New Year's Eve (eve) matchups

The home for Big East hoops

Postby Omaha1 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:37 am

Now that we know the first league games are going to be played January 30 instead on NYE, anyone with an idea of who will be home/away? Creighton plays at home on Monday night of Dec 28, so I expect we will be playing at home at Dec 30.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: New Year's Eve (eve) matchups

Postby stever20 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:01 am

just looking 1st 2 years...
Butler home/away
Creighton home/away
DePaul away/home
Georgetown home/away
Marquette away/away
Providence home/home
St Johns away/away
Seton Hall away/home
Villanova away/home
Xavier home/home

so you would kind of expect Providence and Xavier to open on the road, and Marquette to open at home.
stever20

Postby hoyahooligan » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:37 pm

Omaha1 wrote:Now that we know the first league games are going to be played January 30 instead on NYE, anyone with an idea of who will be home/away? Creighton plays at home on Monday night of Dec 28, so I expect we will be playing at home at Dec 30.

Who knows, but if they wanted the best bang for the buck they would go with these matchups with the rematch happening on the last day of the season:

Georgetown vs. Nova
Xavier vs. Butler
Marquette vs. Providence
Seton Hall vs. St. John's
Creighton vs. DePaul
hoyahooligan

Postby MUWarrior1090 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:27 pm

I believe Marquette opens at home this year. Previously could not open at home because of reoccurring arena conflict on New Year's Eve, but are now able to with the move to the 30th.
MUWarrior1090

Postby xavierfano8 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:48 pm

hoyahooligan wrote:
Omaha1 wrote:Now that we know the first league games are going to be played January 30 instead on NYE, anyone with an idea of who will be home/away? Creighton plays at home on Monday night of Dec 28, so I expect we will be playing at home at Dec 30.

Who knows, but if they wanted the best bang for the buck they would go with these matchups with the rematch happening on the last day of the season:

Georgetown vs. Nova
Xavier vs. Butler
Marquette vs. Providence
Seton Hall vs. St. John's
Creighton vs. DePaul

That's exactly how I would have it if I were picking the matchups.

Being as its a Wednesday and not a holiday for those with work are they still doing the noon-10 tip times? I would imagine attendance could be less than stellar for some of those early games.
Xavier University '12
xavierfano8

Postby stever20 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:40 am

Georgetown/Nova will never be a 1st game of the conference season game. Absolutely never. 1st games are decent ones, but not ones that are projected to be incredible games...

I mean, look at 1st 2 years and what we've had:
year 1-
St Johns/Xavier
Seton Hall/PC
DePaul/Georgetown
Villanova/Butler
Marquette/Creighton

only really the Marquette/Creighton one was supposed to be really all that good preseason.

year 2-
St John's/Seton Hall
Butler/Villanova
Marquette/DePaul
Creighton/Providence
Georgetown/Xavier

really only the Georgetown/Xavier one preseason was supposed to be really all that good.

I would say that's a pretty normal kind of situation and the kinds of games you will find for the 1st game of the season. not 3 of the best games of the season- that's for sure.
stever20

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:04 pm

Whether it was supposed to be or not the Nova-Butler game was essentially the two best teams in the conf last year on NYE. This conf is improving. Fewer and fewer cupcakes. Regardless of the exact maychups expect a couple games that will have end of season implications.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby stever20 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:58 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:Whether it was supposed to be or not the Nova-Butler game was essentially the two best teams in the conf last year on NYE. This conf is improving. Fewer and fewer cupcakes. Regardless of the exact maychups expect a couple games that will have end of season implications.

I have no problem with your 2nd statement, but they aren't going to go in and put what they expect to be top matchups 1st day of the season. Last year, really only Georgetown/Xavier could have been looked at as a great game before the season.

St John's preseason #4 vs Seton Hall #8
Butler #10 vs Villanova #1
Marquette #7 vs DePaul #9
Creighton #5 vs Providence #6
Georgetown #2 vs Xavier #3

So that's the kind of slate we should be expecting. If anything, with it not being a New Years Eve Marathon(and maybe not even a marathon at all)- the matchups might not even be that good..
stever20

Postby MUPanther » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:21 pm

MUWarrior1090 wrote:I believe Marquette opens at home this year. Previously could not open at home because of reoccurring arena conflict on New Year's Eve, but are now able to with the move to the 30th.

The Harlem Globetrotters are in the Bradley Center on NYE.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby stever20 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:33 pm

MUPanther wrote:
MUWarrior1090 wrote:I believe Marquette opens at home this year. Previously could not open at home because of reoccurring arena conflict on New Year's Eve, but are now able to with the move to the 30th.

The Harlem Globetrotters are in the Bradley Center on NYE.

don't think it's going to be on NYE any longer, so unless they're there on the 30th, no issue there at all.
stever20

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board