ESPN's Big East Previews

The home for Big East hoops

Re: ESPN's Big East Previews

Postby Hoopfan » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:18 pm

Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:It’s never too early to start to look ahead to next season. Over the coming weeks, ESPN will examine what comes next for each team in the Power 5 conferences and also those outside the Power 5 who could make noise on the national stage.

OmahaGuy wrote:Are they seriously just going to ignore the Jays, Marquette, DePaul, and Seton Hall??

Do you seriously think all those (or any) teams have a chance to make "noise on the national stage"?
Hoopfan

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DudeAnon » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:36 pm

Hoopfan wrote:
Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:It’s never too early to start to look ahead to next season. Over the coming weeks, ESPN will examine what comes next for each team in the Power 5 conferences and also those outside the Power 5 who could make noise on the national stage.

OmahaGuy wrote:Are they seriously just going to ignore the Jays, Marquette, DePaul, and Seton Hall??

Do you seriously think all those (or any) teams have a chance to make "noise on the national stage"?

Well, I think the original point was that our conference deserves equal coverage to the P5. But too answer the question, I think Marquette and Seton Hall could make noise. Both have a potential lottery pick on their team and decent supporting casts.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby warriorfan4life » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:44 pm

I can also envision Creighton making the tourney next year if a few things go right. Certainly more likely that they make it then Northwestern, and at least 1/3 of the other Football Five schools. The Big East should again be one of the top 2-3 conferences overall thanks to its strong depth, and I would not worry about the idiots at ESPN ignoring the conference that they do not have the television rights to.
Marquette
warriorfan4life

Postby Hoopfan » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:11 am

I dont know who has what coming back this upcoming year but the way I read OPs first post is all conferences would only have their "top" teams covered and not entire conference?
Hoopfan

Postby MUBoxer » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:02 am

Hoopfan wrote:

Do you seriously think SJU has a chance to make noise?
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby milksteak » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:24 pm

Marquette definitely has the best chance to make a big turnaround. Creighton is probably second on that list.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:49 am

ESPN's Big East Preview - July 22, 2015

There’s no overwhelming favorite, but Villanova, Georgetown, Xavier, and Butler can all make a reasonable case as the top team in the league.

Nova might have the best backcourt as long as freshman point guard Jalen Brunson, ranked No. 16 in the ESPN 100, and senior guard Ryan Arcidiacono can find a medium to coexist.

The Hoyas may have the best player in the league in guard D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera, who led the team in scoring with 16.3 points per game last season. Smith-Rivera should have more help this season thanks to a top-25 recruiting class led by center Jessie Govan.

The Musketeers returned six of their top eight players from last season, including Trevon Bluiett, the leading returning scorer. They'll also get a boost from the healthy return of guard Edmond Sumner, who sat out after just six games last season with knee problems.

The Bulldogs’ senior trio of Roosevelt Jones, Kellen Dunham and Andrew Chrabascz should help them improve offensively, although Butler may not measure up to the team that ranked seventh nationally in adjusted defense, according to Ken Pomeroy.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:59 pm

More of the same - this time from CBS Sports:

Big East Summer School: Key players back for Villanova, Georgetown - CBS Sports - July 29, 2015

Villanova figures to be the class of the league once again, with Georgetown likely pushing the Wildcats in conference play after a tough non-conference slate. Both teams could be among the best 20 teams in the country -- as they are in CBSSports.com's Top 25 (and one) -- but recent tournament shortfalls will be in the minds of many.

The Big East may not hold its top two RPI ranking through the season like it did a year ago, but the makeup of the league's top four teams -- Nova, Georgetown, Xavier and Butler -- have me thinking that the Big East will bounce back with at least two teams playing on the second weekend in March.

Five biggest offseason questions for Big East basketball - CBS Sports - July 29, 2015

1. Is the Big East on par with the other power five conferences?

2. Which freshman is drastically flying under-the-radar?

3. Who will be Xavier's point guard?

4. Does Providence have enough of a supporting cast around Kris Dunn?

5. Who is the sleeper?
Fieldhouse Flyer

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board