Summer Musings

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Summer Musings

Postby MUBoxer » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:36 pm

marquette wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:There are 4-5 of those and the next 25-30 are all battling it out for consistent relevancy. I put teams like Nova and G'town, maybe X (potentially Marq and Butler) in this mix. Always in or around the Top 25-30. Each conf has 3-4 of these programs.

Last year was our first year since 1998 that we were below .500. I seem to recall that during that stretch Nova went 15-16 and 13-19 in '02-'03 and '11-'12. Under your current coach. Georgetown went 13-14 in '03-'04, 16-15 in '08-'09, and 18-15 in '13-14. In '12-'13 Xavier went 17-14, 17-12 in '04-'05. We've also been to the elite 8 more recently than any of those programs.

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
And if Marq returns to where they were 4-5 years ago (which appears likely with Wojo) and X continues to be X there are 4 consistently good programs.

Or, you know, 3 years ago when we went to the elite 8.

Wait yeah good point, we've been just as successful all time as Nova or GTown no reason they can snub us for a couple of down years because they're hot right now. I feel they forget we're on their level (champions, ncaa tournament appearances, etc) because we did it outside the Big East.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Westbrook#36 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:37 pm

What goes around comes around. Yeah, us Nova fans remember those down years, all the fans from the top teams(most definitely including Marquette) giving us crap. Wasn't it you guys, just a couple of years ago when the new schools entered, proclaiming yourselves the big dog and dismissing Nova as an after thought? Yeah, thought so.
Westbrook#36

Postby marquette » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:29 pm

Westbrook#36 wrote:What goes around comes around. Yeah, us Nova fans remember those down years, all the fans from the top teams(most definitely including Marquette) giving us crap. Wasn't it you guys, just a couple of years ago when the new schools entered, proclaiming yourselves the big dog and dismissing Nova as an after thought? Yeah, thought so.

I'm not going to get into an argument over this. Suffice it to say that every program has down years, judging the state of a program by one or even two down years is not an intelligent way to view things, every BE team has some history to b proud of, good luck to everyone in the coming season.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby MUBoxer » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:49 pm

Westbrook#36 wrote:What goes around comes around. Yeah, us Nova fans remember those down years, all the fans from the top teams(most definitely including Marquette) giving us crap. Wasn't it you guys, just a couple of years ago when the new schools entered, proclaiming yourselves the big dog and dismissing Nova as an after thought? Yeah, thought so.

I can't speak for my other MU fans but I know I talked a lot of trash for the inaugural season before Vander left for the draft, Jameel Mckay transfered out, and Duane Wilson got injured his freshman year. That being said I always was very respectful to GTown and Nova's storied history of which we are on par with. Just want to remind that our conference boasts three national championships not just two, three teams with >30 ncaa tournament bids not just two. Perhaps we deserve a couple down years but give respect where it's due.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby aughnanure » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:10 pm

I remember that era, and I also remember lambasting people who so easily put Nova in the "down" or "if they could be good again" category. It had been really not that long since Nova was super good (they only missed one tourney, right?!) and I just put it on the natural cycle of successful programs and I got annoyed at people ripping on the new Big East by using Nova's (very slight) down time as evidence the conference is going to have issues.

We live in such a "what have you done for me lately" world. It's honestly amazing how people will paint your program positively or negatively because of one or two years.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes to make it possible”
aughnanure

Postby Westbrook#36 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:02 pm

Whoa, I'm not trying to start a pissing match. I meant that earlier post about Marquette's down years in a Costanza, "you can't break up with me I've got hand" sort of way, except replace break up with me, with talk shit about Nova.

Just giving you guys a hard time.
Westbrook#36

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:12 am

Boy you Marq fans are sensitive. Did you miss where I said I expected MU to soon be back to where they were a few years back? Did you miss the part where I said that I expected them to make the tourney 80%!of the time (just the same as Nova).
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby MUBoxer » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:42 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:Boy you Marq fans are sensitive. Did you miss where I said I expected MU to soon be back to where they were a few years back? Did you miss the part where I said that I expected them to make the tourney 80%!of the time (just the same as Nova).

I think we focused on the "potentially Marquette..." when you referred to teams always hovering around shy of the blue bloods. Definitely came off as we still have work to do to reach that level sice you put a team with your level of success in a category with a team that has 13 ncaa appearances and below a team with 25, and no final fours let alone championships. You'd feel slighted too.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:59 pm

MUBoxer wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:Boy you Marq fans are sensitive. Did you miss where I said I expected MU to soon be back to where they were a few years back? Did you miss the part where I said that I expected them to make the tourney 80%!of the time (just the same as Nova).

I think we focused on the "potentially Marquette..." when you referred to teams always hovering around shy of the blue bloods. Definitely came off as we still have work to do to reach that level sice you put a team with your level of success in a category with a team that has 13 ncaa appearances and below a team with 25, and no final fours let alone championships. You'd feel slighted too.

My bad...I should have said Marq "probably" or "most likely" will return to prominence. But as of right now Marq is not there.

Xavier has made 9 of the last 10 tournies.
Nova has made 10 of the last 11.
G'town has made 8 of last 10.
Butler 7 of 9
Marq had gone 8 straight but have missed the last 2--finishing last year in last place in the league.
Everyone else in the league has been a bit sketchy in consistency of appearances.

To your point Marq had been very relevant but has fallen on tough times the last 2 years. If I were to rank programs overall from top to bottom in the BE Marq would clearly be near the top. And as I mentioned I expect that Marq will soon return to the top part of the standings.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board