handdownmandown

Re: Top 144

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby cujaysfan » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:48 pm

Chief Wiggum wrote:
mel ott wrote:
Jet915 wrote:I dont see Seton Hall being better than PC. The guy knows that Willard is the coach right?

They won't be finishing ahead of Creighton, either. I like that CU is under the radar.

Creighton fans said similar things last year before the season started. A last place finish would humble most fanbases.

having tim miles as coach would probably cause most fan bases to commit seppeku - i see you don't have that level of honor.

and - weren't your huskers picked up to second in the big ten last season? how did that work out for you and your fanbase?

(sorry BE fans - husker troll alert)
cujaysfan

Postby marquette » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:41 pm

stever20 wrote:
Jet915 wrote:
stever20 wrote:just looking- up to #63 now- no more Big East schools...

18 teams in the tourney now by their count, so that leaves 50 slots left. So next team in, #62 would be the 12th team out of the tourney.

Like I've said before- when you get really even here- there's not that much difference in my mind from someone they project 39 to someone they project 62. It's really just like a game or 2 at most difference.

Utah St was #64 which shows my point about the MWC and just how far they've fallen. They are the #3 MWC school. It's remarkable how much the MWC has dropped here in the last 2-3 years. You look at their Ken Pom ranks- and especially last 2 years- they've dropped like a rock. They were a Wyoming loss last year in the tourney from having only 2 tourney teams.

The addition of San Jose State which is one of the worst D1 programs last year doesnt help...

true. And what is scary for them is what happens in a few years after Fisher retires from San Diego St(he's 70). They are the gold standard for the MWC right now. They lose that, and the MWC is probably worse than C-USA even.

I'll just leave this here.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... violations
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby stever20 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:56 pm

marquette wrote:I'll just leave this here.

um, that's not the angle I was getting at, more natural type of stuff, but that would be even more devastating quite frankly. Wow.
stever20

Postby Jet915 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:30 pm

stever20 wrote:
marquette wrote:I'll just leave this here.

um, that's not the angle I was getting at, more natural type of stuff, but that would be even more devastating quite frankly. Wow.

Ouch, and they arent in a big time conference to hide behind like UNC is...
Jet915

Postby jaxalum » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:37 pm

having tim miles as coach would probably cause most fan bases to commit seppeku - i see you don't have that level of honor.

and - weren't your huskers picked up to second in the big ten last season? how did that work out for you and your fanbase?

(sorry BE fans - husker troll alert)

Impressive comeback Cujaysfan. Ive heard snippets here and there from Creighton fans concerning your instate rivals, the Cornhuskers. How hardcore would you characterize the rivalry? They have the football program, but I see Creighton's basketball program as head and shoulders above theirs. As an outsider looking at the dynamics and logistics of the rivalry, is it a mere somewhat consistent annoyance or abhorrence for their very existence? As a Xavier fan, the situation seems eerily similar to our "relationship" with Univ of Cincy. Public vs Private, large vs small enrollment. etc
Xavier
jaxalum

Postby handdownmandown » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:55 pm

Please, allow me.

There's a dynamic in the state with a lot of people (read: non-CU fans) that the university in Lincoln is the beginning and the end of the conversation when it comes to college sports. It's all Big Red, all the time. For awhile we were ignored (70s-80s, when we were good and they weren't); then when Nee had some good teams and we were down they played us and beat us around some. Then, they went in the tank and we rose up and have basically owned the series since.

The problem with their attitudes now stems from that: for years, we were generally looked down upon in a sort of dismissive way, as if CU rising up and winning was just a blip. First it was Barry Collier, then Doc Sadler, now Miles, who were going to restore the natural order of things in the state, i.e. NU first, everyone else to the back of the bus. So even though they've gotten waxed for a generation (I could be wrong but I think we're 14-4 in the last 18 meetings), the feeling until recently was that we were temprorary.

Well, us coming to the BE blew that out the door; they always had the 'well, you're just a nice story from the Missouri Valley' comeback in their pocket to break out when confronted with a CU reality reminder, but no more. They're a skittish bunch nowadays anyway, what with the football program more and more becoming a tertiary power (read: minor bowl participant). In fact it's widely known they killed off Nebraska-Omaha's football program when they jumped to D-1 because they didn't want another in-state program to deal with.

So now, they're pissed. We have gone from a nice story that can be ignored to something really annoying but a situation that will eventually right itself to a genuine threat to relegating their program to in-state also ran status, and ever since they have entered the third stage their fans are fighting like hell. Holy freaking heck, am I not kidding. There were threads on their board last fall about our game with them in Lincoln that were the most talked about threads going - and this was over a month before the meeting!

And then you get stuff like this, on a Big East board, where an Omaha based NU fan does nothing but whine about CU. Talk about validating the current hierarchy!
handdownmandown

Postby mel ott » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:59 pm

jaxalum wrote:Impressive comeback Cujaysfan. Ive heard snippets here and there from Creighton fans concerning your instate rivals, the Cornhuskers. How hardcore would you characterize the rivalry? They have the football program, but I see Creighton's basketball program as head and shoulders above theirs. As an outsider looking at the dynamics and logistics of the rivalry, is it a mere somewhat consistent annoyance or abhorrence for their very existence? As a Xavier fan, the situation seems eerily similar to our "relationship" with Univ of Cincy. Public vs Private, large vs small enrollment. etc

The skurs used to own the state and Omaha. The sports reporting is still 24x7 skur football. The media types are like reporters for the school newspaper. They football team hasn't been relevant for 15 plus years, but still live in the past and is discussed daily. They basically give away their tickets to the bball games to get attendance. Mac has beaten Miles, I believe all 11 times they have met; including games in their early years at smaller schools. Creighton has made huge in roads in Omaha and the state ( with the #6 attendance in the country) and gets most of the local talent, including the last two years Gatorade players of the year ( Thomas and Patton who both should be very good). Lastly, NU has NEVER won an NCAA tournie game ( along with Northwestern and maybe one other). Last year, they were picked to kill CU ( since we had lost most everyone) and when we won by 10 at their place, the next day the sports opinion guy ( a NU grad) said he would get to the game later, because there were other things to discuss. Sad, but true ( he never did get to that column). Bottom line is that Creighton fans are excited to be in the Big East and with Fox so we don't have to rely on local coverage!
mel ott

Postby OmahaGuy » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:29 pm

Honestly, I'd BARELY even call the Huskers a rival. We've beaten their asses for the last 15 years (except a few slip-ups). IMO, it's only a rivalry because of in-state proximity (so basically a forced rivalry lol). The REAL rivalries don't just have beef between the fanbases, their games are CONSISTENTLY COMPETITIVE. Last 4 years, Jays have beaten them by double digits each time. They aren't really our biggest rival and we're their biggest rival.
OmahaGuy

Postby Chief Wiggum » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:06 pm

Yes, clearly Creighton fans have zero animosity towards Nebraska. That's evident by this thread. You guys are getting all worked up and I'm not even a Nebraska fan! :lol:
Chief Wiggum

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board