 1,258,251
Dayton MSA - 841,502

I don't really have a horse in the race when it comes to Dayton-Richmond. But I don't see how you claim that Dayton's Market is the same size as Richmond's when the Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSA) is 50% bigger than Dayton. As for fan following I can agree that UD completely owns the UD Market, not sure about the Richmond market but I am sure there is a significant split.

Personally I want a 10 team league or a 6 east coast teams, 6 MW teams split. On the East my preference would be St. Joseph's (never going to happen), VCU (not likely), Sienna (even less likely than VCU) and then Richmond. Assuming Xavier & Butler are in already, my preference for the west division would be Notre Dame (I have a better chance of becoming pope than ND joining for the long hall), St. Louis, Dayton, and then Creighton. No offense to the Creighton Fans I just want to keep the XU - UD rivarly in conference, and I love what St Louis has done in the last few years to become a strong team, plus the recuiting around St. Louis is pretty amazing.
Xavier
pki1998

Postby podcast411 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:26 pm

pki1998 wrote:
podcast411 wrote:You do realize the Dayton Market and the Richmond Market are the exact same size - except Dayton dominates its market and Richmond splits it with VCU - so in reality - Dayton delivers a market twice the size of Richmond.

2010 Census Data
Richmond MSA - 1,258,251
Dayton MSA - 841,502

I don't really have a horse in the race when it comes to Dayton-Richmond. But I don't see how you claim that Dayton's Market is the same size as Richmond's when the Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSA) is 50% bigger than Dayton. As for fan following I can agree that UD completely owns the UD Market, not sure about the Richmond market but I am sure there is a significant split.

Personally I want a 10 team league or a 6 east coast teams, 6 MW teams split. On the East my preference would be St. Joseph's (never going to happen), VCU (not likely), Sienna (even less likely than VCU) and then Richmond. Assuming Xavier & Butler are in already, my preference for the west division would be Notre Dame (I have a better chance of becoming pope than ND joining for the long hall), St. Louis, Dayton, and then Creighton. No offense to the Creighton Fans I just want to keep the XU - UD rivarly in conference, and I love what St Louis has done in the last few years to become a strong team, plus the recuiting around St. Louis is pretty amazing.

You have to look at TV market (DMA) and not just in the city population that does not take into account sub-burbs. Richmond-Petersburg is the 57th place market - with 559,390 homes. Dayton is the 63rd market with 493,600 homes. This from 2012 Nilsen Data - which is all that counts.

Omaha by the way is 75th with 415,510 Homes.

St. Lou is 21st with 1,253,920 homes.

So if we ranked by TV Market delivered.

st. lou
Dayton
Creighton
Richmond (split its market with VCU)

Which may also be why the latest reports had St. lou and Dayton mentioned and not Richmond.
podcast411

Postby BillEsq » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:42 pm

podcast411 wrote:

Looks like they would have Navy as a Football Member and Dayton / SLU providing Basketball / Olympic Sports.

But Rumor seems logical.

Problem is rumor is Navy is already looking to get out. Navy- Army have a deal for showing their football on the CBS while not making quite as much as the new BEFBS deal its comparable plus gives them the advantage of scheduling their own opponent rather then be stuck playing ecu and three teams in texas. Remember Army and Navy FBS football is a prime recruiting tool playing multiple times in one state doesn't give them the advantage of spreading out. - Most likely rumor is Tulsa and Umass and ECU to BEFBS in all sports.
BillEsq

Postby BillEsq » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:47 pm

BillEsq wrote:
podcast411 wrote:

But Rumor seems logical.

Problem is rumor is Navy is already looking to get out. Navy- Army have a deal for showing their football on the CBS while not making quite as much as the new BEFBS deal its comparable plus gives them the advantage of scheduling their own opponent rather then be stuck playing ecu and three teams in texas. Remember Army and Navy FBS football is a prime recruiting tool playing multiple times in one state doesn't give them the advantage of spreading out. - Most likely rumor is Tulsa and Umass and ECU to BEFBS in all sports.

The other thing with Markets is you have to look at the Fox Regionals that the new Fox Sports stations will be paired with in order to increase costs to the markets. Fox Midwet (STL) has all of st louis, Most of Missouri, Southern Illinois, WKY, some of Indiana, some of Iowa and some of Ark. Fox OHIO has All of Ohio, Some of IND alot of KY some of WV some of Penn. Richmond i believe is COMCAST or NBC.... If richmond or VCU does get picked... expect a year of blackout games as Comcast says no to the higher rates for Spider Games... No way Ohio or STL gives up Cards, Blues, Reds, Indians, Blue Jackets... Trust me Dayton and X in ohio allows for Fox to put more pressure on the local providers.
BillEsq

Postby pki1998 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:24 pm

[quote="podcast411]
You have to look at TV market (DMA) and not just in the city population that does not take into account sub-burbs. Richmond-Petersburg is the 57th place market - with 559,390 homes. Dayton is the 63rd market with 493,600 homes. This from 2012 Nilsen Data - which is all that counts.

Omaha by the way is 75th with 415,510 Homes.

St. Lou is 21st with 1,253,920 homes.

So if we ranked by TV Market delivered.

st. lou
Dayton
Creighton
Richmond (split its market with VCU)

Which may also be why the latest reports had St. lou and Dayton mentioned and not Richmond.[/quote]

MSA contain not only the core city but the surronding areas or suburbs. Richmond clearly has 50% more people in their area than Dayton, so the DMA for Dayton probably contains a greater percentage of their MSA than Richmond does. But the decission will clearly be based on more than demographics and geography.
Xavier
pki1998

Postby podcast411 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:55 pm

pki1998 wrote:[quote="podcast411]

MSA contain not only the core city but the surronding areas or suburbs. Richmond clearly has 50% more people in their area than Dayton, so the DMA for Dayton probably contains a greater percentage of their MSA than Richmond does. But the decission will clearly be based on more than demographics and geography.[/quote]

http://www.nielsen.com/content/dam/corp ... 0Ranks.pdf

I work in the Advertising world - For TV all that maters is the numbers in the rankings from Nielsen. In that case there is very little difference between the TV Markets for Richmond and Dayton in size - except that Richmond splits their market best case 50/50 with VCU. Where as Dayton dominates their market with regards to College Hoops.
podcast411

Postby classof29 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:29 pm

My understanding was that Fox wanted to Big East footprint to match up as close as possible to the B1G conference so they could air games on the B1G network (although that network is fairly big nationwide).
Providence College
classof29

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board