2015 Basketball Attendance Numbers

The home for Big East hoops

Re: 2015 Basketball Attendance Numbers

Postby marquette » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:40 am

Sumdumguy wrote:The Omaha market sucks. Should have taken St. Louis, or even Dayton. That would have gotten butts in the seats. Indianapolis, DC, NYC, Chicago and St. Louis, that's where our teams need to be if we are ever going to get people to come watch. Omaha? He'll no, not Omaha. They drive tractors to school in Omaha. Indoor plumbing? Nope, not there. I'd go watch a game there but the line to pee in the corn field out back is too long.

Just for the sake of curiosity, did you actually look at the list? Allow me to enlighten you , 17,000+

I realize this is a troll post, just can't help myself.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby admin » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:12 am

Sumdumguy wrote:The Omaha market sucks. Should have taken St. Louis, or even Dayton. That would have gotten butts in the seats. Indianapolis, DC, NYC, Chicago and St. Louis, that's where our teams need to be if we are ever going to get people to come watch. Omaha? He'll no, not Omaha. They drive tractors to school in Omaha. Indoor plumbing? Nope, not there. I'd go watch a game there but the line to pee in the corn field out back is too long.

I hate playing hall monitor here, but I can see that you're posting from Omaha.

admin
Site Admin

Postby hoyahooligan » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:28 am

DudeAnon wrote:I am surprised Georgetown pulled in that much, they're home crowd seems pretty weak.

It's because our arena sits 20,000+ if we had xavier's gym it'd look like we were near a sell out every game.
hoyahooligan

Postby stever20 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:57 am

hoyahooligan wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:I am surprised Georgetown pulled in that much, they're home crowd seems pretty weak.

It's because our arena sits 20,000+ if we had xavier's gym it'd look like we were near a sell out every game.

Not only that- but we also had a OOC game with Kansas that drew 14k. We had 4 games(Kansas, Villanova, Butler, and Seton Hall-last game) average 14,125ish. The other 12 games only averaged 8113.

Of the other 6 conference home games- 4 of the 6 were either Tuesday/Wednesday night games. The 2 worst games- Providence on a Wednesday night 9pm drew 7981 and DePaul 8pm on a Saturday drew 7984. Of those 6 games, only Creighton at 11,164 drew more than 10k.

You take the Creighton game out, and we averaged only 7837.
stever20

Postby Sumdumguy » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:57 am

That wasn't supposed to be taken seriously...
Sumdumguy

Postby NJRedman » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:24 am

stever20 wrote:yes and no. Part of it is having 11 OOC home games. While yes, you have some games at MSG that didn't help much at all either. Gonzaga only drew 5,548. Minnesota only 5,128. Also it doesn't matter where you play games like NJIT, Franklin Pearce, LIU, Niagara, Fairleigh Dickinson- you wouldn't draw much for those games even if they were at MSG. Fordham game was at MSG and only got 8074. Only drew 8565 for Villanova, 7532 for Marquette, and 8973 for Providence and 6634 for Xavier. Part of it is scheduling 3 conference games at Carnesecca- but the 6 conference games at MSG only averaged 9346.

Gonzaga and Minnesota were neutral site games that our season ticket holders didn't automatically get tickets to. Also those two games were the day before and the day after Thanksgiving.
NJRedman

Postby stever20 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:30 am

NJRedman wrote:
stever20 wrote:yes and no. Part of it is having 11 OOC home games. While yes, you have some games at MSG that didn't help much at all either. Gonzaga only drew 5,548. Minnesota only 5,128. Also it doesn't matter where you play games like NJIT, Franklin Pearce, LIU, Niagara, Fairleigh Dickinson- you wouldn't draw much for those games even if they were at MSG. Fordham game was at MSG and only got 8074. Only drew 8565 for Villanova, 7532 for Marquette, and 8973 for Providence and 6634 for Xavier. Part of it is scheduling 3 conference games at Carnesecca- but the 6 conference games at MSG only averaged 9346.

Gonzaga and Minnesota were neutral site games that our season ticket holders didn't automatically get tickets to. Also those two games were the day before and the day after Thanksgiving.

Gonzaga and Minnesota were/are counted as home games for St John's since that's their home arena. So was the Big East Tournament.
stever20

Postby Doge McDermott » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:00 am

I know there's a thread somewhere on this, but the discussion kind of fits here, too.

Marquette fans, what's the deal with the Bucks threatening to leave MKE? How will it affect you? If they get a new arena, will you all get free reign on the Bradley Center, or will you move to the new place? What would be capacity, and do you think you'd fill it every home game?

I have to imagine that if the pro team leaves, you all will probably see a bump in attendance. If they get the new arena, you'll also see some increased ticket sales. It's a win-win situation for you guys.

I've wanted to make a weekend trip up to MKE to watch a Creighton-Marquette game, but they are always on a weekday. Same with CU-Butler. I know it's a long shot, but make it happen, Val.
Doge McDermott

Postby marquette » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:01 pm

Doge McDermott wrote:I know there's a thread somewhere on this, but the discussion kind of fits here, too.

Marquette fans, what's the deal with the Bucks threatening to leave MKE? How will it affect you? If they get a new arena, will you all get free reign on the Bradley Center, or will you move to the new place? What would be capacity, and do you think you'd fill it every home game?

I have to imagine that if the pro team leaves, you all will probably see a bump in attendance. If they get the new arena, you'll also see some increased ticket sales. It's a win-win situation for you guys.

I've wanted to make a weekend trip up to MKE to watch a Creighton-Marquette game, but they are always on a weekday. Same with CU-Butler. I know it's a long shot, but make it happen, Val.

The Bucks aren't threatening to leave so much as the NBA is threatening to take them away if we don't get a new arena. It looks like it will probably happen at this point. The state/city/county are being asked to foot half of the $500 million price tag. The Bucks bring in over $6 million per year just by income tax on players. This will go up when the salary cap is increased next year. The Bradley Center needs around $100 million in maintenance over the next 10 years including a new HVAC system. If we get a new arena the BC is likely going to be demolished to avoid those costs (I believe the Bucks' new owners are on the hook for demolition, but not 100% sure). The BC is a hockey arena, the new arena will be a basketball arena. We will no longer be scheduling alongside the local AHL hockey team, who are moving to the Panther arena, so there should be some more availability.

The new arena itself is expected to be around 17,000 seats. We will most likely only fill it to capacity once or twice a year. I expect a slight bump in attendance for the first year, but can't really predict beyond that. Attendance is generally pretty strongly correlated to performance from the previous season as well as expectations for the current one. I expect a bump in attendance this year because we are expected to be better, we have a lottery pick on the team, and we are not playing any games at the Al. The Bucks leaving would probably increase our attendance to a point, but we work closely with them in several ventures, including our upcoming sports science project. They also practice at the Al on occasion. Overall, I think most Marquette fans view having the Bucks around as a benefit to the University and the basketball program.

Here's hoping we get you on a weekend some time. I'm sure you'll enjoy Milwaukee if you ever do get the chance to visit. Happy to give recommendations if you need.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby Letsgonova » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:28 pm

If the Bucks did leave, who would be on the hook/willing to pay for those updates to the BC? Would the city put up that cash just to keep some sort of arena going downtown?

I just bought a condo out in Franklin because work takes me out to MKE a lot, so my presence at the next 'Nova-MU game is becoming quite likely. Liking the town a lot.
Letsgonova

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board