Don't Hurry

The home for Big East hoops

Don't Hurry

Postby butlerguy03 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:57 pm

To the BE7 from a Butler fan: don't rush. Get what you need from the others, add BU & XU...then wait a year or two to see what happens with the ACC. Imagine if Notre Dame, Duke or Wake Forest become available?!

I know Duke & Wake have FBS teams, but they are not worth much to TV (very small alumni bases, etc)...and could save the schools some $$ by dropping them to FCS.
Butler University '03
butlerguy03

Don't Hurry

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Don't Hurry

Postby yorost » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:02 pm

In the case Duke, Wake, and Notre Dame all became available and were willing to join, we'd just add them. No problem going to a bigger conference if you're adding a program like Duke.

I can't see either dropping FBS unless things get really bad for them, though.
yorost

Postby BillEsq » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:07 pm

yorost wrote:In the case Duke, Wake, and Notre Dame all became available and were willing to join, we'd just add them. No problem going to a bigger conference if you're adding a program like Duke.

I can't see either dropping FBS unless things get really bad for them, though.

I have to agree none are dropping FBS and only ND have the power to go as an I. Once you realize how much money you have to commit to facilities to go FBS you realize that there is no going back...
BillEsq

Postby Eight Legger » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:07 pm

Wake played in the Orange Bowl not too long ago, if memory serves. I don't see them downgrading their program. Duke finally got back to a bowl game this year. Even though Richmond beat them three straight times in the past decade, I also can't see them dropping down to FCS.
University of Richmond, Class of '98
Eight Legger

Postby admin » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:15 pm

I think it's safe to say the C7 schools don't want anything to do with schools playing FBS football.
admin
Site Admin

Postby DeltaV » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:53 pm

I know we're all feeling good after the little coup we've just pulled, but we need to put down the crack pipe with regards to getting an ACC team. We didn't even have interest from UConn, arguably one of the top basketball programs from the past decade or so with a mediocre football program. No way we would get a team getting ACC money with our 3-4 million a year.

Maybe in 15 years or so ,when the superconferences finally give up the pretenses that football players are 'amateurs' and they officially become a 64 team NFL minor league, some of the smaller teams may drop down to NCAA FCS football level, but I think we have a while until that actually happens.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Return to Big East basketball message board