Any off season buzz from your team(s)?

The home for Big East hoops

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:33 pm

Anyone hearing anything of note on your squads as these kids get to campus and start working out together?

Nova board seems to pretty bullish about what the staff is saying about Mikal Bridges (Top 100 recruit who red shirted last year). 6'7", 7'+ wingspan; good shooter. Also a lot of debate about who is going to start between Phil Booth and Jalen Brunson (alongside Arch).

Any news of interest from other programs?
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Any off season buzz from your team(s)?

Postby R Jay » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:06 pm

- Ronnie Harrell, a top 100 recruit who redshirted last year, is really impressing on the practice court. I don't think he starts, but I expect he plays starter's minutes on the wing. He's a big, 6'8 3 point shooter who has really good handles. He has gotten stronger and a bit taller during his redshirt year and has come a long way defensively, too.
- Khyri "Taz" Thomas, a freshmen, looks to be the freshmen who is most likely to play this season. He's a 6'3 wing with a long wingspan. He's probably the best on-ball defender (at the guard or wing positions) on the team right now and can really get to the basket. His jump shot is better than I expected it to be.
- Malik Albert, who joined a few weeks ago after attending JUCO, is a 6'1 combo guard who will likely back up Mo Watson at the point and play a little off the ball. He's a very quick, slashing type guard with a good 3 point stroke. He needs to put on some muscle and more weight, but he'll definitely make an impact this year.
- Toby Hegner and James Milliken had minor surgeries a few weeks back, but are already back on the practice court. James is looking more polished all around on the offensive end and Toby has put on a bit more weight and gotten a bit stronger. Toby's handling the ball more (and better) in practice and his 3 point shot also looks more consistent.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby handdownmandown » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:42 pm

Wait, you can get away with redshirting top 100 players?
handdownmandown

Postby yorost » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:45 pm

There's no Buzz at Marquette, now.
yorost

Postby R Jay » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:38 pm

yorost wrote:There's no Buzz at Marquette, now.

“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby DudeAnon » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:29 pm

No injuries yet, that is all I am worried about.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby robinreed » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:47 pm

I was at a pub in Norwood 2 Saturdays ago and someone there said that O'Mara had hurt his ankle. Does anyone know if this is true? If true how serious is it. I did not know the person who was speaking nor can I vouch for anything he says or know how well he is connected to XU or if he is connected at all.

Other than that I have heard nothing negative and am looking forward to a good season.
robinreed

Postby Xudash » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:58 pm

yorost wrote:There's no Buzz at Marquette, now.

Well played.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby hoyahooligan » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:00 am

Hearing great reports from Kenner League for all of our Freshmen. Obviously the biggest concern was whether Jessie Govan would be ready to man the Center spot from Day 1. Those fears have been put to rest for me at least. I'll be in DC next weekend to check out the team in person, but from the reports all 3 freshmen are capable of contributing and at least Govan and Derrickson will. Derrickson is a Draymond Green type player. He can also really hit the 3 at 6'8. Kaleb Johnson is a high energy guy who grabs a lot of boards at 6'4 but can also handle the ball and shoot jumpers.
hoyahooligan

Postby TBC Alum » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:29 am

hoyahooligan wrote:Hearing great reports from Kenner League for all of our Freshmen. Obviously the biggest concern was whether Jessie Govan would be ready to man the Center spot from Day 1. Those fears have been put to rest for me at least. I'll be in DC next weekend to check out the team in person, but from the reports all 3 freshmen are capable of contributing and at least Govan and Derrickson will. Derrickson is a Draymond Green type player. He can also really hit the 3 at 6'8. Kaleb Johnson is a high energy guy who grabs a lot of boards at 6'4 but can also handle the ball and shoot jumpers.

Italy trip this year, correct? That will have to help the young team immensely.
CU clap clap CU
TBC Alum

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board