Obekpa is history

The home for Big East hoops

Obekpa is history

Postby OmahaGuy » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:34 pm

Thread title basically speaks for itself. Per Zach Braziller of the NY Post, he tweeted Obekpa is done in Queens. I may not be a Johnnies fan, but if I am one, I look at this as addition by subtraction. Mullin has implemented much more strict rules in practices and Obekpa didn't want to follow. He (like Rysheed Jordan) was incredibly talented but they were also knuckleheads. It's good to see that Mullin is cleaning house and getting HIS players into the program.
OmahaGuy

Obekpa is history

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Obekpa is history

Postby DudeAnon » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:32 pm

OmahaGuy wrote:Thread title basically speaks for itself. Per Zach Braziller of the NY Post, he tweeted Obekpa is done in Queens. I may not be a Johnnies fan, but if I am one, I look at this as addition by subtraction. Mullin has implemented much more strict rules in practices and Obekpa didn't want to follow. He (like Rysheed Jordan) was incredibly talented but they were also knuckleheads. It's good to see that Mullin is cleaning house and getting HIS players into the program.

Source? Odds are he was advised that he could make the NBA if he went to play for a top tier school. Don't be surprised to see Kansas etc. trying to get him. St. Johns will be bad this year, he probably made the right choice.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby OmahaGuy » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:49 pm

DudeAnon wrote:
OmahaGuy wrote:Thread title basically speaks for itself. Per Zach Braziller of the NY Post, he tweeted Obekpa is done in Queens. I may not be a Johnnies fan, but if I am one, I look at this as addition by subtraction. Mullin has implemented much more strict rules in practices and Obekpa didn't want to follow. He (like Rysheed Jordan) was incredibly talented but they were also knuckleheads. It's good to see that Mullin is cleaning house and getting HIS players into the program.

Source? Odds are he was advised that he could make the NBA if he went to play for a top tier school. Don't be surprised to see Kansas etc. trying to get him. St. Johns will be bad this year, he probably made the right choice.

http://nypost.com/2015/06/24/chris-obek ... ct-regime/
OmahaGuy

Postby Jet915 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:22 pm

Might be addition by subtraction....Obekba and Jordan were not team players. Now he can smoke all the pot he wants.
Jet915

Postby DudeAnon » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:43 pm

OmahaGuy wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:

Backing it up with a source, I dig it. But this is great news for St. Johns. If nothing else Mullin has already proven wisdom in going after talented recruiters and a backbone in not bending his rules for Obekpa.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby R Jay » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:58 pm

I don't know. He might have been a locker room problem, but that's another huge blow to next year's team. Like him or not, Obekpa is very talented. I haven't looked at their roster yet, but I don't think anyone is left from last year's rotation and I didn't think they had a lot of front court depth in the first place.
It's probably better for the long run, but I just can't see how this helps in the short term.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:26 pm

Obekpa is one of the top defensive 5's in the country. Jordan has 1st round NBA draft talent. Not sure I buy the addition by subtraction mantra. If SJU had capable young players behind them it's one thing but their cupboards seems pretty bare right now. I have faith that, in the long run, Mullin will steer SJU better than Lavin but in 2015-16 this team is not going to be very good. They basically lost their top 6 players (Harrison, Branch, Pointer, Green, Jordan, Obekpa). And last year they went maybe 7 deep. I hate to say it but I fully expect the Johnnies to finish in last this year, and probably by a decent margin.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby stever20 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:02 am

The way I look at Jordan and Obekpa- if they both were there, what was the maximum potential for St John's this year? Maybe a 18-14 type season. They would have still been bringing in a lot of new players and they have a brutal OOC schedule. This team wasn't going to with them win 20+ games by any stretch of the imagination. So this year they maybe go 8-24 worst case. I don't think that hurts the program by any stretch of the imagination. I mean, look at Temple from 2 years ago. was a total throw away year, but then look how they bounced back.

(and note, I'm not saying that Obekpa/Jordan were worth 10 wins necessarily just saying best case where they get some early success and carry that thru the season- or worst case where they start slow, and never recover).
stever20

Postby ChestRockwell85 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:16 am

I am a Villanova guy but I just wrote this e-mail to my buddy who is a St. John's fan, so I am just going to copy and paste it here because it pretty much sums up my thoughts......

"I''d be totally fine with Obekpa and Jordan leaving. It is going to hurt next year and next year only, other than that it sends the message for the long-term that Mullin isn't going to deal with the BS and is looking for guys who are going to buy into a program.

Jay uses the same approach and it hasn't hurt at all. I am not saying we would have landed Briscoe, I think he was a Kentucky type guy to begin with, but Jay backed off Briscoe for this very reason.
I think the last guy Jay recruited where there was fear of baggage was Tyreke Evans but everybody knew he was a one-and-done anyway.

I completely respect what Mullin is doing and it is going to be for the best in the long run.

Can't wait to get back to Carnesecca!"
1985 / 2016 / 2018 NATIONAL CHAMPS gtmoBlue is my homeboy
ChestRockwell85

Postby Doge McDermott » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:40 pm

OmahaGuy wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:

Mandatory Flattops for everyone?
Doge McDermott

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board