The All-Time BE Team (From 1st Team AA list)

The home for Big East hoops

Re: The All-Time BE Team (From 1st Team AA list)

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:43 am

DemonLS wrote:I would advise you to re-review your 1st Team and take a very good look at Mark Aguirre and Terry Cummings from DePaul....BOTH being on that first team. Look at both their college and pro career together. Hard to beat.

Youtube has several of their games.

And I watched almost all these players in-person while attending DePaul games over the last 47 years.

Great players for sure. That's why I included both on my 2nd team. Just didn't think they were better than either Mullin or Barnes. But it's a message board so everyone's opinion is just that.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby HoosierPal » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:09 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
DemonLS wrote:I would advise you to re-review your 1st Team and take a very good look at Mark Aguirre and Terry Cummings from DePaul....BOTH being on that first team. Look at both their college and pro career together. Hard to beat.

Youtube has several of their games.

And I watched almost all these players in-person while attending DePaul games over the last 47 years.

Great players for sure. That's why I included both on my 2nd team. Just didn't think they were better than either Mullin or Barnes. But it's a message board so everyone's opinion is just that.

Your list is fine. As you say, this is a message board and it's your opinion. I count, I think, 6 that never played in the Big East. Hard to put them on an All-Big East team if they didn't play in the Big East. Okafor and Allen were National POY's and certainly belong on this list.
HoosierPal

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:43 pm

My list, more accurately put, includes players from today's 10 schools from the past 50 years. As we know Dwayne Wadr didn't even play in the BE. So I didn't bother including anyone from UCONN, Cuse or anyone else who is currently not a BE member.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby MUBoxer » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:08 am

R Jay wrote:2014 was clearly a flop, but c'mon. In 2012 we were the 8 seed going up against the 1 seed North Carolina in the Round of 32 and in 2013 we were the 7 seed going up against the 2 seed Duke in the Round of 32. Both Carolina and Duke went to the Elite 8 after defeating us.

Ok so duke and UNC each only won one more game it's not like they were the champions that beat you. Regarding playing Duke I have little sympathy seeing as Duke the year before went down to Lehigh and the year after went down to Mercer.

UNC I'll be a bit more sympathetic but you'd expect McDermott to have some type of extra fire playing against Barnes.

Bottom line is in those three years he's one of the best college players in the country and didn't get you guys to advance. Wade single handily took out no1 Kentucky in 2003 (one of the better Kentucky teams all time). I get that mid major seeding sucks but you could say McDermott was a better college player than Curry with Davidson and Curry lead a much less talented team to the E8 over 7Zags, 2GTown, 3WI. Like I said I respect the heck out of Doug, and am rooting for him in the pros but anybody who should be on a first team list should have NCAA tournament results on their pedigree.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:03 am

If I were making up. Team, based just on my favorite players to watch from this list, it would be:

C - Patrick Ewing
F - Doug McDermott
F - Mark Aguirre
G - Chris Mullin
G - Ernie DiGregorio

6 - Randy Foye
7 - Scottie Reynolds
Bill Marsh

Postby HoosierPal » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:54 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:My list, more accurately put, includes players from today's 10 schools from the past 50 years. As we know Dwayne Wadr didn't even play in the BE. So I didn't bother including anyone from UCONN, Cuse or anyone else who is currently not a BE member.

Your 50 year criteria eliminates one of the best college players to ever grace the court, George Mikan. Mikan was the NCAA College Player of the Year twice in 1944 and 1945 and an All-American three times, leading DePaul to the NIT title in 1945, which was as prestigious as the NCAA tournament at the time. Mikan led the nation in scoring with 23.9 points per game in 1944–45 and 23.1 in 1945–46.
HoosierPal

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board