2015-16 Preview #1: Creighton

The home for Big East hoops

Re: 2015-16 Preview #1: Creighton

Postby Edrick » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:37 pm

There's really no chance the Jays won't be picked 9th.

There's a big gap around 7th.
Edrick

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby warriorfan4life » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:33 pm

Edrick wrote:There's really no chance the Jays won't be picked 9th.

I think it would be foolish to have Creighton anything lower then 7th/8th. They were significantly better then DePaul last year (85th in the Pomeroys compared to 167th for DePaul), just terribly unlucky in close games. They also have a group of strong newcomers in Watson, Huff, Harrell, and Patton (and the new JUCO commit could be a nice wild card), plus solid returnees in Milliken, Groselle, Zierden (if healthy), and Hegner. I had them a clear 7th, but St. John's looks to be an intriguing roster (that is young and pretty size deficient, but possessing lots of skill and shooting), so it may become a toss-up for 7th and 8th.
Marquette
warriorfan4life

Postby FlyJays » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:38 am

warriorfan4life wrote:
Edrick wrote:There's really no chance the Jays won't be picked 9th.

I think it would be foolish to have Creighton anything lower then 7th/8th. They were significantly better then DePaul last year (85th in the Pomeroys compared to 167th for DePaul), just terribly unlucky in close games. They also have a group of strong newcomers in Watson, Huff, Harrell, and Patton (and the new JUCO commit could be a nice wild card), plus solid returnees in Milliken, Groselle, Zierden (if healthy), and Hegner. I had them a clear 7th, but St. John's looks to be an intriguing roster (that is young and pretty size deficient, but possessing lots of skill and shooting), so it may become a toss-up for 7th and 8th.

I think that's a reasonable assessment. St. John's is going to struggle without Obekpa on defense, I believe, but they do have some intriguing pieces. Who plays the 5 for them?

The Jays will be much improved talent-wise next season, but it's still going to be tough to crack anything higher than 6th when you look at the league as a whole. It's going to take Huff and Watson a little bit to get used to Big East play, I think. They were great players at Nevada and Boston U, respectively, but this is a big jump up. The same can be said for Patton. By all accounts, he'll be a major impact player by the time he's done at Creighton, but I'm not sure that's this year. He'll certainly play meaningful minutes, but to expect him to walk in and be an all-league player is foolish. 2016-17 brings us a real chance to finish top 3 again, with a minimally changed roster (Milliken the lone big loss) that has a year to gel, plus the addition of Marcus Foster and any new recruits.

As a side: I think people are underestimating the importance of having Milliken as a returner. He led the Jays in scoring in league games last year (12 ppg), but because we stunk up the place so bad, it went largely unnoticed among conference fans.
FlyJays

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:37 am

While I expect Creighton to do a "Butler-esque" turnaround this coming season. The evidence of last season coupled with several new players, makes it easy to predict that the Jays stay near the bottom. Especially as many attempt to minimize their respective teams losses this off season. Fair enough.

However, since all the league teams lost significant players and also bring in many newcomers as well, there will be much variance and fluctuation in the BE. After CU wins @ Indiana - heads will turn and begin to take notice. Imo the Jays will finish in the top 3 in conference play. The BE will do okay OOC, but will not be as tough in league play as last season.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby R Jay » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:51 am

Edited original post to include the addition of G Malik Albert and to indicate that C Geoff Groselle is walking on this season.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby TBC Alum » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:16 pm

Do ya think CU fans are excited for the coming year?
CU clap clap CU
TBC Alum

Postby handdownmandown » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:39 pm

It's Edrick; of course he is picking us ninth - it's part of who he is.
handdownmandown

Postby sciencejay » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:31 pm

Groselle is walking on this year? What gives? It's not like his dad is the coach...
sciencejay

Postby R Jay » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:39 pm

sciencejay wrote:Groselle is walking on this year? What gives? It's not like his dad is the coach...

The fact that he's in graduate school now and tuition is less than undergraduate is probably a pretty big factor. However, I would think that this is a pretty strong statement about how close the team is and how much respect there is for Mac. Not to mention how much he enjoys Creighton.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby Edrick » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:02 pm

I wasn't picking CU for anything, only saying where they will be picked. They simply aren't getting picked preseason higher than anyone other than perhaps DePaul. Who exactly would they get picked over and by whom?
Edrick

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board