2015 Basketball Attendance Numbers

The home for Big East hoops

Re: 2015 Basketball Attendance Numbers

Postby marquette » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:37 am

Letsgonova wrote:If the Bucks did leave, who would be on the hook/willing to pay for those updates to the BC? Would the city put up that cash just to keep some sort of arena going downtown?

I just bought a condo out in Franklin because work takes me out to MKE a lot, so my presence at the next 'Nova-MU game is becoming quite likely. Liking the town a lot.

I believe the city is on the hook for the BC if the Bucks leave. My guess is our rent might go up in order to offset some of the cost, but we will also be the biggest draw left at the arena so our bargaining power would be increased as well. It would be strange for a city the size of Milwaukee to not have an arena with more than 10,000 seats, but with Wisconsin the way it is right now who knows if they would want to keep the BC going long term.

If they don't, I would expect the university to start putting together some sort of campaign to raise money for something along the lines of a 15,000 seat on-campus arena. We need an arena bigger than the Panther arena and could probably build one suitable for college ball for around $100-150 million. If there is one thing we have in spades at the moment it is land. We have purchased a ton of property over the last year and no plans have been announced for most of it (really only the one parcel is spoken for, as it will contain our new soccer/lacrosse field house and sports medicine research facility). I would expect the university to sit on most of the property until this business is all sorted out.

All in all I'd rather have the Bucks new arena. The proposed location is close to campus, we wouldn't have to raise the extra money (we are already planning to upgrade the dorms, build a new student recreation center, upgrade some academic buildings, build the fieldhouse/sports medicine research center, etc.), we would get to play in one of the nicest arenas any college team gets to use, and we would get to keep our relationship with the Bucks.

Franklin is a nice town. Obviously, since I go to school here I live in the city. If you ever get the chance I highly recommend the beer gardens in Estabrook and Hubbard park. If you are in town at all you should definitely check out some of the festivals too, lots of fun.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby cu blujs » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:44 am

marquette wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:The Omaha market sucks. Should have taken St. Louis, or even Dayton. That would have gotten butts in the seats. Indianapolis, DC, NYC, Chicago and St. Louis, that's where our teams need to be if we are ever going to get people to come watch. Omaha? He'll no, not Omaha. They drive tractors to school in Omaha. Indoor plumbing? Nope, not there. I'd go watch a game there but the line to pee in the corn field out back is too long.

Just for the sake of curiosity, did you actually look at the list? Allow me to enlighten you , 17,000+

I realize this is a troll post, just can't help myself.

Sarcasm meter check.
cu blujs

Postby stever20 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:07 am

NJRedman wrote:
stever20 wrote:yes and no. Part of it is having 11 OOC home games. While yes, you have some games at MSG that didn't help much at all either. Gonzaga only drew 5,548. Minnesota only 5,128. Also it doesn't matter where you play games like NJIT, Franklin Pearce, LIU, Niagara, Fairleigh Dickinson- you wouldn't draw much for those games even if they were at MSG. Fordham game was at MSG and only got 8074. Only drew 8565 for Villanova, 7532 for Marquette, and 8973 for Providence and 6634 for Xavier. Part of it is scheduling 3 conference games at Carnesecca- but the 6 conference games at MSG only averaged 9346.

Gonzaga and Minnesota were neutral site games that our season ticket holders didn't automatically get tickets to. Also those two games were the day before and the day after Thanksgiving.

They are counted as home games since they were at MSG. Basically any game St John's plays at MSG is counted as a home game(so BET counts as a home game as well for instance).

So there are things that explain St John's attendance, but still- to have the 6 top conference games drawing only 9346 isn't great at all.
stever20

Postby marquette » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:11 am

cu blujs wrote:
marquette wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:The Omaha market sucks. Should have taken St. Louis, or even Dayton. That would have gotten butts in the seats. Indianapolis, DC, NYC, Chicago and St. Louis, that's where our teams need to be if we are ever going to get people to come watch. Omaha? He'll no, not Omaha. They drive tractors to school in Omaha. Indoor plumbing? Nope, not there. I'd go watch a game there but the line to pee in the corn field out back is too long.

Just for the sake of curiosity, did you actually look at the list? Allow me to enlighten you , 17,000+

Sarcasm meter check.

Let's just say that if I'm posting at 3 am my sarcasm meter isn't going to be the only thing I'm a little off on.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby UD FAN » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:33 am

Flyers in at 24th @ 12,718 per game. Not bad.
UD FAN

Postby R Jay » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:27 pm

marquette wrote:
cu blujs wrote:
marquette wrote:Just for the sake of curiosity, did you actually look at the list? Allow me to enlighten you , 17,000+

Sarcasm meter check.

Let's just say that if I'm posting at 3 am my sarcasm meter isn't going to be the only thing I'm a little off on.

You win the internet, today, Marquette. :lol:
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board