Best solution for student-athlete compensation?

The home for Big East hoops

What is the best solution?

Keep everything as-is damnit
20%
Unregulated Free Market (coaches already enjoy this system)
No votes
Stipends
70%
50/50 split. Players must be paid equally in total to their coaches pay.
10%

Total votes : 10

Re: Best solution for student-athlete compensation?

Postby robinreed » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:22 am

Eliminate divisions 1 and 2 and make everything division 3. No scholly, no stipend, no FCOA, nothing. Pay your way or don't go to college. In other words actual amateurism.

However we all know the P5 will not give up their 30 MM + TV money per year and we will not give up what Fox gives us either. That being the case make college much like MLB and have a minor league system. The only change being players must be enrolled in college and they have 5 years to complete their degree. Afterwards a small percentage will go to the NBA or international ball and the remainder can go to work like the rest of us. I see nothing wrong with giving them a salary and making basketball (or any other sport) a job. Just require them to be genuine college students and pass their courses as we were required to do when we attended our college.
robinreed

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby robinreed » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:40 pm

I should add to my previous post that the NLRB may well decide this for us at their autumn meeting when they decide if athletes at private schools are employees. If that is the ruling then our world changes either for the worse or better depending on your viewpoint.

Good thread Anon
robinreed

Postby DeltaV » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:44 pm

MUBoxer wrote:
ChicagoX wrote:At the very least, athletes should be able to profit off of their own names. This includes being allowed to be paid for autograph sessions and appearances, and receiving royalties on jersey sales. If you are a good enough athlete that people want you to make an appearance, pay you for an autograph, or buy your jersey, that should absolutely be allowed.

Beyond that, I'd like to see some kind of stipend for these players as well as the ability to hold side jobs to make some income. Some of these NCAA rules and regulations are just absurd.

That I'll agree with. Those players that are big enough to profit from their names should be able to do so. And certainly allow the side jobs again.

Allowing the players to profit off of their own names would also alleviate the 'Title IX' type concerns about having to pay everyone.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby robinreed » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:07 am

THE MONKEY IS OFF OUR BACK. The NLRB has voted against unions for private university sports. Now compensation if any will be entirely up to the NCAA except for the "autonomy" P5 who can pass their own rules. This NLRB ruling is the best of the available options, we should be appreciative.
robinreed

Postby DudeAnon » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:32 am

robinreed wrote:THE MONKEY IS OFF OUR BACK. The NLRB has voted against unions for private university sports. Now compensation if any will be entirely up to the NCAA except for the "autonomy" P5 who can pass their own rules. This NLRB ruling is the best of the available options, we should be appreciative.

I am sure the student-athletes may disagree.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby robinreed » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:28 am

DudeAnon wrote:
robinreed wrote:THE MONKEY IS OFF OUR BACK. The NLRB has voted against unions for private university sports. Now compensation if any will be entirely up to the NCAA except for the "autonomy" P5 who can pass their own rules. This NLRB ruling is the best of the available options, we should be appreciative.

I suspect some would agree and others would disagree however in the last analysis this decision is best for the universities, we will leave the student opinion up in the air for now.

Anon I must admit that to some extent I am influenced by my work history. In about 36 years of work I have experienced employers both private and government who were and were not unionized. I can honestly say that the worst work conditions and least productivity always were with the union workplaces. This is especially true when I was teaching. OEA is the single most self serving, dishonest and hypocritical organization I have ever encountered (of course I have not encountered the mafia.) However I am sure some will take the opposite opinion as we all seldom look at the world and see exactly the same thing.
robinreed

Postby DudeAnon » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:40 am

robinreed wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:

I suspect some would agree and others would disagree however in the last analysis this decision is best for the universities, we will leave the student opinion up in the air for now.

Anon I must admit that to some extent I am influenced by my work history. In about 36 years of work I have experienced employers both private and government who were and were not unionized. I can honestly say that the worst work conditions and least productivity always were with the union workplaces. This is especially true when I was teaching. OEA is the single most self serving, dishonest and hypocritical organization I have ever encountered (of course I have not encountered the mafia.) However I am sure some will take the opposite opinion as we all seldom look at the world and see exactly the same thing.

I haven't had enough career experience to make a similar comparison. Just seems to me there has to be some way of giving the student-athletes a seat at the table beyond what they have know.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board